Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would yo...

stedge
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would you get?

Thinking about messing with film a bit, again.

If I do this, I plan on using only MF lenses, but YMMV.

Sep 26, 2013 at 08:18 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would you get?

I would definitely get an FE-2.

I have at least 6 MF Nikons and have had plenty more but the FE-2 is the classiest and most practical (A mode when required, great grip with an MD-12, TTL metering) and very light and small when needed.

Sep 26, 2013 at 08:22 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would you get?

FM3a is the thing you want.
I got the original FE, the FM2 and the FM3a, the FM3a is my favorite by a long shot. Very clear and huge viewfinder, nice focusing screen, well build (same as all other FE/FM).
Ian, do you have a FM3a? If yes, why do you prefer the FE-2 to the FM3a.

Sep 26, 2013 at 08:35 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would you get?

I would probably look at an FM, FM2, or an FE/FE2....FA, or FG as well...any of them you really cant go wrong....just dont get a nikormat, as those are for non-ai lenses...although, if you dont have any lenses, Non-AI lenses can be cheap...

If you want to get an AF body, the N80 cant be beat for the price...they're down to like $25-$50.....they'll use any modern G Lenses, AI lenses, AF-S or screwdrive AF....and it handles just like a modern digital body.....front and rear command dials, ae/af lock button, top LCD, rear multi selector with 5 AF points....Only problem is it's not great for manual focus...no split image focusing screen like manual focus bodies.....

Sep 26, 2013 at 08:38 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would you get?

playerofwar wrote:
FM3a is the thing you want.
I got the original FE, the FM2 and the FM3a, the FM3a is my favorite by a long shot. Very clear and huge viewfinder, nice focusing screen, well build (same as all other FE/FM).
Ian, do you have a FM3a? If yes, why do you prefer the FE-2 to the FM3a.

No I don't. Would love one (esp black) but they are much more expensive.

Sep 26, 2013 at 09:03 PM
stedge
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would you get?

Thanks for the opinions thus far.

I am thinking of the smaller form factor, since I shoot D3 etc for soccer. This is one to carry in the bag more often. So FYI I am not considering an F2AS or F3HP, cool as they are!

Hmm, FE, FM2n, FM3a, FG, etc.... Seems like you pretty much can't go wrong.

Sep 26, 2013 at 09:10 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would you get?

FM2 or FE2.

Or if you want a body that is very versatile (ie can also AF with your G lenses), then you can go for a F100.

Sep 26, 2013 at 09:10 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would you get?

Well I'm a little biased toward the F3 simply because it was the first serious Nikon I ever owned, bought it brand new in 1984. But I've always wanted the FM3A since it first came out. So either one of these would be my vote.

Sep 26, 2013 at 09:39 PM
bellyface
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would you get?

FE2 hands down. But, if you are ever caught powerless, the FM2 hands down... no batteries required to shoot. FE2 has 1 mechanical speed, 1/250 ... that would be your shutter speed if your batteries die.

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would you get?

+1 on the FE2. I bought one in the mid-1980s and it is still around somewhere. Battery life is years, so don't worry about that.

EBH

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mfletch
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would you get?

You're gonna get a lot of votes for the FE2. I've had 2 of them, I no longer have one, but it's easily the more user friendly and best bang for the buck. You can't go wrong with it, ease of use with aperture priority shooting makes it a blast to shoot.

The FM2 (mine is an "n" model) is the only MF body I've kept, just because of the full mech function. With this body your are basically in "M" mode all the time, but in the event of no battery or dead battery, you have full function and shutter speeds all the way to 1/4000sec but no light meter.

The FE2 gives you Aperture priority mode, but as above only one mechanical speed sans battery. BTW, a battery lasts ages in these cameras.

Best of both worlds is the FM3a. Priority modes, manual modes, full mech function with no battery. Nice little film canister window. If I shot enough film, I would have this body. The only downside, is they can still be pricey. The FM2 and FE2 will fetch $150-250 based on condition. You could get one of each and a large supply of film for what you will pay for a nice FM3a

Sep 27, 2013 at 01:28 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would you get?

I grabbed a FE2 last year too when I started on film. stumbled upon a vintage store with an excellent condition piece at a great price
Had wanted the FM2 but boy, prices have really gone up over the past few years
Echoing mfletch's sentiments, the FM3A was way over my budget, and the chrome version seemed more prevalent
Wanted something to throw into my slingbag when commuting to work or simple traveling
Was afraid I might baby it too much considering the price

Sep 27, 2013 at 03:06 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would you get?

F4 all the way. The external grip is keyed to the body so it cannot move. It's the only grip I trust on a tripod.

Sep 27, 2013 at 04:40 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would you get?

F100, I love how it handles and feels...

Sep 27, 2013 at 04:42 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would you get?

F3HP, best viewfinder ever.

Sep 27, 2013 at 04:50 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would you get?

If you will only buy 1 film body, then buy the best. It will still serve 100 years if taken care off. If you don't want it anymore, you sell it for the same price you bought it.
I got my FM3a together with an 85 1.8D (both heavilly and professionally used) for 350 euro (450$), after some cleaning both look amazing! If you find a fully functioning dirty camera at a good price, know that some ethanol can do miracles! I also got a FE, 50 1.4 AI and some other lenses and film bodies for under 150$, again, after some cleaning they looked all brand new.

If you look around on the interwebs, you will certainly find a fairly cheap FM3a.

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:50 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would you get?

FM3A on GetDPI for $500. Looks just beautiful. Had I not just gotten an F6, I'd've bought the FM3a. BTW, F6 is remarkable - it's ergonomics are for my small hands just unbelievably good. It feels much lighter and smaller than its reported figures. FWIW, last time I checked KEH had a couple for sale in EX condition or so. KEH also buys them up in that condition for $290, so that will give you an idea of the mark up (or down) of used FM3a's.

Sep 27, 2013 at 01:02 PM
the solitaire
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would you get?

If you want a small camera that can also autofocus an N90 or F4 (without the extra shutter release button) would be an option.
Without AF but even smaller, canīt beat the FE2. Personally I use an FM2 and never regretted not getting the FE2 instead but if you have the choice, why not pick something convenient.

Sep 27, 2013 at 01:54 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would you get?

+1 on the F4 w/o the extra shutter release button. Beautiful.

Sep 27, 2013 at 02:11 PM
stedge
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · If you were going to buy a Nikon film body, what would you get?

I'm thinking FM3a.

That one on getDPI looks great, but it is in Canada and PayPal only. I don't do paypal.

Found this one... Similar price. No box, but ow looks perhaps in even better shape. And returnable if any issues.

What say you?

P.S. And yeah, why didn't I buy that one here on the forum for 400 when I had the chance? Should have, but taking my time and whoosh, off it went.

Sep 27, 2013 at 03:00 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password