Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sand in focus ring- send to CPS for clean?

mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sand in focus ring- send to CPS for clean?

I managed to get a few grains of sand inside the focus ring (not just under the rubber, but the metal ring) of my 70-200. I heard a grinding sound when I turned the ring. I'm just leaving it alone for now as I don't want to cause any further damage. The most conservative course of action would be just to send it in to CPS for cleaning, but I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this successfully on their own?

Thanks in advance!

Sep 28, 2013 at 09:09 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sand in focus ring- send to CPS for clean?

Sorry to hear the mishap, Mitesh. I had a similar issue with my 85mm f/1.8 before; the lens rolled out of my bag while I was in DV. I was able to remove every single sand grain out without any major "surgery" and it worked just fine afterwards. The 85mm lens is fairly small and it is a prime lens. The 70-200mm zoom is definitely a more complex. I would send it in to CPS for cleaning.

Sep 28, 2013 at 09:32 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sand in focus ring- send to CPS for clean?

Thanks, Joshua. Glad to hear that you were able to clean your 85 without issues! In searching the web for possible solutions, I came across this tutorial on cleaning a 70-200 (forward to about 1:45). Great idea, huh?

Sep 28, 2013 at 09:40 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sand in focus ring- send to CPS for clean?

I love it!

Sep 28, 2013 at 09:49 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sand in focus ring- send to CPS for clean?

mitesh wrote:
... I came across this tutorial on cleaning a 70-200 (forward to about 1:45). Great idea, huh?

Awesome!

I notice that he started with an f/2.8 Mk II and switched to an f/4 IS for the final treatment.

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sand in focus ring- send to CPS for clean?

Mitish

Don't take advise from a guy with a filthy sink.

Seek Toshio's advise before he leaves for Japan at the end of the month.

T F Camera - 1-732-236-8806 - East Brunswick, NJ

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:24 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sand in focus ring- send to CPS for clean?

jcolwell wrote:
I notice that he started with an f/2.8 Mk II and switched to an f/4 IS for the final treatment.

You've got sharp eyes, Jim- I was too busy ROTFLMAO to notice

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:19 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sand in focus ring- send to CPS for clean?

Psychic1 wrote
Seek Toshio's advise...

Thanks, Frank. I will definitely keep it in mind. More than likely, though, I'll drive the 45 min. to the Canon VA service center and drop it off. Seems like the safest and most intelligent way of correcting my idiocy . Of course, washing the lens in a dirty sink comes in a close second...

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:24 AM
ravisrajan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sand in focus ring- send to CPS for clean?

jcolwell wrote:
Awesome!

To me it look like 70-200 coffee mug cleaning under running water, which look similar to the one show in this link..

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/1-1-ef-70-200mm-50d-coffee-cup-mug-for-canon-lens-new/219203529.html?listingId=125254000

Sep 28, 2013 at 04:41 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sand in focus ring- send to CPS for clean?

Psychic1 wrote:
Mitish

Don't take advise from a guy with a filthy sink...

Sep 29, 2013 at 03:08 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sand in focus ring- send to CPS for clean?

Pretty nasty sink, Jim. You should re-take that photo with a D800- I keep hearing it has "cleaner" files.

Sep 29, 2013 at 03:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sand in focus ring- send to CPS for clean?

Sep 29, 2013 at 03:39 PM
Gravitytoy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sand in focus ring- send to CPS for clean?

Bummer Mitesh - I had that same thing happen to my 70-200 after shooting in the dunes, and was able to get the few grains of sand out by running the edge of a piece of paper (sometimes folded if you need it thicker) into the slots fore and aft of the focus ring to dislodge the sand... might be worth a try before you bring it to CPS?

Aside from that, the sink treatment suggested by jcolwell seems like it would do the trick.

Good luck!

Sep 30, 2013 at 09:03 AM
sainineeraj

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sand in focus ring- send to CPS for clean?

Hi AgeoJo

I read in one of the forums that you were able to clean all the sand particles from your 85mm . I am in a similar situation after my visit to a beach. I ve got multiple sand particles under the focal ring and can hear the grinding. I tried vacuum and may have removed some but its still there. Can you share the method you use to clean your lens?

thanks
Neeraj

Jul 24, 2014 at 05:57 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sand in focus ring- send to CPS for clean?

mitesh wrote:
Thanks, Frank. I will definitely keep it in mind. More than likely, though, I'll drive the 45 min. to the Canon VA service center and drop it off. Seems like the safest and most intelligent way of correcting my idiocy . Of course, washing the lens in a dirty sink comes in a close second...

Do you have canon cps? Free FedEx pickup with platinum is very convenient even though I'm 20 minutes away. I think I've nearly broken even this year already. Excuse the pun!

David

Jul 24, 2014 at 06:13 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sand in focus ring- send to CPS for clean?

Thanks, David, but this is an old thread that was dredged up. I don't even have that lens anymore .

Jul 24, 2014 at 06:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.