Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2013 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

garyroach
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

Beautiful day for a drive, yesterday. The first leaves have started to turn. Of course, the peak won't be for about another month. I'll post updates all through October. Others please feel free to report also. I'm looking forward to the beautiful fall colors.

Edited on Sep 28, 2013 at 04:32 PM · View previous versions

Sep 28, 2013 at 02:01 PM
NCAndy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

Just got home from spending the night at Mt LeConte Lodge. It's a good year for mountain ash berries. Lots of bright orange berries on those trees, even if the leaves are a mottled gold. For the most part, leaves in general are still green. There are a few trees that show the beginnings of color. Our hikes on the AT, Boulevard Trail and Alum Cave Trail were no different.

Edit. Oh, and lots of traffic in the Park today (Sat.) on US441.

Sep 28, 2013 at 02:53 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

Wonderful. I am heading to the area in about 6 hours for 4 days chasing the fall color there. Well.. rain is in the forecast, but that will add to the scenery, I hope.

Sep 28, 2013 at 07:55 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

Keep posting. Us folk living in Florida are relying on your reports. GSMNP is the closest thing we have for good fall colors.

Sep 30, 2013 at 05:51 AM
ramdisk
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

here is a good place to start
http://www.foliagenetwork.com/index.php/foliage-reports/foliage-reports-southeast-us/current-season-southeast-us/130-foliage-reports/foliage-reports-southeast-us/foliage-reports-southeast-us-current-season/473-mw-foliage-report-1-2018

Sep 30, 2013 at 08:58 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

ramdisk wrote:
here is a good place to start
http://www.foliagenetwork.com/index.php/foliage-reports/foliage-reports-southeast-us/current-season-southeast-us/130-foliage-reports/foliage-reports-southeast-us/foliage-reports-southeast-us-current-season/473-mw-foliage-report-1-2018

These maps seem pretty accurate right now, from where I sit here in WNC. The problem comes in a few weeks when exposure, altitude and local drainage conditions create great differences in color, even within a relatively small area. I'd say we're at least a couple weeks away from any widespread color change here in the Smokies, Balsams and Blue Ridge. The highest elevations will turn earlier but color up there is never very good given the species of trees.

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

Will be headed over to Cloudland Canyon and Lookout Mountain in about three weeks....will be watching this thread closely. Thanks (as always) for your fall reports, Andy and Gary!!

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:16 PM
brada

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

Will be leaving Atlanta on the 20th (after the Petit race) and looking for leaves until the 25th.
Keep the reports coming!

Sep 30, 2013 at 05:56 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

Here's a photo from this evening near Franklin, NC. You might be able to see a few trees beginning to turn, but most of the color is from the evening sun.

Edited on Oct 06, 2013 at 05:52 AM · View previous versions

Sep 30, 2013 at 09:07 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

Andy, that is a gorgeous image, even without fall color! Love the light beams/rays!!

Sep 30, 2013 at 09:18 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

Just curious if any of you guys had suggestions for a trip thru the Smokies (if the Fed shutdown ends by then), other than the tourist meca's like Cades Cove, Tremont, etc.? I hear a lot of good things about the drive up to Gatlinburg. I'm heading up that way from South FL for about 5 days, beginning the 19th, thru the 24th. I like shooting things as personal as creeks but also larger, "grand vistas" that are classic Smoky images.

Thanks.

Oct 02, 2013 at 03:52 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

CarlG wrote:
Just curious if any of you guys had suggestions for a trip thru the Smokies (if the Fed shutdown ends by then), other than the tourist meca's like Cades Cove, Tremont, etc.? I hear a lot of good things about the drive up to Gatlinburg. I'm heading up that way from South FL for about 5 days, beginning the 19th, thru the 24th. I like shooting things as personal as creeks but also larger, "grand vistas" that are classic Smoky images.

Thanks.

Carl, The Blue Ridge Parkway would be one suggestion. It has the grand vistas being on the ridge and the approach roads have the creeks. Personally, I avoid Smoky Mtn NP because it is just too crazy. There are many local roads as well as forest service roads that can provide very similar photo ops. Traffic here has already increased. It's like a tidal wave in how it builds after the Sept lull. I rode my bike up Wayah Bald yesterday and saw more car traffic than I had seen the last month combined. Hopefully, the gov't shutdown will get resolved very soon and people will travel to their traditional spots and I can avoid the crowds during the week. Weekends are busy everywhere.

edit. If you intend to stay on the Tenn. side maybe Gary can offer some help.

Oct 02, 2013 at 04:04 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

Thanks, Andy. I've considered the Parkway (I will be there on weekdays - traffic should be a bit better), but I'm afraid I may be there a little too late and find the trees up there bare. I know the timing on these things is a crap shoot, though.

If I do come up that way, what else is around the Parkway that may afford waterfall or creek shots?

Thanks!!

Oct 02, 2013 at 04:15 PM
Littlefield
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

The Blue Ridge Parkway will remain open for travel despite the federal government shutdown but when nature calls you will just have to go in the woods.
Don

Oct 02, 2013 at 04:18 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

Littlefield wrote:
The Blue Ridge Parkway will remain open for travel despite the federal government shutdown but when nature calls you will just have to go in the woods.
Don

Yes, I assumed they would gate the BRP but it seems the road will remain open.

Oct 02, 2013 at 04:36 PM
garyroach
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

Carl:

One drive I enjoy when the leaves change is to take US 129 (the Tail of the Dragon) over to Robbinsville, NC and take the Cherohala Skyway to Tellico Plains, TN. Just before Tellico Plains there is a turnoff to a nice waterfall (whose name escapes me at the moment) Bald River Falls perhaps. Cherohala usually peaks between Oct. 10-15. As far as I know Cherohala is still open.

Hope the Pisgah Inn on the BRP reopens soon. I usually try to stay there around this time of year.

Edited on Oct 02, 2013 at 04:58 PM · View previous versions

Oct 02, 2013 at 04:41 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

CarlG wrote:
Thanks, Andy. I've considered the Parkway (I will be there on weekdays - traffic should be a bit better), but I'm afraid I may be there a little too late and find the trees up there bare. I know the timing on these things is a crap shoot, though.

If I do come up that way, what else is around the Parkway that may afford waterfall or creek shots?

Thanks!!

Trees at the highest elevations most likely will be past peak by then though they don't have the best color anyway. The 2800-4800' elevations have the most maples and therefore the most color. I expect those trees will be near peak at that time. Same for the Smokies though the NC and Tn sides often differ in timing.

There are waterfalls all through the area. It would be best to check out this site. http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/

Oct 02, 2013 at 04:41 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

Gary & Andy - thank you both!! Great info.

Oct 02, 2013 at 08:12 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

What about gated forest roads? If the parks are still closed, will the forest roads be closed also? Also what about the Greenbrier and Roaring Fork entrances - are they gated? And are they closed?

Oct 02, 2013 at 08:29 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · E. TN and W. NC Fall Color Reports

JimKied wrote:
Also what about the Greenbrier and Roaring Fork entrances - are they gated? And are they closed?

I read tonight that they are open for thru traffic....not sure they are allowing anyone to stop for any extended period of time, though.

Oct 02, 2013 at 08:48 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.