New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · More Help - Musical Instrument 2

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · More Help - Musical Instrument 2

Help with WA - Musical Instrument 2 is a second attempt at improving on a previous post. This was all I had time for this morning. Any & all suggestions appreciated. Thank you Jim

Sep 27, 2013 at 01:14 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · More Help - Musical Instrument 2

Perhaps a smidge less negative space on either the top or the bottom for a less static compo? Consider polishing-off fingerprints. Perhaps some scratch retouching? Maybe some focus stacking for greater DOF?

Sep 27, 2013 at 08:17 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · More Help - Musical Instrument 2

My vision of how I would shoot this is somewhat different from yours, so please excuse me if I'm overstepping my bounds by proposing something that would alter your concept and what you're trying to achieve.
The shaft of the guitar from the middle of the photo to the left edge is mostly in darkness and plays little role in your photo. There are some highlights at the left edge, but that area is out of focus and indistinct. So it's only the right half of the photo that the viewer is focusing on. That is the area that you have drawn our eye to, and that's because it's the brightest and has the sharpest focus and has the most interesting features. So it's almost as if you could crop out the left 1/5 of the photo and lose little. The lettering on the top edge of the guitar also interests me, but is hard to read as you've shot the guitar almost face up. My eye keeps wanting to look down onto the top edge. Also, the strings play little role in your composition, even though functionally and aesthetically they are a major component of the guitar.
So in my vision, I would recompose and rotate the guitar more toward the viewer to better see the flat edge of the top. In addition, that would show the strings leading from the right edge all the way to the left edge in your photo given that you accompanied them with some interesting lighting. It would create a leading line "highway" running from the right edge all the way to the left edge. You'd also see the unique lettering on the top edge from a better viewpoint giving the guitar more personality. Last, this rotated angle would give you a better feel for the organic shape of the guitar shaft.
Again, I hope you don't mind me making these suggestions. Just some conceptual aspects I was thinking about.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:36 PM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · More Help - Musical Instrument 2

AuntiPode wrote:
Perhaps a smidge less negative space on either the top or the bottom for a less static compo? Consider polishing-off fingerprints. Perhaps some scratch retouching? Maybe some focus stacking for greater DOF?

+1
I like this one Jim but I think I may like your first one better. The first one was a bit simpler and was more about the wooden neck and head of the bass. This one seems more about the head and the tuners. The first seems to be more about the wood where this one seems to be more about the metal.
I think this is a good example of how small changes can make a big difference in how a composition feels. It's also a good example of how advice isn't always good. (Sorry for that)
I like your photos and I think you have good instincts Jim. I would be interested to know which image you like?
Greg

Sep 28, 2013 at 08:27 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · More Help - Musical Instrument 2

AuntiPode wrote:

Thank you. I believe you are on to something. Jim

Sep 28, 2013 at 09:22 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · More Help - Musical Instrument 2

eeneryma wrote:
My vision of how I would shoot this is somewhat different from yours, so please excuse me if I'm overstepping my bounds by proposing something that would alter your concept and what you're trying to achieve.
The shaft of the guitar from the middle of the photo to the left edge is mostly in darkness and plays little role in your photo. There are some highlights at the left edge, but that area is out of focus and indistinct. So it's only the right half of the photo that the viewer is focusing on. That is the area that you have
...Show more

Thank you. It is by the assistance of others that we learn. Your ideas are excellent. Jim

Sep 28, 2013 at 09:24 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · More Help - Musical Instrument 2

gregfixit wrote:
+1
I like this one Jim but I think I may like your first one better. The first one was a bit simpler and was more about the wooden neck and head of the bass. This one seems more about the head and the tuners. The first seems to be more about the wood where this one seems to be more about the metal.
I think this is a good example of how small changes can make a big difference in how a composition feels. It's also a good example of how advice isn't always good. (Sorry for that)
I
...Show more

Sep 28, 2013 at 09:25 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · More Help - Musical Instrument 2

Jim, while I appreciate the images you posted from your first selection to this image, I feel the overall angle of the guitar is a little unusual. I took the liberty of doing a rotation on the image and lightening up the neck of the guitar.

Sep 29, 2013 at 01:07 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · More Help - Musical Instrument 2

Oregon Gal wrote:
Jim, while I appreciate the images you posted from your first selection to this image, I feel the overall angle of the guitar is a little unusual. I took the liberty of doing a rotation on the image and lightening up the neck of the guitar.

Thank you. This is an improvement. Jim

Sep 29, 2013 at 04:10 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · More Help - Musical Instrument 2

Oregon Girl: Jim, while I appreciate the images you posted from your first selection to this image, I feel the overall angle of the guitar is a little unusual. I took the liberty of doing a rotation on the image and lightening up the neck of the guitar.

Nice work!! Diagonal lines make the compostion more dynamic, as well as touches to the lighting.
Steve

Sep 29, 2013 at 09:22 AM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · More Help - Musical Instrument 2

oldrattler wrote:

Thank you. This is an improvement. Jim

Glad to be helpful

Sep 29, 2013 at 01:59 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.