Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Angry seas by the moonlight

chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Angry seas by the moonlight

Just returned from 8 days on the West Coast for Vancouver Island. Wonderful location, raw beauty with isolation everywhere you turn.

I was out one evening trying to get a nice sunset shot...but the sun did not cooperate. I stuck around until the light faded away. On my way back to my car, a nice moon was rising and I decided to get some shots of the rugged coastline lit up by the moonlight.

This image had me crawl out to the edge of the rocks in near darkness as I forgot my flashlight...yeh stupid. The moon did provide some light, but the rocks were very dark, almost black with very little reflection. Trecherous is an understatement. I survived. The sea was a little upset and was crashing into these inlets ( crevices ) in the shoreline. This shot was a 30 second exposure with me hand holding a 2 stop GND filter all the while mosquitos were nipping at my legs. Harry...you really need to get a filter holder one day.

Feedback appreciated.

Harry

Sep 28, 2013 at 04:33 PM
wsu6

p.1 #2 · Angry seas by the moonlight

Beautiful capture. I really like the composition with the little pool in the foreground, and the moon visible.

-Bill

Sep 28, 2013 at 05:51 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Angry seas by the moonlight

Hey Harry,

Very nice. It almost always pays to stick around after the sunset. I like the lines in this.

Jim

Sep 28, 2013 at 05:55 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Angry seas by the moonlight

Nice work, Harry. You've interpreted the angry sea to be quite gentle. The moon is a bit lopsided, though.

Sep 28, 2013 at 06:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

alatoo60
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Angry seas by the moonlight

Nice, but sea does not look angry at all. It's very dreamy indeed.

Sasha.

Sep 28, 2013 at 08:36 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Angry seas by the moonlight

Jeffrey, alatoo60

Yeh, the long exposure sort of tamed the angry seas somewhat...but the pounding waves rushing through the channel were enough to make me feel very uneasy being close...especially in the dark.

Overall, a great experience.

Jim, yes...staying around after the sun goes down has resulted in many a great photo for me. I see way too many photogs pack it up when that sun dips behind the horizon...that's when the fun starts.

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Angry seas by the moonlight

Nice scene!

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password