Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Need advice: Canon 1.4x III with Canon 400mm f2.8 MK1?

Gonemad

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need advice: Canon 1.4x III with Canon 400mm f2.8 MK1?

I'm on the market to buy a teleconverter and many have suggested that Canon 1.4x III, while it works with all super-telephoto lenses, was designed to take advantage of the second-generation super-telephoto lenses. Since I have the Canon 400mm f2.8 MK1, would I just better off save some money and stay with Canon 1.4x II where the optical difference isn't significant compared to III? Please advise.

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need advice: Canon 1.4x III with Canon 400mm f2.8 MK1?

Gonemad wrote:
I'm on the market to buy a teleconverter and many have suggested that Canon 1.4x III, while it works with all super-telephoto lenses, was designed to take advantage of the second-generation super-telephoto lenses. Since I have the Canon 400mm f2.8 MK1, would I just better off save some money and stay with Canon 1.4x II where the optical difference isn't significant compared to III? Please advise.

My experience on the 300 f/2.8L IS mk I and 500 f/4L IS mk I, was that they worked better in terms of focus with the mk II 1.4x and 2x than the mk III TC's, especially on cameras other than the 5D III and 1D X. Not saying you won't get good results with the mk III, but my 1D IV and 7D seemed to have less keepers. IQ wise the mk III 1.4x is not much different, maybe a wee bit more contrast and better edge and corner performance, so I'd save the pennies and get the mk II, unless you have a 5D III or 1D X. For the 2x, the mk III is a bigger improvement however.

Sep 29, 2013 at 06:18 PM
Gonemad

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need advice: Canon 1.4x III with Canon 400mm f2.8 MK1?

Thanks a bunch, PP! I do have 5D III, but use it primarily for portrait. For wildlife, I use 1D4 paired with the 400mm. I'll be sure to get the TC MK2. Thanks!

Sep 29, 2013 at 08:05 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need advice: Canon 1.4x III with Canon 400mm f2.8 MK1?

Gonemad wrote:
Thanks a bunch, PP! I do have 5D III, but use it primarily for portrait. For wildlife, I use 1D4 paired with the 400mm. I'll be sure to get the TC MK2. Thanks!

Note, I should say, my experience was with servo mode. In one shot the mk III's seemed fine, but all I know is my keeper rate on the 1D IV has been much higher with the mk III 1.4x since I upgraded my 500 to the mk II.

Sep 29, 2013 at 08:25 PM
Gonemad

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need advice: Canon 1.4x III with Canon 400mm f2.8 MK1?

I actually shoot almost exclusively in Servo Mode in sports and wildlife photography. So, I think MK2 will serve me well plus more savings!

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:46 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need advice: Canon 1.4x III with Canon 400mm f2.8 MK1?

Whayne,

I'm curious. Having both the 5DIII and the 1D-X with my 400 2.8 Mk1, what is there about these two bodies that the 1.4 TC Mk III does perform better with?

Matt

Sep 30, 2013 at 08:25 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.