Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

Greggf
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

Hello all! I recently sold on Ebay, what looked like an excellent condition Contax 50 1.4 MMJ lens, serial 808xxxx. used the lens for quite a while on my 1D4, with nothing but excellent results! Especially with such a late serial number(one of the latest I've ever seen)...
So the buyer tells me the lens isn't that great, and has haze inside He sends me pictures to confirm, but I am still wary...The lens took flawless photos! I mean wide open it was a little less contrasty(duh!), but by f2 and smaller, was tack sharp and near perfect!
Please help, as I'm pretty reluctant to give in, since my experience was so good! Attached are his photos of what the "haze" looks like...and I'm still reluctant...
And, he also tells me that there is a scratch on the front element, with pictures, to prove...but when I took the pics to sell it, I immediately put it into it's box. I NEVER saw a scratch while I used the lens, or while getting ready to sell it, and am curious as to how it got there. The scratch is inside of the "zeiss" name..but the angle of my pic doesn't really show it, I think. But I swear i would've seen it while cleaning the lens before selling??!!
Help
Gregg

supposed haze?

my pic of the lens for sale, but I can't see where the scratch might be because of the angle??

Sep 26, 2013 at 04:25 AM
brockwhittaker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

Hey, did he include a picture of the lens with the SN? Maybe he's trying to con you by giving you a bad lens, and getting the money back.

I feel like you definitely would have known if there was that much haze in the lens. That's too much not to notice.

Make sure also that the SN on the front and back match, because you can take off the front of the lens, and I suppose he could have replaced it.. who knows.

Good luck.

Sep 26, 2013 at 04:48 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

Some feedback: sometimes a scratch is only visible under certain angles and a lens may have some haze that you'll never notice until you shine a bright flashlight through it. Not saying you were careless, but I've been sold three lenses, one with small pits in the front lens, one with small scratches in the coating, and one with a bit of light haze that I didn't know was there until I sold the lens to someone else and he noticed it (I took that one back). In all cases the owner failed to notice or withheld the information. No complaints on my part about the performance of any of the lenses though.

I think your buyer may just have unreasonable expectations of the lens's performance wide open and was looking for flaws to explain his disappointment. I don't have experience selling things on ebay though, so I guess it's always possible that you're dealing with a dishonest person.

By the way, I wouldn't expect the haze seen on the picture to influence sharpness at all, just lower the contrast a bit perhaps in very bright light. Also, Contax lenses don't have a serial number on the back -- at least I don't see one on my 50/1.4 MMJ or any of my other Contax lenses. Maybe it's different with Zeiss Z*.

Sep 26, 2013 at 05:23 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

Shining a light through a lens can make clean lenses look very dirty, something you should do before selling a lens, and document every angle and blemish so you have evidence to prove your lenses condition, and if the returned lens is in fact yours.

Sep 26, 2013 at 06:41 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

I think the buyer is being too nitpicky. Any lens when you shine a specular light source through it will show many imperfections. I'm not even sure what you see in the photos is haze, it could be just reflections from the coatings of other elements. Haze is very difficult to photograph.

Sep 26, 2013 at 08:56 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

Thank you everyone for your input!! Very much appreciated!!
After reading your replies, I thinking going to have to tell the seller, that they are being too overly picky. Like Edward said, any lens could look horrible in the right light!!

This lens was as close to a 10 as could be, especially being such a late model, too. Anyone know how I can find out how old it is??
Thanks again,
Gregg

Sep 26, 2013 at 01:55 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

I doubt that will go over well.

I think I will also have to give a dissenting opinion: unless the flaw was described, it is just to complain about it. I have received many lenses with undescribed flaws, and various degrees of seriousness, and it never fails to disappoint and frustrate.

In your situation, I would try to smooth-talk the buyer, but also offer the chance to send it back for a full refund, or if you are willing, offer an appropriate discount. A lens *with* those flaws is simply not worth the same as a lens *without* the flaws, even if it makes photos which are as good.

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:14 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

I tend to agree with Carsten. Judging condition of lenses is subjective in many cases and not worth fighting over. I've gone the route of adjusting the price of things I've sold in the past, but I tend to think offering a full refund on return is the most practical solution. The lens can be resold and the 'flaws' can be pointed out to the next buyer in advance, so the issue isn't repeated.

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:32 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

While I agree with the above, this is also a very known trick by buyers to lower the price after receiving the goods. IMO, it is better to return the lens and check it for defects, rather than giving a discount that might be undeserved.

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:44 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

I agree with Carsten.

Having done a lot of buy and selling of used lenses on eBay, I've run into several situations similar in nature.

1) I bought a Leica R 100/4 macro lens (helicoid, not bellows) and used it for a while with good results. I decided I liked my Canon 100 L better for my purposes. A quick inspection prior to listing showed no obvious problems with lens surfaces or interior (only looked though with reading glasses). Buyer was unhappy and sent me photos with light shined through showing slight haze, plus a couple pin-point marks on the front lens. Photos showed serial number and other identifying marks. Verdict: I gave him $100 off as he asked. So, his vigilance paid off -- got he lens for around $200!

