New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikon System and Yongnuo Flashes

Shasta
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon System and Yongnuo Flashes

I'm having a difficult time finding the answer to this question due to my inexperience using any lighting system. I own a Nikon D700 and one single SB-700 and have been wanting to purchase 2 additional flashes but on a budget. Will the nikon commander system not only fire Nikon flashes but will it fire the new Yongnuo 560III? I'm confused as to whether or not I need to consider flash triggers if I go the Yongnuo route. Or just buy additional SB-700's as I can afford.

I really want to start learning about creative lighting in order to build some confidence to try my hand at portrait photography.

Thank you.

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:53 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon System and Yongnuo Flashes

If you want to fire the flash as a slave by using the SB-700 you don't need to use radio sync flashes like the YN-560III, you can use the YN-560II and save some coin. The YN-560II will fire in 2 slave modes, one is S2 or TTL the other is S1, or simply fires when it sees a flash. The S2 mode waits for the pre-flashes then fires when the master 'illumination' strobe fires. So this lets you use your SB-700 in TTL mode and have a slave in manual mode, fires at the right time you just have to adjust the output.

Sep 29, 2013 at 02:43 PM
Shasta
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon System and Yongnuo Flashes

Thank you JB , now with that said, I was under the impression the Nikon creative system was a radio system but its actually a line of sight system so lets say with just the SB-700, if I had it buried in a softbox the flash itself may not see the preflash and actually not fire, am I correct in assuming this? Basically I want to be able to put these flashes anywhere and radio fire them and I think with that I most likely need poppers or something.

Oct 01, 2013 at 01:11 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon System and Yongnuo Flashes

Shasta wrote:
Thank you JB , now with that said, I was under the impression the Nikon creative system was a radio system but its actually a line of sight system so lets say with just the SB-700, if I had it buried in a softbox the flash itself may not see the preflash and actually not fire, am I correct in assuming this? Basically I want to be able to put these flashes anywhere and radio fire them and I think with that I most likely need poppers or something.

I believe the remotes must "see" each other vs radio units, which as long as they can receive the signal, they will fire. In other words - the radio controlled units are much more forgiving.

I've not tried to bury my 900's with the D700.

Oct 01, 2013 at 01:16 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon System and Yongnuo Flashes

Shasta wrote:
...lets say with just the SB-700, if I had it buried in a softbox the flash itself may not see the preflash and actually not fire, am I correct in assuming this? Basically I want to be able to put these flashes anywhere and radio fire them and I think with that I most likely need poppers or something.

I used to use the Canon optical Master/Slave system, similar to Nikon's CLS, for all my multi-light setups. I found that in most home-sized rooms with light-colored walls to act as bounce surfaces my Speedlites would trigger even when inside my Westcott Apollo soft box, even with the diffuser down.

As rooms got larger I got more misfires, and outdoors it was virtually useless unless the Speedlite was in the clear with its slave sensor directly facing the Master.

Then Yongnuo released the YN-622C, an ETTL-compatible radio system, and all my problems went away. The YN-622C is transparent in use, in that all the "normal" ways of controlling the Speedlites via the camera's flash control menus work the same as if I were using the Canon system; ETTL autoflash, High Speed Sync, Rear-curtain Sync, Manual flash, etc. all work.

The YN-622C can also fire non-Canon flashes, even studio strobes via their PC sockets, either alone or mixed with Speedlites or inexpensive manual flashes like my Vivitar 285HVs.

Yongnuo has recently released a Nikon version, the YN-622N, that is similar, but because Nikon bodies don't have flash control menus (if I understand correctly) they operate a little differently and I don't know if they have as extensive a feature set as the Canon versions. It couldn't hurt to add them to your research list, though, and the price-point is considerably lower than that of Pocket Wizards or Radio Poppers.

Oct 01, 2013 at 05:51 PM
Shasta
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon System and Yongnuo Flashes

Hey thanks BrianO, I will look at those.

Oct 02, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Waki
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon System and Yongnuo Flashes

Wait for the YN-622N-TX which is a sort of SU-800 device by Yongnuo. It's announced, so it will be along shortly.
Use it with the YN-622N transceivers. You can use the current offerings but they are a bit of a pain with only buttons for control and no display. The new TX model is a LCD dismay device and as BranO says very easy on the wallet.

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.