Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Archive 2013 · Olive...RIP(video added)

Lil Judd
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Olive...RIP(video added)

So sorry Eric,

beautiful tribute to a beautiful Olive. Looks like she had a good life - though hard

Lil

Sep 30, 2013 at 04:38 PM
markdennis
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Olive...RIP(video added)

I'm very moved. A fantastic animal and superb photographs. Good luck to all her offspring in whom she will live on.

Mark

Sep 30, 2013 at 05:27 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Olive...RIP(video added)

Fantastic tribute to Olive, Eric. All the shots are beautiful.

Sep 30, 2013 at 07:44 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Olive...RIP(video added)

A wonderful set of photos, Eric, and a wonderful tribute to a beautiful animal. You've caught a range of moods, behaviors, and offspring; thanks for sharing your experiences.

Greg

Sep 30, 2013 at 09:48 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Olive...RIP(video added)

canon.eos30d wrote:
What a sad story, Eric. Farewell to Olive and what a great set of Olive's pictures.

- Tam

Thanks so much Tam...a sad ending no doubt but in the end I suspect almost all predators meet the same ending.
Eric

Oct 01, 2013 at 01:10 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Olive...RIP(video added)

ScottHM wrote:
That's a shame to hear, but at least she left a wonderful legacy and lasting impression upon you, as well as others with the photos you took. Life in the wild seldom ends easily, it's just harder when you make an attachment like that.

Scott, you are so correct. Virtually every animal I have ever photographed has met with a less than gentle end to its life...had rangers not found her it is doubtful we would have ever know how she met her demise...she would have simply not been seen anymore. I'm not sure knowing is better but it does add what would otherwise have been an unknown closing chapter to her life.
Eric

Oct 01, 2013 at 01:13 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Olive...RIP(video added)

Charlie Shugart wrote:
A fitting tribute, Eric.
And a whole bunch of excellent images.
Having two out of four canine teeth that have been broken attest to the tough life Olive led; and those probably happened when she WON the battles with prey.
The constant threat of lions and hyenas to her and her young added onto that.
She had a long and successful life, though, and we sure have enjoyed your sharing images of her and some of her babies.
Thanks to you both.
Charlie

Many thanks Charlie. Being a predator is far from easy as you noted. When you are so dependent on your teeth and they have broken or worn down then the end is certainly near. She was an amazing cat and I am so lucky to have been able to see her on two separate occasions a 16 months apart. It was on that second visit that I almost saw her get taken out by a male lion....it was obviously only a matter of time.
Eric

Oct 01, 2013 at 01:17 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Olive...RIP(video added)

KCollett wrote:
An excellent memoir for the big, beautiful cat Eric. Your attachment came through in the various posts over the years, and I'm sure will not end with this one, as the memories will be with you forever Stellar set and commentary.

Thanks so much for your nice words and recognizing just how I felt about her. Odd, as I never had a pet that I felt attached to but this cat provided me with so much viewing pleasure that I felt she was mine....I am sure to go back to some photos never posted and put them up in due time.
Eric

Oct 01, 2013 at 01:20 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Olive...RIP(video added)

cjw313 wrote:
Very sad news. I saw her with a cub in June last year and another cub this year. And in Sept, 2009 I saw her drag an impala kill under a tree that ended up being stolen by hyenas while she went to get her 2 babies. I didn't get to see those cubs.

You have many beautiful images of her. Thanks for sharing them.

