Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · All inquiries, no weddings

ghdarnell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · All inquiries, no weddings

This year we will have shot 8 weddings. It's our second year. Our first year we shot 3 weddings. I am happy because we clearly saw an increase in bookings.

In our first and second year we have booked 100% of the meetings we had, and got meetings out of about 75% of our inquiries.

This year, we have gotten about 20 inquiries but no meetings, rarely even a response back. Just curious as to why you think this is? I understand that a certain percentage of people are just price shoppers, but right now it's looking like 100% of them are not returning emails.

I know we are still very very new at this, and have much to learn. On a side note, any recommendations you can think of for blogs, websites, or other resources to help teach. I want this business to strive and am willing to do whatever it takes to learn anything I can.

If you want any additional information I would be happy to provide it.

Thanks!

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · All inquiries, no weddings

http://creativelive.com

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:27 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · All inquiries, no weddings

Did you change anything? Pricing/site/etc?

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:33 PM
ghdarnell
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · All inquiries, no weddings

SloPhoto wrote:
Did you change anything? Pricing/site/etc?

Nothing. We changed our pricing from starting at $950 for our first year to $1,900 this year. But those prices have been in place since January of this year. And I understand those are extremely low. I just don't want this post to turn into a debate about prices unless it directly relates to the question.

We did recently change the format for which we reply to an inquiry. Before we used to type something up off hand for each person. Now we have a generic answer. Our first reply emails don't include our packages, so if people do respond it's generally to get those, and then they stop responding.

This is our generic response message and it is tweaked for each individual if necessary:

Thank you for your interest in Right Start Photography. Let me start by saying congratulations on your engagement, and we hope that we can help you capture amazing wedding memories. Secondly, we are available next year on May 26th, 2014 and would be happy to reserve it if you are interested in moving forward. We at Right Start Photography are very passionate about photography and take the utmost care when taking pictures of your big day. Our style of photography is artistic photo journalism, and we strive to do more than just pose you. We also endeavor to capture the special moments and emotions experienced by everyone on your wedding. If you would like to hear more about us and how we can accommodate you for your wedding let us know and we would be happy to help.

Our packages start at $1900 and include features like DVD of digital images, and an Lay Flat Album. We have customizable options and can certainly provide you with a wealth of choices for your wedding. 

If you desire I can send you a full list of our package details, or we could conference in person or by phone.

As always, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask. 

Thank you again, and sincerely.

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:42 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · All inquiries, no weddings

Your response is too passive. Engage the client. Ask questions. Get them talking. Make it personal.

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:47 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · All inquiries, no weddings

ghdarnell wrote:
Nothing. We changed our pricing from starting at $950 for our first year to $1,900 this year. But those prices have been in place since January of this year. And I understand those are extremely low. I just don't want this post to turn into a debate about prices unless it directly relates to the question.

We did recently change the format for which we reply to an inquiry. Before we used to type something up off hand for each person. Now we have a generic answer. Our first reply emails don't include our packages, so if people do respond it's
...Show more

Why should they hire you?

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:48 PM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · All inquiries, no weddings

Sorry to hear that Grace/Matt. I wouldn't blame it on your photographic ability, because from what I see on the website your work is solid for only shooting 11 weddings. So I would take a deep dive into branding/logo/website/etc.

Brand: Looks like you're a husband-and-wife team? We are too, and it's the #1 thing we harp on in our 'About Us' and email responses. I think you need to do a better job convincing couples of the value behind husband-and-wife. I would totally redo your current generic email response. You refer to your company in the third person. rather than a husband-and-wife duo. Why not say stuff like: 'My husband and I would love to meet you!' Also keep in mind that it's not too late to rename your business if you're so inclined.

Logo: Look for a true graphic professional to create a unique logo, alternatively inexpensive place to start for logo is 99Designs. Paying a few hundred bucks for a legit logo will pay off quickly.

Website: I think you're currently using a flash site, which is pretty dated and won't run properly on many devices. Almost half of our leads come from mobile devices, so you may be missing out big right there. Flash sites also make having an active blog difficult (i.e. I see you only have a Galleries section, and not a blog). I'd say it's better to launch a blog early on rather than play catch-up down the road. For these reasons I highly recommend switching to Wordpress. It may take you a while to make the transition, but I promise you won't have any regrets.

Another random thought: if your response rate is that low then maybe the emails aren't even making it through? Is there any chance that inboxes are seeing them as spam? I would follow up on those unanswered leads to see if they even received the email.

Finally, IMHO I would probably change the first image in your 'Weddings' gallery (adjusting cufflinks) because I believe you have stronger images.

