Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Mamiya 110mm 67 on DSLR, anyone?

Beni
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mamiya 110mm 67 on DSLR, anyone?

Hi,

I'm a big fan of the rendition of this lens on 67 (Mamiya RZ), was wondering if anyone has ever tried it out on a a DSLR or mirrorless, if it's useable and what the results look like, i.e. is it as gorgeous when it doesn't have that huge piece of film behind it?

Sep 28, 2013 at 05:37 PM
slungu
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mamiya 110mm 67 on DSLR, anyone?

Since the RZ is focusing with the camera bellows, it is not so straight forward to use RZ lenses. Plus, they are electronically controlled, unlike the RB lenses. Still, the focusing should be the biggest problem in using them on DSLR. OTOH, a digital back would solve the problem

Sep 28, 2013 at 06:53 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mamiya 110mm 67 on DSLR, anyone?

Any medium and large format camera that uses a digital sensor that crops the image loses some, or a lot, from it's original attraction. After a few experiments with medium format lenses and medium format cameras cconnected to a DSLR I would recommend to stay with film for this type of camera. I had my share with Cambo Ultimate 35 adapters and Canon 1Ds bodies, Hasselblad and Pentax lenses, but in all cases my conclusion was it is not worth the hassle. Size, cost and handling are big issues and even if you use only the best center part of a lens and the results are very good, it's just not good enough in comparison to it's full frame use on film. At least not what I expected. I just don't like cropping lenses I guess, this is the very same for me with 35mm lenses on crop cameras. To be honest, I can't speak for the RZ system. I have sometimes worked with it in the film era, but not on digital. My experience with Hasselblad and Pentax (67 and 645) though lead me to believe that if you want the rendition of the 110 on 67 film, you'd better stay with film. True, you'll have to deal with the analog part of the workflow, you'll miss high ISO performance of modern DSLRs and a few other features of digital that are nice to have, but medium format film has a look that can't be emulated by digital. Since 67 digital backs from Sinar, Leaf or Phase One with a large sensor (still not full frame 67) cost you a kidney, or two, I think it is very well understandable why still a lot of amateurs keep their medium format gear for film. A pro who knows why he needs medium format digital backs will most probably use them on a modern MF digital camera or rent it every now and then. For the rest of us, 67 and other medium format cameras are (almost) dead.

So if you have an RZ with 110, buy a roll of film, have it scanned or buy a good scanner if you want to use it seriously. If not, don't spend the money on an adapter for a DSLR or mirrorless, it will prove it's not worth the money and the hassle.

Sep 28, 2013 at 09:41 PM
BJNY

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mamiya 110mm 67 on DSLR, anyone?

slungu wrote:
Since the RZ is focusing with the camera bellows, it is not so straight forward to use RZ lenses. Plus, they are electronically controlled, unlike the RB lenses. Still, the focusing should be the biggest problem in using them on DSLR.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/27505-mount-adaptors-helicoid-rb-rz-lenses.html#post325715

Sep 29, 2013 at 07:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sirimiri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mamiya 110mm 67 on DSLR, anyone?

Beni, like others have said, this probably isn't the best use of your available time and funds.

Besides, a lot of the character and rendition aspects are, in my opinion, from the lens' use for its native 6x7 format. Peeping through a small, centered section of that lens probably won't satisfy you.

Perhaps you could try the Mamiya M645 80mm f/1.9 on your DSLR instead? From my experience Mamiya's line of lenses behave fairly uniformly in the color and contrast department (with the APOs being a cut above) and so if its the sharp-in-the-center, soft falloff at the corners you seek, with Mamiya color (great for skin) try the "portrait" focal length. Many, many lenses do the "sharp everywhere with good color" thing at f/5.6 so I surmise that's not what you're after.

I know the 110mm is "standard" for the RZ but you might think about the M645 80mm.

Strictly speaking you could also try the M645 55mm f/2.8 but I after using that lens for a few days I'd say it's not what you're looking for if you like the 110mm.

Sep 29, 2013 at 07:25 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mamiya 110mm 67 on DSLR, anyone?

I thought I saw a thread with adapted rz67 glass in Canon SLR here?

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mamiya 110mm 67 on DSLR, anyone?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1132088/8

Oct 01, 2013 at 06:40 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password