New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · First Tee Time

moosehead222
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Tee Time

I am looking for any suggestions on the processing and if there was anything I could do about the flare. Or any other feedback of course. I am using a low cost uv filter, would a nice B&W provide more anti flare? Sigma 35 1.4 used at f11.

http://moosehead.smugmug.com/Golf-Trips/Indianapolis-Golf-Trip-2013/Prairie-View-2013-/i-3FWkGZd/0/XL/_DSC0486-LR-XL.jpg

Sep 29, 2013 at 06:53 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Tee Time

Well, the flare is something I really didn't notice until about the 3rd time through. I kept thinking "Flare, what flare? What is he talking about?"

I attribute that to how strongly our eye is drawn to other aspects of the image, such as the back lighting and brighter tones of the course. The amount of contrast associated with the flare doesn't seem to compete that strongly by comparison. You could probably perform some cloning to mitigate it further now that I've noticed it.

Sep 30, 2013 at 02:09 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Tee Time

RustyBug wrote:
Well, the flare is something I really didn't notice until about the 3rd time through. I kept thinking "Flare, what flare? What is he talking about?"

I attribute that to how strongly our eye is drawn to other aspects of the image, such as the back lighting and brighter tones of the course. The amount of contrast associated with the flare doesn't seem to compete that strongly by comparison. You could probably perform some cloning to mitigate it further now that I've noticed it.

Thank you...
Rusty - - I enjoy reading your comments about other photos as well.

Sep 30, 2013 at 02:39 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Tee Time

I'm with Kent.
Really didnt notice the flare until very close inspection. The starburst effect of the sun overshadows the flare.
Not an equipment expert, but why not get better protection on such a nice lens?
Lots to read on 2filter.com and good personalized service, quick delivery, good prices as one option.
You could try selecting some of the flare areas, playing with curves, levels or multiply to restore some of the lost contrast. The colored flares are harder and I dont think will be worth the effort. Perhaps some cautious cloning, but I wouldnt bother.
Scott

Sep 30, 2013 at 04:39 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Tee Time

sbeme wrote:
I'm with Kent.
Really didnt notice the flare until very close inspection. The starburst effect of the sun overshadows the flare.
Not an equipment expert, but why not get better protection on such a nice lens?
Lots to read on 2filter.com and good personalized service, quick delivery, good prices as one option.
You could try selecting some of the flare areas, playing with curves, levels or multiply to restore some of the lost contrast. The colored flares are harder and I dont think will be worth the effort. Perhaps some cautious cloning, but I wouldnt bother.
Scott

Thanks Scott... I just picked up this lens and wanted to take some time selecting a good filter. I am using a filter that I had in the basement from like 20 years ago just for protection. I have a separate post on a filter recommendation. Lots of good one I am sure.

And personally I agree, I am not into worrying about the flares in this one as far as processing them out. I was just asking if something could be done to prevent flare.. a better filter, specific type of filter, no filter, etc.

Sep 30, 2013 at 07:54 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.