2) I also have a Contax Zeiss 50/1.4 like yours. It has always taken amazing pictures for me -- terrific in panoramas, etc. Following the above incident, and prior to putting it up for sale, I decided to do a thorough inspection of the lens. I know it had a stiff focusing area at around 1m, but was unprepared for multiple small scratches similar to the one you showed. Mine were more obvious if you were really looking closely at the lens. I took a further step and gave it a run-through of several scenes shot at all apertures. Verdict: The images were amazingly sharp and colorful! I decided to keep the lens rather than try to get maybe $150 for it.

Both these lenses were bought by me on eBay, and I was a happy buyer/owner while they were mine.

My opinion is to accept the buyer's concerns as genuine and issue a partial refund after reaching an agreement, or request the lens be returned for full refund including return shipping cost.

I agree that these are mostly cosmetic issues, but I've been on the other end. As Carsten says, it is disappointing to find issues with a newly bought lens and lowers confidence in the overall condition. I get over it and move on, but some are more "picky", as they have a right to be in the used market.

Sorry for your hassle.

Edited on Sep 26, 2013 at 02:52 PM · View previous versions

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jabberwockt
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

Just offer to take it back as a return. When this happens, both parties lose money in shipping. Maybe you failed to miss it, maybe they are too picky, at the end of the day, you both are a little poorer. Whatever you do though, don't agree to a partial refund.

What is the white, computer generated X under the S in zeiss?

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:49 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

You have to offer return or discount with no choice from Ebay. It is really a buyer's Ebay now. Buyer can return even just change mind per Ebay's policy.

On the other hand, the first foto looks like slightly haze and scratch is real but only If it was taken on your lens. I agree with Andy and Carsten, take it back. The tricky part is if the lens's scratch is by him or you? But This is the risk involve with any online Buy/sell.

Sep 26, 2013 at 03:13 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

I should note that I am not against buying lenses with scratches and haze, I just don't want to find it on a lens whose description doesn't mention it. I pay good money for clean glass, and I want something for that.

Sep 26, 2013 at 04:33 PM
Greggf
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

Thank you everyone for the great advice. Just for the record...I was by no means trying to pull one over on the guy, by not disclosing the above mentioned haze and scratch. When I bought the lens, I was shocked at how clean it was, was an older Zeiss. (Still wish I could find out how old?)
I was more into how nice the glass was for actually taking pics!!! And that it did really well...
The only reason I sold it was I got a fantastic deal on a ZE 50 Planar that I couldn't pass up...and while they are really close, design wide, I prefer the Planar and the reportage just a bit more!!
Anyways, I'm going to tell the guy he should actually go out and take photos with it, then let me know if he doesn't like it!!! If not, I'll offer a full return...
Thanks again everyone for your invaluable input!!
Gregg

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

My lens is bit "hazy" on back element too (well, when I use LED flashlight), looks about same.

Apart from wide-open, which isnt strongest for this lens, its fine. Scratches on front part of lens are usually no issue, back would be much worse.

Zeiss still service these.. (tho I still didnt push myself to actually send it for cleaning, maybe I will simply sell it ).

Not sure its true haze, can you show some pics taken with it?

Sep 27, 2013 at 01:09 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

I usually describe all that as "minor dust/blemishes that dont affect image quality" and add a couple of see-through photos of the glass to show that you cant really see anything in normal viewing.

however, if I have the slightest suspicion it might be fungus I make sure to say it because fungus will only get worse.

Sep 27, 2013 at 02:03 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

I had a case where a "gentleman" sold me 2 GX680 lenses advertising them to be in "beautiful condition" here in Japan. One was spot on but 2nd had a massive scratch as well as fungal infestation.
Needless to say I wanted to return the faulty lens, but ended up returning both as grey matter contents of his brain seemed to undergo fermenting process.
He tried to threaten me to compensate listing fees and etc.

I buy some junked lenses on occasion, but I really appreciate items being listed properly.

Sep 27, 2013 at 02:13 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

Well I contacted buyer, and told him he should really go and shoot with it first, and if he doesn't seem convinced, I'll refund the full amount once I receive it back. He send back an email saying he's just trying to find a "I am just looking for a flawless contax 50MM lens for my brother"... And to which I replied...good luck with that!! "You're just a tad too uncompromising"...
Then I said let your brother decide...
Haven't heard back yet, but, I think he's sending it back!!
@Mescalamba...if you look at the Zeiss thread under my name, you'll see many photos taken with this lens on my 1D4...
Gregg

Sep 27, 2013 at 02:33 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

I know you post there. Im just not very good in finding it..

Flawless 50/1.4, well that isnt exactly cheap. But eBay has plenty of those. Kinda regret I didnt buy it there, as my copy was similar price, but much worse quality. :/

Maybe next time..

Sep 27, 2013 at 02:55 AM
Greggf
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Haze in a Contax lens??!! Help...

I know you post there. Im just not very good in finding it..
try looking at pages 169,170,171 on the Zeiss thread for some good examples!
Gregg

Sep 27, 2013 at 03:30 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password