Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2013 · Olive...RIP(video added)

eyelaser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Olive...RIP(video added)

lhdvries wrote:
Wow, what a magnificent series of images. What an honor you had to follow & photograph such a Royal animal & it was a special privilege for me to witness her through your images. As is the case often on this forum, I will never have the opportunity to see these wonderful animals in their natural habitat, so I really do appreciate your threads!!
A sad event for sure, but nature does move on as will her cubs for sure.

Leon

Leon, many thanks for such nice words. I know how lucky I am to be able to see and photograph these amazing cats. I hope you find a way to have the opportunity to do the same even if it's in a controlled environment. Just to be in their presence is very special.
Eric

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Olive...RIP(video added)

Ted ellis wrote:
Congrats Eric

Much appreciated UT....as some wise person once said..."She is gone but not forgotten"
Eric

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:21 AM
S. Calvino

p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Olive...RIP(video added)

Absolutely beautiful. I'm sure your wonderful tribute will allow Olive to rest with ease.

Oct 16, 2013 at 03:33 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Olive...RIP(video added)

S. Calvino wrote:
Absolutely beautiful. I'm sure your wonderful tribute will allow Olive to rest with ease.

Your thoughts and kind words are much appreciated. She gave many a great show and lots of great memories...
Eric

Oct 16, 2013 at 08:53 PM
moosehead222
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Olive...RIP(video added)

Olive is beautiful. I want to bookmark so I can easily come back to see these incredible photos. I know they are more than just photographs and a tribute to Olive and the like. Thanks for sharing.

Oct 19, 2013 at 03:02 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Olive...RIP(video added)

moosehead222 wrote:
Olive is beautiful. I want to bookmark so I can easily come back to see these incredible photos. I know they are more than just photographs and a tribute to Olive and the like. Thanks for sharing.

Your comments are very thoughtful and much appreciated.... thank you
Eric

Oct 21, 2013 at 09:19 PM
Suyash

p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Olive...RIP(video added)

Woww! amazing

Jul 23, 2014 at 06:27 PM
fingerda
• • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Olive...RIP(video added)

She was a beautiful animal and a great model and role model. Sad to hear of her demise. Fabulous pics!

DaveF

Jul 23, 2014 at 07:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

marc2307

p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Olive...RIP(video added)

When I last saw her in 2011 she almost met her maker at the tooth and claw of a big male lion only to escape at the last second...it was only a matter of time before her luck ran out.

Love this series Eric, a fitting tribute, remember it from Africa Geo, another icon, sadly gone to online only.

A sad day indeed for such a regal feline, I too saw her almost come to grief once in 2008 (by stampeding Gnu) and again in 2010 (to lions) both whilst @ Rekero, surely her 9 lives were well and truely up.

RIP, my beauty.

Jul 23, 2014 at 08:42 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Olive...RIP(video added)

Suyash wrote:
Woww! amazing

Thanks for bringing her back for a bit Suyash...she was a great cat!
---------------------------------------------

fingerda wrote:
She was a beautiful animal and a great model and role model. Sad to hear of her demise. Fabulous pics!

DaveF

Thanks so much Dave...yup she was a good mother who has raised a few litters and so her lineage continues her tradition....it was sad for all that had the pleasure to know her.
---------------------------------------------

marc2307 wrote:
Love this series Eric, a fitting tribute, remember it from Africa Geo, another icon, sadly gone to online only.

A sad day indeed for such a regal feline, I too saw her almost come to grief once in 2008 (by stampeding Gnu) and again in 2010 (to lions) both whilst @ Rekero, surely her 9 lives were well and truely up.

RIP, my beauty.

Thanks Marc....it is odd the attachment we have to these special cats...almost like celebrities we know from film but when they pass on its as though a friend has died....she was very special and hopefully her offspring will be
...Show more

Jul 24, 2014 at 04:36 PM
marc2307

p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Olive...RIP(video added)

eyelaser wrote:
Thanks Marc....it is odd the attachment we have to these special cats...almost like celebrities we know from film but when they pass on its as though a friend has died....she was very special and hopefully her offspring will be as well.
I do think she lived on the edge and eventually her luck had to run out...but it was a good run!
Eric

Totally agree,
it's worth noting that just between the 2 of us, she came close to her maker on 3 occasions, so she was surely a cat living on the edge and is evident as to just how tough the struggle for survival, even for a top predator, really is!

Cheers
Marc

Jul 24, 2014 at 06:27 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Olive...RIP(video added)

marc2307 wrote:
Totally agree,
it's worth noting that just between the 2 of us, she came close to her maker on 3 occasions, so she was surely a cat living on the edge and is evident as to just how tough the struggle for survival, even for a top predator, really is!

Cheers
Marc

Living amongst all those lions and hyenas I can imagine she had many many close calls...and as you say, if we saw three then this must have happened pretty regularly. I'm reposting the video from her encounter with a big male lion.

http://tinyurl.com/mlhcy8p

http://tinyurl.com/n4m2t9h

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:16 AM
marc2307

p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Olive...RIP(video added)

Thanks for the videp posting Eric,
by all accounts she should be dead and I'm very surprised why this big male didn't pounce on her as she was so indulged in the kill, he could have done so with ease.
Was that your commentry?
Not sure if I could have remained silent and not pounded on the vehicle to distract him and
get her attention at the same time, I have done this once with a cheetah in Ruaha where she escaped in the nick of time........I know it's nature and all and it was a rare time I actually put my DSRL down to intervene.

Jul 25, 2014 at 06:45 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Olive...RIP(video added)

We felt the lion was only interested in the carcass and could have easily taken her out if so inclined....we left her perched precariously up a thin tree about 100meters away as night fell. You can hear the guides shouting at her to get away...they were quite invested in her as well. It took at least a half hour for my pulse to get back to normal.
Eric

Jul 25, 2014 at 06:56 PM
kdacharya
• • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Olive...RIP(video added)

I just found this thread, Eric. So sorry to hear about your loss. She was an amazing Cat. very appropriate tribute.

Jul 25, 2014 at 07:13 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password