Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · My Soccer Attempt

morenoar
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My Soccer Attempt

So, with shame and embarrassment, I submit my attempt at soccer shots. Let me have it

Shot 2

Shot 1

Edited on Sep 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:43 PM
morenoar
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My Soccer Attempt

Okay, for some reason, the upload makes them look HORRIBLE, compared to my laptop. But don't know how to make them better for upload

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My Soccer Attempt

After you've edited in photoshop, convert to sRGB profile. Re-size to about 800 pixels on the long side. Save as jpg at maybe quality 10. This image should be ready to post here without problem, unless there's something about the service you are using to store the images that is affecting the quality of what is posted. These look fine except for the problem you have cited.

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:03 PM
morenoar
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My Soccer Attempt

Russ, thank you and I will do that tomorrow for the same pictures. And your comment of being fine, is the type of comments I am looking for. The crop, action or I will try to upload new ones of the same.

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:26 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My Soccer Attempt

While you are at it, make sure you click on the "Show Exif" box. Of course, whatever software you are using for PP should be set to preserve vs strip out the exif data. Bit hard for constructive appraisal until you re-upload per Russ' suggestion.

Matt

Sep 30, 2013 at 08:09 AM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My Soccer Attempt

Ready, aim, fire.....

Just kidding. Welcome to the soccer discussion!

In your first shot "shot 2" :-) it looks like the head of the second player is growing from the player in the front. Upon closer review there is actually a player from the white team growing from her in the background.

Notice in the second photo "shot 1" nobody is in the background, the picture has more potential. When shooting for the rest of the season pay attention to what's going on in the background before you shoot. You likely have the entire sideline and most places will let you venture to the touch line as long as you aren't talking / coaching to the players.

Take advantage of that and find a nice clean area to shoot then see how much better they look.

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:57 AM
morenoar
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My Soccer Attempt

Jspytek, thank you.

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My Soccer Attempt

Although you want to shoot as wide open as possible (such that background is not in focus if it is there), it appears that your shots are front focused (the grass directly in front of the players appears to be in focus, but the players look 'soft' (and soccer players are never soft!).. Best thing to do is carry a note book and make notes about what you are doing/changing and shoot a really lot of pics, and as mentioned try to have the EXIF included in your JPGs as that will help viewers understand what is happening (also note how much the image is cropped)..

Sep 30, 2013 at 04:20 PM
morenoar
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My Soccer Attempt

Thank you Ed, My question? Would this be a lens issue or a camera issue. I shot with both my 400 and my 70-200 with same body and I see what you are saying? Thank you

Sep 30, 2013 at 06:14 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My Soccer Attempt

Aaaaagh! I HATE those neon uniforms! Bless you for ever trying to shoot them!

Paul

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:51 PM
morenoar
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My Soccer Attempt

Well, got a 1DMK3 to replace my broken MK2. Shot with 70-200, from what I shot the above posted shots. Looks like my 70-200 is front focusing. I have it set for Center focus or top focus. When Center, the ball and grass are sharp. When I have it at top focus point, the middle body is sharp and everything is soft. Going to play with MA and see if it will fix the issue. If not, 70-200 will be going in for repair. Lets see how my 400 works tomorrow. Thanks all for your help

Oct 05, 2013 at 11:56 PM
twragg

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My Soccer Attempt

Good shots, crops are fine, tight and focused on the action, and you have captured the ball in the photo which is important!

Photo 1 is the more impactful, more action (i.e. two players battling for the ball). Photo 2, I wouldn't personally have selected as a photo to share. I don't view this photo as two players battling for the ball, I view it as one player running with the ball, and you just happens to capture another player directly behind her, whihc distracts from the player in the foreground. The one player running in the ball would have made a better photo without the player behind her, since its not a battle scenario where they are wrapped in action. Does that make sense, just waking up and only on first cup of coffee. Think I may have fumbled my review a bit :-) Just my thoughts, thanks for sharing!

Oct 17, 2013 at 05:00 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My Soccer Attempt

OK, here's my thoughts. You've got some good advice so far.

But, capturing the images is only part of the equation. Presentation is just as important.

I prefer consistant sizing. You've got two different sized images here. Try to use the same sizes. I prefer standard aspect ratios, but some will say cropping for the web is different and anything goes. Most of my images are for sale, and therefore, need to be availabe in standard aspect ratios, 2x3, 4x5 and 5x7, etc.

Secondly, I learned a long time ago that you need to sharpen your images for your intended output. You sharpen an image differently if you were going to print it large or present it on the web.

For example, I still use a program called Qimage to print. It has some intelligent sharpening based on the print sizes I am producing. Same thing goes for web presentation.

You need to sharpen for the web. Max aka PShizzy, who sometimes chimes in here, put up a couple of actions for download years ago that I still find helpful. (http://www.pshizzy.com/2008/05/i-heart-photoshop-actions/). I have modified them somewhat as Fred's site has changed size limitations. I also modified them for Facebook postings to meet there size requirements.

I sell images through my smugmug site. Even smugmug offers specific sharpening for web presentation. Their default setting is really good. I've tried to mimic that through my sharpening actions.

Finally, I will address post processing. What program do you use and how do you use it. I know these uniforms can be a nightmare to process and can mess with the dynamic range limits of your camera. As presented, I think these migh be slightly over exposed. The faces look pretty good, which is why I say "slightly." I use Lightroom and for these types of shots, I use the Highlight tool and bring that way down. I've found that over exposed images lose sharpness and just by bringing the highlights down, you can increase the perceived sharpness of your images.

Hope this helps

Oct 17, 2013 at 09:57 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.