Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · fall leaves with snow.

andyjaggy82
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · fall leaves with snow.

I'm a little undecided about this shot, I'm not sure if I like it or not, so I am curious to hear people's opinions on it. Keep it or trash it?

http://andysportfolio.com/external-files/photography/_MG_1946.jpg

Sep 27, 2013 at 09:50 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · fall leaves with snow.

I like it. I was planning to stop here in a couple days. I was wondering if there was snow.

The snow and oaks and the red fringed clouds look good. I know you probably wish you had a bit of Timp showing. Still good.

Sep 27, 2013 at 09:55 PM
michaelnel
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · fall leaves with snow.

I have never really seen anything like it before this, but it makes me feel good to look at it, and also makes me want to go grab my parka.

Very nice!

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · fall leaves with snow.

How could you trash this? Its so great! I would definitely think of cropping just to the bottom of the tree line on the right side. The foreground is the only thing I would exclude or change here.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Alan Brock
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · fall leaves with snow.

Andy, I think you've got a really nice image here. I often feel this way about my images when they don't have a strong foreground component. In cases like this, I feel I'm just taking a picture of a pretty scene with nothing to lead the viewer into the image. However, I have learned to accept and appreciate these images. I think you've done really well with this. It's a unique scene and your processing is spot on. Absolutely keep it; scenes like this don't come around too often.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:16 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · fall leaves with snow.

I agree that cropping out the foreground would make this an outstanding shot. I can see it printed 5-6 feet wide and hanging over a fireplace.

Sep 28, 2013 at 05:56 AM
ramdisk
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · fall leaves with snow.

keep it!

Sep 28, 2013 at 08:38 AM
JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · fall leaves with snow.

Definitely keep it. It is an amazing shot. +1 on cropping the bottom.

Sep 28, 2013 at 09:39 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · fall leaves with snow.

Overwhelming support in cropping off the bottom. I am not sure though, I like all of that white snow. The other issue is resolution, I didn't think it was going to be anything special so I only took a single shot, if I had been thinking I would have flipped the camera vertical, zoomed in and done a stitch. So either way a 6 foot print is probably out of the question.

At any rate here is a version with the bottom cropped more.

http://andysportfolio.com/external-files/photography/crop.jpg

Sep 28, 2013 at 09:52 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · fall leaves with snow.

I think this scene is better suited to a telephoto shot. I would have focused on the tops of the trees in the left middle. The foreground looks a bit messy and dirty for the wide angle shot. With much more snow maybe it would have worked better.

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · fall leaves with snow.

Trash? Are you kidding!!! Awesome shot.

Sep 28, 2013 at 04:10 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · fall leaves with snow.

Looking at it again I think I do like the crop better. So it's about 6,000 pixels wide on the long end, so I could still get a decent sized print out of it.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I think I will do a final edit on it, the cool thing about this shot is I didn't do any editing on it outside of boosting the saturation about 10%.

Sep 28, 2013 at 05:04 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · fall leaves with snow.

Keep it. I like the cropped version better.

Sasha.

Sep 28, 2013 at 05:35 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · fall leaves with snow.

You have a beautiful photo there Andy! I really like the colors with the fresh snow. Nice Work!

Oct 14, 2013 at 02:55 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.