Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

The bend of the Colorado

ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · The bend of the Colorado

This view of the Colorado is more often seen from Dead Horse Point. On a trip a couple weeks back I took my Grandson on the Shafer Trail-Potash road back to Moab. It goes by this place.

I was in a hurry to beat the rain and even so had to ford a lake near the Potash plant. I would have liked to be here at dawn and to take the time to figure out how to get the whole thing with more water.
I would need to work up the nerve to get closer to the edge.

The first shot is a 17TSE 3 shot stitch using the full shift left and right. Not high enough to get much water however. I donít think rotating it 45 degrees and doing 4 shifts would work as it would not be wide enough.

The second is a 3 shot stitch with a Samyang 14. I had to pre crop the shots to get the stitching program to work as there was lots of corner distortion.

If you have a shot of this place feel free to show it. It is very demanding because of the sheer width required.

17tse 3 image stitch

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    TS-E17mm f/4L lens    17mm    f/8.0    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

14mm Samyang 3 image stitch

Sep 27, 2013 at 04:43 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #2 · The bend of the Colorado

Nice work on a tough shot

How deep wast the water?

Sep 27, 2013 at 05:05 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · The bend of the Colorado

Never been at this water level, I doubt its very deep but I think its about 600 feet below where I was standing.

Sep 27, 2013 at 05:08 PM
jdc562
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · The bend of the Colorado

Thanks for the new perspective (new for me, anyway). I like the detail and deep colors. The chunk of earth in the foreground of #2 detracts somewhat from the scene, but the dirt looks so crumbly that getting any closer to the edge was probably suicidal.

Sep 27, 2013 at 06:23 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · The bend of the Colorado

jdc562 wrote:
Thanks for the new perspective (new for me, anyway). I like the detail and deep colors. The chunk of earth in the foreground of #2 detracts somewhat from the scene, but the dirt looks so crumbly that getting any closer to the edge was probably suicidal.

It was probably ok, I am now thinking that getting closer and turning my 17 TSE vertical and shooting many shots by sliding the camera on the rail might have worked. I don't have pano gear. Rotating an UWA usually does not work well.

Sep 27, 2013 at 06:30 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · The bend of the Colorado

It's changed a lot since 2007...
D80 and a 10mm

Sep 27, 2013 at 08:38 PM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · The bend of the Colorado

Very creative effort to get a different perspective, Ben. I applaud you for that. This may be a case where using the tripod on the ground to extend the camera over the edge might work. Anyway, in #1, there are blown highlights in the clouds, probably simple to fix.

Sep 27, 2013 at 08:40 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · The bend of the Colorado

I sort of thought you would have one. Thats a wide shot.

Sep 27, 2013 at 08:40 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · The bend of the Colorado

Ground level. I climbed down the only hidden crack to the river bank. That was an eerie feeling down there.

The reason I was down there, by the way, is because a photographer got too close with a D700 and 14-24mm lens and it fell over the edge (accidents happen). So I was looking for it. Never found it though.

Sep 27, 2013 at 08:41 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · The bend of the Colorado

ckcarr wrote:
Ground level. I climbed down the only hidden crack to the river bank. That was an eerie feeling down there.

http://ckcarr.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Canyonlands-and-Dead-Horse/i-P5Bxrmg/0/XL/DSCN0110-XL.jpg

The reason I was down there, by the way, is because a photographer got too close with a D700 and 14-24mm lens and it fell over the edge (accidents happen). So I was looking for it. Never found it though.

Wow, I would not want to climb down there. I expect they have raft trips through here although I have never seen one.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · The bend of the Colorado

stanparker wrote:
Very creative effort to get a different perspective, Ben. I applaud you for that. This may be a case where using the tripod on the ground to extend the camera over the edge might work. Anyway, in #1, there are blown highlights in the clouds, probably simple to fix.

I probably could fix it. I really prefer less distortion as obtained in the first.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #12 · The bend of the Colorado

I guess in theory the highlights in the sky are blown out. Regardless, the processing looks great on my monitor. I would not "fix" anything. I do prefer the second image. The first seems to be cutoff without an explanation. The second shows the reason and adds a bit of foreground interest. Of course, you could compromise and crop off all but enough of the bottom to include all of the water and not much more. No reason to quibble, both are good.

Sep 28, 2013 at 01:28 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · The bend of the Colorado

Thanks Jim. This is more of a record shot sort of thing. I started with the 17 and realized it was simply not wide enough even with stitching, so I went to the 14 which is really hard to stitch because of the edge distortion.

I probably should have gone vertical but I hate shooting vertical because its hard for me to focus and compose.

Sep 28, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #14 · The bend of the Colorado

Call it a "record" shot if you like, but you have a great location, nice sky, good color.

Sep 28, 2013 at 02:38 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · The bend of the Colorado

Camperjim wrote:
Call it a "record" shot if you like, but you have a great location, nice sky, good color.

I liked the sky and colors and the scene, but I did not take the time to do it justice because I was worried about being trapped down there. I am not an experienced off road guy.

Sep 28, 2013 at 04:37 PM
Nori
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · The bend of the Colorado

Beautiful image, never seen an image from this view point. Sunrise here would be great.

Sep 28, 2013 at 06:38 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · The bend of the Colorado

LOVE the first! AWESOME PERSPECTIVE!!!!

Sep 28, 2013 at 09:11 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · The bend of the Colorado

Thanks Nori and Mark.