Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

20 Minutes away

Mark Metternich
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 20 Minutes away

Just 20 minutes from my new place in outdoor paradise Bend, Oregon sits one of the most majestic lake scenes in the world, Sparks Lake (I know a lot of you already know of it!). Going for something a little different I decided to blow the entire sunrise on just one 7 minute shot.

Processing was pretty straight forward. As always, I used my innovative "Blend if" techniques for the masking, to make tonal work a lot easier and more subtle.

Can also be seen here:

https://www.facebook.com/mark.metternich

Or here:

http://500px.com/photo/47587432

*Most accurately viewed on a well calibrated monitor and on Safari, Firefox or Chrome (color managed browsers).

Thanks for looking!

Edited on Sep 27, 2013 at 10:47 PM · View previous versions

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Steve Dublanko

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 20 Minutes away

Sweet shot Mark. I don't know if I could keep the shutter open for 7 minutes wile I watched the light move like this. You have more patience than I do. Props for trying something different!

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #3 · 20 Minutes away

Got anything from the Metolius in the Camp Sherman area, Mark?

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Butch Braniger
• •
p.1 #4 · 20 Minutes away

Mark, this is a beautiful shot! Thank you for sharing.

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:20 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · 20 Minutes away

Mark, I love everything about this shot other than the clouds. Looking at the clouds really does hurt my eyes. Love to see this with a much shorter shutter as the composition and colours in the photo are really nice...but the movement in the clouds just does not do it for me.

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · 20 Minutes away

chez wrote:
Mark, I love everything about this shot other than the clouds. Looking at the clouds really does hurt my eyes. Love to see this with a much shorter shutter as the composition and colours in the photo are really nice...but the movement in the clouds just does not do it for me.

I understand Chez and I do appreciate the feedback.

I admit it, I have a tendency to gravitate toward the surreal or even weird whenever I can. Maybe its partly due to having been at this full time for almost 10 years now. I like less "normal" images. I think I probably get bored a little easier these days and simply love to experiment! That is a word I teach my students and workshop attendees often. Experiment. To be honest the clouds are the only reason I picked this for processing. I know it wont be everyones cup of tea though and I respect that.

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:59 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · 20 Minutes away

Hey Mark,

You are right, the shot looks great on Safari. I just realized that I have Safari on my Ipad Mini, so now I can see what I have been missing with IE all this time.

Jim

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · 20 Minutes away

JimFox wrote:
Hey Mark,

You are right, the shot looks great on Safari. I just realized that I have Safari on my Ipad Mini, so now I can see what I have been missing with IE all this time.

Jim

!

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:09 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · 20 Minutes away

This is just great. It also looks the same on Safari and Chrome, is Chrome color managed now? I don't have IE so I can't compare.

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:18 AM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #10 · 20 Minutes away

Mark,

Man that is a beauty of a shot. I like the subtle sunset colors and the crazy cloud patterns. 20mins away sadly is work for me, concrete jungle

Jason

Sep 28, 2013 at 03:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dakel
• •
p.1 #11 · 20 Minutes away

Beautiful cup of tea if you ask me. Good to hear about your penchance for the weird and surreal fueling your creativity - or perhaps it's the reverse.

Sep 28, 2013 at 05:19 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #12 · 20 Minutes away

The clouds movements are awesome and give feelings of freedom, creative life energy, and your passion and enthusiasm for life.
Good day, always!
-Kee

Sep 28, 2013 at 01:35 PM
matthewh133
• •
p.1 #13 · 20 Minutes away

Love it Mark! I do really love the cloud motion myself. Some beautiful conditions around.

I'd really love to move to Bend. Visited there last year and stayed with this lovely elderly couple on the western edge of town with incredible views of the three sisters. Nothing between them and the mountains but trees. Swam in their pool looking out over the brilliant view. It was a great experience. Plenty to do outdoors within a small drive.. though it's very hard for us Aussies to get a VISA for the USA other than a travel VISA You don't happen to need to hire an Aussie photographer to put on your books and sweep the gallery floors do you?

Going to have to "settle" for Banff or Canmore I guess.. lol.

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · 20 Minutes away

ben egbert wrote:
This is just great. It also looks the same on Safari and Chrome, is Chrome color managed now? I don't have IE so I can't compare.

Thank you. Yes Chrome is good!

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:57 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #15 · 20 Minutes away

Very nice. I am also not a huge fan of the streaky clouds, but I like the shot anyway. Sparks lake has been on my hit list for quite some time now.

Sep 30, 2013 at 03:23 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #16 · 20 Minutes away

I really like this a lot, Mark. Especially your use of a long exposure.

-Nick

Sep 30, 2013 at 05:34 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · 20 Minutes away

You are so lucky.
This is an exquisite image. thanks for showing.
Bob

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:46 PM
matthewsaville
• •
p.1 #18 · 20 Minutes away

Gorgeous image! I don't want to know what the rent is around there... Sigh....

Oct 01, 2013 at 01:04 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · 20 Minutes away

nburwell wrote:
I really like this a lot, Mark. Especially your use of a long exposure.

-Nick

Thanks Nick! I know it is an acquired taste. Thank you for the feedback and success to your own work!

Oct 01, 2013 at 03:28 AM
kellyakinsart
• • •
p.1 #20 · 20 Minutes away

Spectacular shot. The design, lighting, color and technique are superb.

Kelly

Oct 01, 2013 at 06:55 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password