Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sports shooting gear -- aftermarket clamps and replacement feet

mirandamember
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sports shooting gear -- aftermarket clamps and replacement feet

I have read Carl Auer's post and I hope this question is both brand generic enough and sports shooting specific enough for this forum:

Why spend hundreds on clamps,lens plates and replacement feet to attach big glass to monopods for sport shooting? Are Canon/Nikon etc. feet designed or constructed unsatisfactorily? Is the $$$ spent on clamps and lens plates to save a few seconds screwing in and unscrewing monopods to feet, or is there another reason?

I would think that both vibration and accident risk increase with the number of joints and fitting in the chain. But I don't know. Thanks for explaining this to me. I really enjoy the photographs here and the comments.

Sep 30, 2013 at 02:35 PM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sports shooting gear -- aftermarket clamps and replacement feet

I have the RRS foot for my 400 because the OEM one is a little too big. I'm guessing its because Nikon designed it to be used as a handle and a foot.

Either way, the 400 balances better with the RRS foot.

Sep 30, 2013 at 02:39 PM
ian408
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sports shooting gear -- aftermarket clamps and replacement feet

I have the RRS as well. Allows you to tripod mount to their head as well as providing a connection for a monopod. Sturdy connection too.

Sep 30, 2013 at 04:58 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sports shooting gear -- aftermarket clamps and replacement feet

It is personal preference. I personally like the original feet and normally screw my monopod right into the tripod foot. However, now that I find myself jumping in and out of the car on some days running from one shoot to the next, having a quick release makes that much easier.

But, clamps are a tool. RRS and similar clamps are very expensive, but very good and not for everyone.

Oct 01, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Widgic
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sports shooting gear -- aftermarket clamps and replacement feet

I have Wimberley feet on my long lenses for two reasons: they are lower profile (hence the lenses are easier to pack) and they are arca-swiss compatible. My monopods / tripods are all equipped with arca-swiss compatible clamps (no-brand stuff here), this ways it's fast to mount / remove the lenses and they can be balanced fore/aft.

Personally I can't understand why lens makers (Canon, Nikon, Sigma, etc...) are not making arca-swiss compatible feet on their lenses.

Denis
www.widgic.com

Oct 01, 2013 at 10:10 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.