FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · video self promotion

Tom Spader
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · video self promotion

I have seen a couple people using a video promotion/introduction to themselves and their work on their web sites. I guess it gives the client a first look/listen at you before they contact. I have only see two so far, but haven't really been looking, but I am curious, is this a good idea, like here I am, this what I look and sound like, here's some of my work, so if I didn't scare you away, contact me.. thoughts?

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · video self promotion

Perception often is that it comes down to the quality of the video footage but i think keeping viewers watching comes down to editing, and mostly editing what is said. The footage is important but not what is separating the great from the ordinary to boring.

I have looked at a lot of videos to see if there is some pattern or formula that makes the really good ones just that and the one thing I see over is that everything is broken up into segments of one to three sentences then a pause as something visual happens then another few sentences. No waffle.

This keeps it interesting and moving.

The other thing i noted is almost all started with some kind of statement. A mission statement or something the client could connect with. This is followed by a second or two of music and visual then comes the introduction "I'm noddy and I’m a street shooter for rap artist" or whatever.

This followed by some reason why they photographer does what they do but always the why came back to benefiting the client not because they were getting off on their own passion.

So

1. Open with a power statement. A hook to get the viewers interest.

2. Introduce yourself

3. Distill the story that you want to communicate into 7-10 short paragraphs. Remember that visuals will be there to assist meaning you can get away with less words as the video is filling in gaps. This will keep you from sounding long winded. The visual does not always have to be directly correlated to the words as long as it is related to the overall business of what you do. So saying that you love the romance of weddings could lead into a pan over some albums or more directly footage of you photographing a couple kissing.

4. Fade to black then to your logo with a final comment or quote.

There is going to be room to change the order. You could break up your video with a testimony as long as it fits the short paragraph rule. You could introduce yourself at the end.

Another exercise as you prep for your own video is to download a movie script. See how the lines of dialogue are actually very short and yet how even over a single page conversation and thought has moved. That is because scriptwriters are professionals who know how to distill things into small amounts of information to keep things moving yet we don’t even notice when we watch a movie.

In that same way you will keep the viewers interest by working out what you want to say then breaking it down.

Others who can help you do this are those who teach public speaking courses. It is amazing how much we can all pad out information when speaking publicly and not realize it.

So when prepping what you wish to communicate do some research or have a professional such as someone who teaches public speaking or an editor go over with you and help you to minimize the words and maximize the power of what you communicate.

Lastly keep it short. Once you have made an impression and said what needs saying sign off. I think a viewer is more likely to watch a video that has a run time of a minute to a minute and a half rather than one that runs for five minutes.

Do not assume anyone other than another photographer trying to get ideas for their video will watch the entire thing. So no long intro. If you have not hooked the viewer within five to ten seconds they will probably switch off or head to another site.

I have yet to make mine so my thoughts are only the result of observation re what I think are compelling/interesting video's. I have no experience making promotional videos so others may disagree or add more weight.

The videos I hate but seem to get nods from peers are more self focused. A couple playing peek a boo with each other in the bush or talking about why they love their partner etc seem to be trying too hard.

My personal belief, not having a video myself, is that it is a powerful marketing tool not utilized by most. One thing that will always give you an advantage is if the couple meet you before they meet your competition. People are more likely to book someone they feel that they know.

So if you go to a web site with a video you can sit through you not only get a sense of the work but also the person. Let your clients feel like they know you not just your images.

Sep 29, 2013 at 05:31 AM
Tom Spader
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · video self promotion

Thank you for your reply. Well put.

My day job in the dying art of the newspaper photojournalist has forced me into the video world. Much of what you say totally fits into the "templates" we use on a daily basis.

The strong opening, words and images will be the deciding factor if he viewer is going to stick around. You mention length, and you are spot on with our research. We could have the most well produced, compelling piece and if it is not bleeding or half naked we will loose almost ALL of our viewers before the 2 minute mark.

Keeping the viewer engaged, in a culture that wants instant gratification is key. They are used to getting what they think they want quickly and to the point and then they move on.

If anyone has one they wish to share or knows of one or two they have seen and like, please share.

I do like the idea of giving a potential client a taste of me before they meet me. We know our work alone is rarely the deciding factor, so to present ourselves early on in this process may either strengthen the initial face-to-face or simply have the client move on as they did not connect with our presentation and would likely not connect in person.

Thoughts?

Edited on Sep 29, 2013 at 12:14 PM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2013 at 06:59 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · video self promotion

Our video has been really successful for us, although it's a bit outdated now and needs an update. I would HIGHLY recommend thinking through your brand principles before you do. I've seen some AWFUL videos that would make most modern/young couples run for the hills.

The biggest thing that we knew was that we didn't want to talk in ours. For us, it just wouldn't suit our personalities to talk about how good we are or to be using sales-y language. It's worked well...

In my opinion, the two things to strive for are being genuine and being humble. Too many people get caught up in saying all the good things they know about themselves.

Here's ours: http://hofferphotography.com/about/

Sep 29, 2013 at 08:14 AM
Tom Spader
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · video self promotion

Tony, thanks for the input. Yes you've raised the bar yet again, but really nice to see what's going on. The testimonial angle was an awesome way to go. I see a lot of planning and this really fuels the fire. The footage on the shoot really lets clients know what you do and what to expect. Nice job.

Anyone else want to chime in with their?

Sep 29, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · video self promotion

I really liked Tony's as well. It reminded me of what they say in all those screen writing classes: show don't tell. We don't like the use of the word passion in written blurbs and yet when I see it watching Tony and Amy work it's a huge plus.

Just a thought re testimonials for those thinking of making their own. I did help make a promotional video in the late nineties for a bible college and we had several testimonials in that.

Once the thing was put together what viewers were noticing is that when people spoke it was too solemn. The words said awesome but the tone did not convey the same enthusiasm. Particularly when a couple were interviewed as one spoke and the other sat nodding.

As people think about what they are saying they can come off as too serious (No Heath Ledger pics please).

If I were doing testimonial again I think I would talk with those interviewed prior about that, encourage them to keep smiling.

Sep 30, 2013 at 01:36 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · video self promotion

We are planning to do one for ouerselves, too.

I think it is not necessary to talk about your work. They see the images. Probably they donīt care about the how either, as long as you stay out of their way at the wedding-day. Who cares, why you started photography?

The foremost information you probably want to transmit is your personality. Could we connect? Is this a nice guy? No weirdo? Would I feel comfortable with him/her standing right in front of me?

Itīs like preparing for a blind date. You would die for to have seen a short video of her, before you finally meet, right? (Not that I know....)

We are not sure about the details, but I think we will go that way.

heiko

Sep 30, 2013 at 02:03 AM
Tom Spader
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · video self promotion

yeah I kind of like the idea. This is me, this is what I do. Examples instead of the all-about-me, be brief and just let them know before they even send that let's me email. They already know what you do, why - they don't really care, but who you are what you look and sound like. If done well, it could help eliminate those meetings where you just did not connect for reasons other than your work. the blind date analogy is on the money. ... now if we could just see and hear them ha!

Sep 30, 2013 at 05:35 AM
skiboarder72
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · video self promotion

We also went with more of a client-based one. I didn't really want to just list all our awards or what makes us awesome, so instead we interviewed past clients, parents of clients, and also go some footage shooting at real weddings and engagement shoots. You can check it out here: http://www.joshjonesphoto.com/information/

Sep 30, 2013 at 07:40 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.