That's just a start. I'm sure you follow a lot of FMer's websites, which will give you plenty of examples as to what 'works.'

Sep 26, 2013 at 03:01 PM
JR Magat
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · All inquiries, no weddings

After reading your response, IMO your response sounds very "generic" like you just copy & paste the same reply and just change the names and dates.

One thing is that I try to make it clear before they contact me about where my rates start, so bringing up the rates shouldn't be needed. You want to make sure they know your starting rates before contacting you to help weed out the "bargain hunters"

Also, they should know your style from the work you present in your portfolio or blog, so no need to mention that.

In emails, usually they ask me for my wedding rates/packages and I will email them that, say I'd love to meet them in person (or phone/skype) to chat & hear more about their wedding plans, etc. I try to concentrate on THEM, assuming they know enough about me, my photography & my rates at the point when they inquire.

Another thing I am trying to do more often, is it CALL them. I have them list their phone number so no harm in calling and introducing myself.

Sep 26, 2013 at 03:07 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · All inquiries, no weddings

JR Magat wrote:
After reading your response, IMO your response sounds very "generic" like you just copy & paste the same reply and just change the names and dates.

I'm not sure if this is the reason for why you aren't getting responses, but I agree that the response is clearly a copy and paste. It's also too lengthy. I think that most people are looking for a simple response via email and you can tell them more about your style and approach in the meeting.

I have three responses depending on the email.

1. If they are inquiring about the date respond with three sentences. I say, "Thanks for contacting me! I am available for your date on xxx. Would you like to set up a meeting to discuss what I offer in more detail?" That reply gets me a meeting most of the time.

2. If they are inquiring for some pricing I go a little further and give some basic pricing. That response has a pretty good return as well.

3. The third response is if they are asking for my pricing sheets. That email is still brief, but I have a PDF of my pricing attached. That response doesn't get me a meeting as often because I've already laid everything out on the table. Those people are usually shopping only on price and they will usually be able to find a better price somewhere else.

I'm not sure if that helps, but I personally try to stay brief and go right for the meeting. I also try and respond ASAP. That has proven really helpful in getting a follow up. Something I'll respond within a minute of receiving the email if I'm able to.

One question, where are the leads coming from? That can make a difference.

Sep 26, 2013 at 03:23 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · All inquiries, no weddings

Bartlett Pair wrote:
Sorry to hear that Grace/Matt. I wouldn't blame it on your photographic ability, because from what I see on the website your work is solid for only shooting 11 weddings. So I would take a deep dive into branding/logo/website/etc.

Brand: Looks like you're a husband-and-wife team? We are too, and it's the #1 thing we harp on in our 'About Us' and email responses. I think you need to do a better job convincing couples of the value behind husband-and-wife. I would totally redo your current generic email response. You refer to your company in the third person. rather
...Show more

There is some really great advice in here!

Sep 26, 2013 at 03:24 PM
ghdarnell
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · All inquiries, no weddings

Bartlett Pair wrote:

Brand: Looks like you're a husband-and-wife team? We are too, and it's the #1 thing we harp on in our 'About Us' and email responses. I think you need to do a better job convincing couples of the value behind husband-and-wife. I would totally redo your current generic email response. You refer to your company in the third person. rather
...Show more

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Husband and Wife Team- This is a weird spot for us. We are not yet married. (That will come October of 2015). So I feel like it sounds unprofessional to say "My fiancé and I" or even worse "My boyfriend and I". Thoughts?

Logo: This is a huge point with us your absolutely right! We are currently looking for a new logo but so far we can't come to an agreement about anything. I am hoping within a week we can have something we can stick with.

Website: Yes, our website is a flash site, but we also have a matching HTML site if you try to access us through an unsupported device. Try to access the site through a phone and let me know what you think?

The blog issue is a whole other story... We used to have a blog and I hated it. I have spent probably 3 months attempting to learn about WordPress and all that goes with it. I even posted a few weeks back about hiring someone to just do it for us. Our previous blog was WordPress as well, but the one hosted online and not available to customize. I have gotten as far as buying a domain through hostgator and downloading WordPress onto my Control Panel, but am a bit stuck from there. The plan right now is to wait until October 1st (we pay ourselves monthly) and purchase ProPhoto. I am not entirely sure I will be able to figure out how to run that either though haha.

Spam Emails: That's a great thought, I will have to check it out!

Weddings Gallery: Your absolutely right. Will do that now!

Thank you so so much!

Sep 26, 2013 at 03:26 PM
ghdarnell
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · All inquiries, no weddings

morby wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the reason for why you aren't getting responses, but I agree that the response is clearly a copy and paste. It's also too lengthy. I think that most people are looking for a simple response via email and you can tell them more about your style and approach in the meeting.

