New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Rokkor 58/1.2 conversion question

jaehoppa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rokkor 58/1.2 conversion question

Hi guys.
I currently have a Canon mount body and plan on buying a Sony alpha body in the future.
I was talking to someone about converting my rokkor to Sony alpha mount and he says he converts the lens to m42 mount. This way I can use either a Canon or Sony adapter with the lens.
My question is then why aren't people going this route instead of just converting it to one mount?
I can understand if they only intend to use on only one mount.
Are M42 adapters not as precise?
I can see that the lens can only be infinity adjust for one mount. Other than that I can't see any downside to this.
I've never used an M42 lens with a adapter so I may be missing something.
Hopefully someone can chime in and explain it.
thanks.

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:36 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rokkor 58/1.2 conversion question

Well, with M42 adapters you're never sure that the lens mounts nicely oriented with the focus indicator and widest aperture at 12 o'clock, and M42 adapters are pretty much by definition of lower quality than a Leitax conversion kit (which mounts very precisely without play and is more durable).

Sep 28, 2013 at 03:28 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rokkor 58/1.2 conversion question

I may be doing something wrong, but I could never use an M42 (screw mount) lens well. I never could get it mounted where the aperture and focus read out facing the top and also when I changed the aperture and focus, it would loosen the lens. I did not have fun with them at all. Again, I may be doing something wrong. The M42 is a very popular mount, just not for me.

Sep 28, 2013 at 04:03 PM
f.hayek
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rokkor 58/1.2 conversion question

While I haven't done the conversion you intend, I have for Leica R-to-Nikon using Leitax, as mentioned above. These are precision machined, highest-quality mounts and leave little uncertainty. Don't mess around. Go for the Leitax and you will have no regrets.

Sep 28, 2013 at 09:36 PM
jaehoppa
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rokkor 58/1.2 conversion question

f.hayek wrote:
While I haven't done the conversion you intend, I have for Leica R-to-Nikon using Leitax, as mentioned above. These are precision machined, highest-quality mounts and leave little uncertainty. Don't mess around. Go for the Leitax and you will have no regrets.

The thing is Leitax doesn't offer Sony alpha mount conversion kit for the rokkor. Only for Canon.
I'm trying to use the lens on A900 or A850.
I already have a Canon converted one which I'm using with my Kodak slr/c but would like to try the lens on a Sony FF body (I prefer Sony over Canon in terms of color. that's why I'm not going the 5D route).

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:01 PM
f.hayek
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rokkor 58/1.2 conversion question

Sorry, I stand corrected.

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:50 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rokkor 58/1.2 conversion question

jaehoppa wrote:
The thing is Leitax doesn't offer Sony alpha mount conversion kit for the rokkor. Only for Canon.
I'm trying to use the lens on A900 or A850.

This looks good: http://www.rharris-images.net/58mm-f1-2-rokkor-adapter/
Someone said that that's actually the FM forum member ricardovaste.

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:13 PM
jaehoppa
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rokkor 58/1.2 conversion question

AhamB wrote:
This looks good: http://www.rharris-images.net/58mm-f1-2-rokkor-adapter/
Someone said that that's actually the FM forum member ricardovaste.

yeah i actually just contacted him for more info.
this is probably better than the m42 method.
thanks for the link.

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:17 PM
wuxiekeji
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rokkor 58/1.2 conversion question

M42 adapters in general are indeed not as precise with respect to (a) infinity focus -- but usually they focus past infinity so it's perfectly usable if you don't need the infinity calibration spot-on ex. for astrophotography (b) getting the aperture readings perfectly centered on top.

However M42 is by far the most rock-solid mount -- there won't be play between the lens and adapter; only between the adapter and camera if the adapter isn't of good quality. It's also the most "future-proof" mount -- anyone who can drill you an M42 hole can make a mount for you, unlike all the other mounts which are extremely difficult to machine accurately.

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rokkor 58/1.2 conversion question

wuxiekeji wrote:
It's also the most "future-proof" mount -- anyone who can drill you an M42 hole can make a mount for you, unlike all the other mounts which are extremely difficult to machine accurately.

Exactly the reason why a good conversion kit is preferable to a cheap adapter -- play between the adapter and the camera body. At least with adapters for Canon EF this is a common thing, always some rotational play.

Sep 30, 2013 at 03:22 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rokkor 58/1.2 conversion question

On a slightly different note, does anyone have access to Minolta repair manuals for 58/1.2? Or specs of the parts perhaps?

Oct 01, 2013 at 02:42 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.