Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Bower/Rokinon 14mm Good Copy?

Dale Martin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bower/Rokinon 14mm Good Copy?

Hi folks…

I'm looking for some feedback from owners of the Bower/Rokinon 14mm lens. I purchased one a few weeks back and I'm not sure if this lens is a reasonably good copy or not. Here is a quick test shot of the Milky Way from the other night. This is a 30 sec @ f/3.5 using a Canon 5D III.

Thanks again.

Dale

Click here for 100% version

Sep 29, 2013 at 01:07 PM
kiddik
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bower/Rokinon 14mm Good Copy?

I'm sorry but, this is the worst possible example to judge lens performance from :-) There's nothing but stars and the stars are smeared because your exposure is too long. We need to see a picture of a static subject, not the ever moving universe ;-)

But at first glance it seems normal, I've shot countless starscapes with a Samyang 14 and your shot feels similiar. Normally the stars at the edges are more stretched than center ones.

Sep 29, 2013 at 03:20 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bower/Rokinon 14mm Good Copy?

As Kristjan says this is not the best photo to judge it by, but to my eye you have some problems in the upper left corner - the stars are smeared towards the center while the stars in the lower right corner don't appear to have that problem.

Take some more shots with something in the corners (the classic brick wall comes to mind) or another star shot using a shorter time and come back to us.

Good luck -

John

Edited on Sep 30, 2013 at 02:57 AM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2013 at 03:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dale Martin
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bower/Rokinon 14mm Good Copy?

Thanks for the feedback guys. Since this lens is mostly going to be used for night work, I'm interested in how this copy compares to others using this lens for night photography.

Thanks,

Dale

Sep 29, 2013 at 06:30 PM
ultrapix
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bower/Rokinon 14mm Good Copy?

jhinkey wrote:
As Kristjan says this is not the best photo to judge it by, but to my eye you have some problems in the upper left corner - the stars are smeared towards the center while the stars in the lower right corner don't appear to have that problem.

Take some more shots with something in the corners (the classic brick wall comes to mind) or another star shot using a shorter time and come back to us.

Good luck -

John

+1

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Cgb628

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bower/Rokinon 14mm Good Copy?

Night photography or not, a brick wall will show the flaws easier. It's like shooting at f/22 into the sky to find dust.

Oct 01, 2013 at 06:29 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password