I have three responses depending on the email.

1. If they are inquiring about the date respond with three sentences. I say, "Thanks for contacting me! I am available for your date on xxx. Would you like to set up a meeting to discuss
...Show more

Well some come from our fabulous "boss" and fellow photographer Mike Morby. Maybe you have heard of him?

Just kidding. Most are coming from The Knot. We started an account with them September 1st and have gotten about 18 inquires, WAY higher than normal, but no bookings. Weird.

I totally agree 100% about the generic email. I mostly wrote that because I was in California (long story for those that don't know) and Matt had to take over responding to everyone.

Now that I am back I want to totally revamp and come up with something much warmer.

Sep 26, 2013 at 03:29 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · All inquiries, no weddings

ghdarnell wrote:
Well some come from our fabulous "boss" and fellow photographer Mike Morby. Maybe you have heard of him?

Just kidding. Most are coming from The Knot. We started an account with them September 1st and have gotten about 18 inquires, WAY higher than normal, but no bookings. Weird.

I totally agree 100% about the generic email. I mostly wrote that because I was in California (long story for those that don't know) and Matt had to take over responding to everyone.

Now that I am back I want to totally revamp and come up with something much warmer.

So Matt is dry and cold? Haha! I was on the Knot for 6 months and got a ton of inquiries, but about a 10% response rate. Of that 10% I got only a few meetings. Thankfully 5 booked, but the inquiries weren't great leads.

Sep 26, 2013 at 03:47 PM
ghdarnell
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · All inquiries, no weddings

morby wrote:
So Matt is dry and cold?

Have you met the man? lol

Sep 26, 2013 at 03:50 PM
Tim Wild
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · All inquiries, no weddings

Use a contact form, have them tell you ceremony and reception venues, and anything else you might want to know. Your response should mention the venues, perhaps that you've photographed there before, that you know it well, that you know some good photo locations in the area. Engage with the customers. Don't be generic.

Sep 26, 2013 at 04:31 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · All inquiries, no weddings

You need to make booking you as easy as possible. By the time they email they should know quite a bit about you and also about your brand.

Only this year did we figure that out/do something about it. We send our inquires a pdf "client guide" which basically has all the info they will need. Our website also (hopefully who really knows for sure) does a good job culling the people we do and do not want to shoot and providing necessary info about our brand.

Work on making as easy as possible for people.

Sep 26, 2013 at 09:53 PM
ghdarnell
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · All inquiries, no weddings

hardlyboring wrote:
You need to make booking you as easy as possible. By the time they email they should know quite a bit about you and also about your brand.

Only this year did we figure that out/do something about it. We send our inquires a pdf "client guide" which basically has all the info they will need. Our website also (hopefully who really knows for sure) does a good job culling the people we do and do not want to shoot and providing necessary info about our brand.

Your section for "The Experience" is amazing! What a great tool to help clients.

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:04 PM
ghdarnell
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · All inquiries, no weddings

hardlyboring wrote:

I will say though that I can't see any of the bottom information under "The Investment" because of the rows of square photos blocking the way

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:06 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · All inquiries, no weddings

hardlyboring wrote:

I have to say Doug that you have this part down pat. I love your "experience" section on your site. It's very open and inviting. After reading it, I come away with an immediate affinity for you. Great job!

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:29 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · All inquiries, no weddings

jcolman wrote:
I have to say Doug that you have this part down pat. I love your "experience" section on your site. It's very open and inviting. After reading it, I come away with an immediate affinity for you. Great job!

Thank you!
We like it to but it needs to be updated with new pictures and a better couple... The couple we used were a little bit to traditional for us. Hopefully once we move we can pick a more suitable couple and do the same type of thing. I also want to hire someone to shoot it for us instead of just trying to do it all on our own / fake it half the time.

Also ours is only OK. I have seen other examples (not exactly the same but similar type stuff) with lots of other photographers. It just helps get a lot of questions out of the way. Either someone likes what you do or they do not. Once our couples inquire I really hope they have a good idea about the process and how they are going to be spending their money.

I really think you can add value and even up the price just by telling someone why they should buy something in a convincing way.
I read an article recently about how taking amazing photos is not going to guarantee weddings. You have to have a solid brand and have mad business skills to go along with the photos. TRR is the best example. His photos are great but his business skills are sharper than a Samurai sword.

Our photos are decent enough. I work almost twice as hard at business stuff than I do at photography stuff because in the end the business stuff is where it is at.

Here is the article:
http://www.themoderntog.com/make-money-doing-photography?fb_action_ids=10151870300289614&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:37 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.