She obviously was a favorite of many and provided amazing sightings to lots of photographers. I wish I had gotten a chance to see her interact with her cubs but always saw them in separate locales. That broken lower canine made her easy to recognize...hopefully her female cubs take up her territory and are half the leopard she was. Glad you got to see and photograph her as well.
Eric

Oct 01, 2013 at 01:23 AM
coferg
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Olive...RIP(video added)

Eric:
Those photographs of Olive are extraordinary. When I look at her, she seems content, even to the point of recognizing you personally. We all get to see the outside of her, and her environment. But since we are not cats, we don't get to know what she is really thinking or feeling. Your work cries out for that information, and the result is a heart to heart connection. "I am a cat, and this is my life" may have been her words to you. While her chapter has ended, her book certainly hasn't. I hope you will be able to return and have Olivettes to follow in the future. Well done, and thanks for sharing a part of your life.
- Jim

Oct 01, 2013 at 02:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Olive...RIP(video added)

BeeBalm wrote:
Eric,
So sorry you are sad today missing your beautiful lady!
You have your wonderful photos capturing all your wonderful memories to hold her close to your heart always!
BeeBalm

Many thanks for you kind thoughts BB. I feel very fortunate to have had the quality time I did on two different safaris...I know many others felt the same way.
Eric

Oct 01, 2013 at 04:05 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Olive...RIP(video added)

surfnron wrote:
A great tribute to a lovely lady Eric. It is sad, but natural. At least she left some heirs to here territory ~ Ron

Thanks so much Ron....I suspect the local wildebeest and impala herds breathed a little easier but not for long. You are so right that her heirs will take over and wreck as much havoc as she did.
Eric

Oct 01, 2013 at 04:07 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Olive...RIP(video added)

B Benson wrote:
Eric, what a great story with great photos to enhance it. Hope some of her offspring can take her place for you. Bruce

Thanks so much Bruce. If her cubs become half of what she was then that part of the Mara is in really good shape for leopard viewing for a long time to come. Sad that she met her end in a violent manner but I suspect that is how most meet their demise.
Eric

Oct 01, 2013 at 04:09 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Olive...RIP(video added)

morris wrote:
This is a wonderful tribute Eric and the action photos are a delight as well as all the great portraits.

Morris

Thanks Morris...more so than any other leopard I've been fortunate to photograph she worked it like a supermodel.
Eric

Oct 01, 2013 at 04:10 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Olive...RIP(video added)

OwlsEyes wrote:
Eric,
Your images of Olive really demonstrate the grace and power in which she lived her life.
Your commentary about the senseless killing of animals by humans is quite poignant. Wild cats like Olive (and all other mammals) live on the edge of survival. Their tight energy budgets and competition with others in their range make life hard enough.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful body of work, knowledge and sentiments.
regards,
bruce

Bruce, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment in such a thoughtful manner. I've been going to Africa for 36 years now (which is odd since I'm only 35 )...and I hope to be able to show these amazing wild animals to my grandchildren one day...with climate change and wonton killing of some of our iconic creatures I'm doubting whether that will indeed be possible.
I know Olive gave many many photographers and safari goers hours and hours of great pleasure...she will be missed.
Eric

Oct 01, 2013 at 04:15 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Olive...RIP(video added)

waldr_p wrote:
Great set Eric with some beautiful shots of Olive. Your post is a fitting tribute to a stunning animal.

Paul.

Many Thanks Paul...we don't often get a chance to connect with wild animals...even if only in our mind...
Eric

Oct 01, 2013 at 04:17 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Olive...RIP(video added)

Wonderful, wonderful tribute to a cat I was hoping to finally meet next year in the Mara. It is nature's way, harsh as it is...

Oct 01, 2013 at 04:54 PM
Chris Schlaf
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Olive...RIP(video added)

Great images

Oct 02, 2013 at 12:48 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Olive...RIP(video added)

Lil Judd wrote:
So sorry Eric,

beautiful tribute to a beautiful Olive. Looks like she had a good life - though hard

Lil

Thanks so much for you kind comments Lil...living by tooth and claw is a mighty tough life. She lived it well and was a fabulous mother who raised 7 cubs to adulthood...not bad I say.
Eric

Oct 02, 2013 at 12:55 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Olive...RIP(video added)

Bones74 wrote:
Fantastic tribute to Olive, Eric. All the shots are beautiful.

Many thanks...I'm glad you enjoyed the pix.
Eric

Oct 02, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password