Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

New Canon Mail-in and Instant Rebates

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · New Canon Mail-in and Instant Rebates

New Canon Mail-in and Instant Rebates

Canon USA just started a new rebate program. Some lenses will have the traditional Instant Rebate and some lenses will have a Canon Mail-in-Rebate. These rebates should run through the holidays.

Entire Rebate list of Canon Lenses and Speedlites

Sep 30, 2013 at 03:43 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · New Canon Mail-in and Instant Rebates

Always glad to see rebates - these usually mark the best times to buy lenses.

I'd describe the mail-in rebates as the "traditional" ones, since the so-called "instant rebates" replaced them a relatively small number of years ago. Some may not recall that the mail-in rebates led to some public relations problems for Canon when a number of buyers ran into problems trying to redeem them, which left Canon with a bit of "egg on the face." (The mail-in rebates were, if I recall correctly, processed by third-party contractors who all too often declared perfectly fine rebate applications to be incomplete or otherwise ineligible, necessitating some long and involved back-and-forth with the buyers, many of whom just gave up.)

In my view, the "instant rebates" have been a much more reliable and safe route, in that they leave out the middle man and eliminate a number of the circumstances that led to problems.

To be fair, many people were successful at redeeming the mail-in rebates, some with little or none of the hassle that affected others. Let's hope that the situation this time is not a repeat of the old pattern.

Those who do try the mail-in rebates should be extremely careful to:

- read the terms with great care

- submit the rebate materials well before the deadline

- fill out all forms very carefully and double check them before sending them in.

- be sure to obtain and then include all required materials.

- make photocopies of everything and store them until the rebate funds arrive.

- don't give up if your rebate is denied - immediately take the denial up with the rebate services, and be ready to contact Canon as well to register your complaint.

Good luck.

Dan

Sep 30, 2013 at 03:50 PM
2OHOH2
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · New Canon Mail-in and Instant Rebates

This might be a stupid question, but because it looks like it's possible to only get a rebate on one lens (per household), if I wanted to buy two (or more) lenses, say, a 24-70 and 70-200, would only one get a rebate?

Sep 30, 2013 at 04:39 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #4 · New Canon Mail-in and Instant Rebates

gdanmitchell wrote:
Always glad to see rebates - these usually mark the best times to buy lenses.

I'd describe the mail-in rebates as the "traditional" ones, since the so-called "instant rebates" replaced them a relatively small number of years ago. Some may not recall that the mail-in rebates led to some public relations problems for Canon when a number of buyers ran into problems trying to redeem them, which left Canon with a bit of "egg on the face." (The mail-in rebates were, if I recall correctly, processed by third-party contractors who all too often declared perfectly fine rebate applications to be incomplete
...Show more

....and don't forget to cut out the needed barcode piece on a lens box which was required for a Canon mail-in rebate several years back. I am not collecting lens boxes, but I always found it cumbersome to partially destroy the lens box by fulfilling this requirement. Not sure if the new mail-in rebate also asks for this though.

Sep 30, 2013 at 04:43 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #5 · New Canon Mail-in and Instant Rebates

YES, the new rebate form asks you to cut the needed barcode from the box.
Saw a post that Best Buy was doing double the coupon.
I didn't notice you could only do 1 lens per household.
Even though I'd like 3 of them, I can barely afford one.

Sep 30, 2013 at 04:47 PM
BrianP
• • • •
p.1 #6 · New Canon Mail-in and Instant Rebates

It is definitely only for 1 lens. I called.

Sep 30, 2013 at 05:52 PM
py2000
• •
p.1 #7 · New Canon Mail-in and Instant Rebates

Just need to have a few more households.... :P

Sep 30, 2013 at 08:38 PM
rockant
• •
p.1 #8 · New Canon Mail-in and Instant Rebates

py2000 wrote:
Just need to have a few more households.... :P

Friends have home addresses too!

Sep 30, 2013 at 08:58 PM
geniousc
• • •
p.1 #9 · New Canon Mail-in and Instant Rebates

It appears that the instant rebates are only good through Nov 23. The mail in ones are good through the holidays.

Gene

Sep 30, 2013 at 08:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

OutsideShooter
• • •
p.1 #10 · New Canon Mail-in and Instant Rebates

There is a way not to cut out the package with a hole, just use an exacto knife and carefully and lightly cut just through the printed paper, leaving the box intact. You can then peel away just the glossy paper.

