Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Photographers

ValerieMillett

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photographers

This past year had so many "firsts". First year, I'd used a full frame DSLR. First time I'd ever seen Havasu Falls. First year I went chasing the Fall colors. I jumped in my SUV and from the warmth of the Sonoran desert I found myself in an Autumn colored explosion in a very cold Colorado. I loved the color and dramatic skies, the country back roads, new and amazing vistas everywhere but what I wasn't prepared for was .....the photographers.

Many years before, long before I'd touched a camera, I remembered seeing an amazing photo.This beautiful mountain vista with snowy peaks and Autumn colors flanking both sides and an audience of what looked like hundreds of photographers who had made the pilgrimage. It was quite the photo.

Fast-forward, Pro-photographer Kerrick James was kind enough to invite me to photograph Havasupai this summer with him. A place, I've wanted to see for a long time but never had the chance to go until a few months ago. I told Kerrick that I had read his article in OP Magazine about adding people into the landscapes to add scale, depth and interest. Something I'd never done but after we chatted about it for some time, his enthusiasm about it inspired me to change my ideas on the subject. This is why I find shooting with others of a much greater skill set and experience level so rewarding. I love when someone inspires me to change my way of thinking. Kerrick did that.

It all of the sudden dawned on me while I was shooting this Fall scene that I was INDEED in the exact same place of the very intriguing photo I'd seen years before (perhaps it was the throng of shutterbugs that nudged my memory) but nevertheless, I was now one of "them"

Almost a year later and still not having fully edited my shots from that Fall, I'd remembered that I'd taken images with (gasp) people in them and in light of my recent conversation with Kerrick, I went back to explore them since I'd so readily sidelined them.

And now, a new way of thinking :-) Just in time as I head back into the Fall colors of Colorado...tomorrow !!

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Butch Braniger
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photographers

Great write up and image. Have a great time in Colorado!

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photographers

Was that last year? What date? I was there for 4 days at the end of sept! (sept 23-26) It was stunning. Coincidently I made a similar image. (sept. 26)

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:31 AM
ValerieMillett

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photographers

well, that was close, this was shot 9-28 of last year and yes, it was UNREAL :-)

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photographers

ValerieMillett wrote:
well, that was close, this was shot 9-28 of last year and yes, it was UNREAL :-)

Nice! On the 26th I went to Telluride to photograph the Dallas Divide / Ridgway area.

This year it seems the peak is going to happen a bit later. There is snow so it should be awesome.

Sep 27, 2013 at 01:33 AM
ValerieMillett

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photographers

Yep, I'm excited about the snow too. I have a few friends up there now and really, I don't think I'll be disappointed!

Sep 27, 2013 at 02:10 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photographers

I can't even imagine that much yellow. So sweet. Id still rather see the classic shot of the landscape though.

Sep 27, 2013 at 03:08 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photographers

Nice narrative and images. I'm in Ouray (since 9/22) and have driven Rte 62 and side roads, Rte 145 to Rico and side roads, Rte 550 from Montrose to Molas Pass and side roads, and Owl Creek Pass to Silver Jack Reservoir, and I haven't seen color that solid yet. There are some good patches, but the peak is yet to come.

Sep 27, 2013 at 03:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photographers

Hi Valerie,

Nice idea on this shot. Myself, I think I would crop a bit off the right not have the people extend so far into the shot. Right now, instead of complimenting and balancing the shot, they seem to end up being the focus of the shot. Which for me is not that interesting. They can play a very nice complimentary role but reducing the amount of them in the scene, and how far they reach into the scene.

Jim

Sep 27, 2013 at 05:35 AM
ValerieMillett

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photographers

Thanks Jim for the tips!!

I still haven't even fully edited my last trip to Colorado. I have 5 days worth of images and ALL were straight up landscapes and vistas. This was the ONLY shot I took with people in it and I left it unedited
because I'm not one to LOVE the ppl shots. I just went back and revisited the shot a few days ago, thinking of my trip back. Where I used to totally avoid them, I now find it a bit interesting ,

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photographers

I see another current thread here also looks at the effect of including human figures in landscape: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1243885

Dan

Sep 27, 2013 at 03:25 PM
ChuckLyons

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Photographers

The big long log is now gone. When the lake dried up last year , so did the log , when the lake filed up this summer the log floated down to the dam .
Chuck

Sep 27, 2013 at 04:04 PM
ValerieMillett

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Photographers

GDan...I'm just blown away by your shots on the other thread about scale... wow. It's those kinds of images that really inspire me to add peeps. But, needless to say, it has to be done just right to get the impact you did with those images. Those shots wouldn't be the same sans the human figure creating that scale.

@ Jim, I tried to crop this with less photographers. I do like it better

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Photographers

Thanks for the background behind the story! Nice shot! The people give it scale which I like. The colors are to die for.

The photographers thing is a double edged sword to me. I lead groups of photographers for a living, so I LOVE to do that! I also love all the friends and personalities I get to meet and helping and the camaraderie. That is one side of the sword.

On other the other hand, when I am doing my own personal shooting and I see a group of photographers, I often run for the hills!

But then again, once I was at White Pocket (AZ) and I was enjoying some days alone out there and starting to shoot a sunset and suddenly there where about 10 photographers coming up behind me. They were Russians. The tour leader asked me where the best place to set up might be and I directed him to a general location. After a blazing sunset they invited me back to their camp where we had shots of Vodka and sausage and tons of laughter and joyous conversation and then back out for a star shoot! I met friends that are still friends today from that experience. So yeah, I am torn.

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:18 PM
halie
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Photographers

Landscape photographers are multiplying like gerbils and spreading everywhere these days. I personally dislike any humans in landscape photos, unless the photos are really about the people and not so much about the landscape.

Sep 29, 2013 at 01:48 AM
ChrisZeh

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Photographers

The only thing better then rubbing shoulders with 100 photographers is eating pizza with good people after a long day of shooting.

Sep 30, 2013 at 04:45 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password