Oct 01, 2013 at 12:54 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · New Canon Mail-in and Instant Rebates

OutsideShooter wrote:
There is a way not to cut out the package with a hole, just use an exacto knife and carefully and lightly cut just through the printed paper, leaving the box intact. You can then peel away just the glossy paper.

Except the directions on the form say very directly that you can't do that and even says there must be a hole in the box!! If you try that it will be an easy way for the rebate guys to deny your rebate. These rebate companies live to deny the rebate.

This is quoted in two places on the form:
"Your envelope containing this claim form, the section of the box bearing the original “Proof of Purchase” 12-digit UPC bar code cut from the Canon EF Lens box, and leaving a hole in the box, (we must receive “Proof of Purchase” with cardboard intact; do not peel off “Proof of Purchase” sticker);"

Oct 01, 2013 at 01:00 AM
glennh56
• •
p.1 #12 · New Canon Mail-in and Instant Rebates

Wish Nikon would follow suit and not require a DSLR purchase.

Oct 01, 2013 at 07:45 PM
jvphotos
• •
p.1 #13 · New Canon Mail-in and Instant Rebates

FWIW, someone might want to change the tag at the top of the forum that says "Canon 35 F2 IS for $599", since it's now $549. (The Bower seems to be back up to $379 too, I think?)

Just a heads-up.

Oct 01, 2013 at 09:17 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #14 · New Canon Mail-in and Instant Rebates

arbitrage wrote:
Except the directions on the form say very directly that you can't do that and even says there must be a hole in the box!! If you try that it will be an easy way for the rebate guys to deny your rebate. These rebate companies live to deny the rebate.

This is quoted in two places on the form:
"Your envelope containing this claim form, the section of the box bearing the original “Proof of Purchase” 12-digit UPC bar code cut from the Canon EF Lens box, and leaving a hole in the box, (we must receive “Proof of Purchase” with
...Show more

+1

I have heard many cases that they denied the rebate for this exact reason.

Oct 02, 2013 at 02:53 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · New Canon Mail-in and Instant Rebates

Wahoowa wrote:
+1

I have heard many cases that they denied the rebate for this exact reason.

In the past, when the mail-in rebates were the norm, rebates were denied for all kinds of reasons, ranging from legitimate to completely made up. (The rebates were processed by third-party contractors, not by Canon, and the "word on the street" was that it was in the contractors' interest to discourage as many rebates as possible.)

I won't recount the whole sordid tale here, but a bit if internet sleuthing should uncover the stories for anyone who is interested.

For my part, I eventually stopped buying anything from Canon that required a mail-in rebate process. I was very pleased when they adopted the more straight-forward "instant rebate" process, and I have used that to purchase gear since that change.

Dan

Oct 02, 2013 at 04:04 PM
BrianP
• • • •
p.1 #16 · New Canon Mail-in and Instant Rebates

BrianP wrote:
It is definitely only for 1 lens. I called.

Today, I noticed that on this page:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/save-up-to-300-with-select-ef-lens-mail-in-rebates-92913-010414

"Limit One Claim per Lens, per household. Claim form may include separate purchases of different lenses."

So, I called them...again. This time they told me that you could have refunds for multiple lenses...just not multiple copies of the same lens. This makes more sense than what the first person told me.

Oct 02, 2013 at 05:16 PM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #17 · New Canon Mail-in and Instant Rebates

In the past, when the mail-in rebates were the norm, rebates were denied for all kinds of reasons, ranging from legitimate to completely made up. (The rebates were processed by third-party contractors, not by Canon, and the "word on the street" was that it was in the contractors' interest to discourage as many rebates as possible.)

Well put, Dan. That's been my experience in the past with other items, especially if you're dealing with a certain company in Young America, Minnesota. They seem to go out of their way to reject you. I spent months for one rebate but they kept making up excuses.

From that point onward, I refuse to even acknowledge mail-in rebates for any item. I don't want a middleman - just give me the discount at checkout. I would prefer doing without an item than deal with the hassles.

Besides, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper for Canon to NOT have someone else handling the rebate?

Oct 02, 2013 at 07:12 PM
kapytalyst
• • •
p.1 #18 · New Canon Mail-in and Instant Rebates

I love how the prices of these lenses magically rise by the amount of the rebate (mail-in).

What a scam!

Oct 04, 2013 at 01:19 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password