Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Eiffel Lake Wenkchemna Pass near Moraine Lake

Scott Stoness
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Eiffel Lake Wenkchemna Pass near Moraine Lake

Last friday I hiked with a group of friends up to Wenkchemna Pass. Wenkchemna Pass is up the Larch Trail from Moraine Lake. It is about 6.5 km to the Eiffel Lake (450m) and 2.5 km to the Pass (another 250m).

The larch were almost at their peak. Next weekend will be peak.

The day was spectacular. I was trying out my EOS-M with 11-22, 18-55 and 22m as a hiking camera. I brought my tripod and the combination was very light.

I am still undecided on the EOS-M. It is way lighter and you can easily hang it around your neck and so you take more pictures.

But the negatives are:
1) The amount of sharpening you can do and the resolution is less than the 5diii
2) The AEB bracketing resets when ever the power goes off
3) The remote shutter only works with infared so you have to point it in front of the camera on 2 second release
4) The battery does not last as long because you are using liveview and less inclined to turn off because the AEB times out and goes off.

Here are my best from the day.

1-4 of 4

Comments and feedback is appreciated. Scott

1 of 4 - Looking East toward Moraine Lake [on tripod]

Canon EOS M    EF-M11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens    20mm    f/11.0    1/160s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

2 of 4 - Looking East toward Moraine Lake [on tripod]

Canon EOS M    EF-M11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens    14mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

3 of 4 [handheld]

Canon EOS M    EF-M18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens    23mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

4 of 4 Wenkchemna Pass is in the Middle [handheld]

Canon EOS M    EF-M11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens    14mm    f/8.0    1/2000s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Edited on Sep 26, 2013 at 02:10 PM · View previous versions

Sep 26, 2013 at 04:10 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Eiffel Lake Wenkchemna Pass near Moraine Lake

Awesome images. The first is by far my favorite. Looks like the eosm did all right. I haven't seen many images this side of moraine. Pretty cool

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:06 PM
B Landau
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Eiffel Lake Wenkchemna Pass near Moraine Lake

Excellent images Scott. I like #4 the best. I had planned to be up there this past weekend, but decided to cancel when the weather took a turn for the worse. Friday's weather sure looked awesome!

Sep 26, 2013 at 04:04 PM
dalongfellow
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Eiffel Lake Wenkchemna Pass near Moraine Lake

A lot to like in all of these, Scott. Makes me really want to get back to that area for a long hike. Well done.

Dave

Sep 26, 2013 at 04:29 PM
nwadventurer7
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Eiffel Lake Wenkchemna Pass near Moraine Lake

stunning weather and country ...i cant believe i didnt get up to the rockies this year...scott following your adventuers are brutal reminders of why i am less enthusiastic about backpacking at age 67..lol nice work. bill

Sep 26, 2013 at 05:46 PM
321photos
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Eiffel Lake Wenkchemna Pass near Moraine Lake

Beautiful shots and spot for a hike!

Cheers, Mark.

Sep 26, 2013 at 06:04 PM
B Landau
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Eiffel Lake Wenkchemna Pass near Moraine Lake

Excellent images Scott. I like #4 the best. I had planned to be up there this past weekend, but decided to cancel when the weather took a turn for the worse. Friday's weather sure looked awesome!

Sep 26, 2013 at 06:19 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Eiffel Lake Wenkchemna Pass near Moraine Lake

Super shots Scott. Crisp and clear .... great job.
David

Sep 26, 2013 at 07:31 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Eiffel Lake Wenkchemna Pass near Moraine Lake

Very nice.
#4 draws my eye for the reflection, which is I suspect why you did an excellent hand held grab shot. Now you can ditch the tripod?

Sep 26, 2013 at 07:32 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Eiffel Lake Wenkchemna Pass near Moraine Lake

excellent set Scott.. enjoyed them all

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Eiffel Lake Wenkchemna Pass near Moraine Lake

killersnowman: Wenkchemna is about 10km (6 miles) and 700meters (2200') elevation up from Moraine Lake, so me and my blisters are not surprised that you have not seen many pictures from this direction. The EOS-M is hard to get used after using the 5dii and 5diii for landscape continuously but I learned my lesson hiking 50km in the summer with a heavy pack and all my lens - it is more than adequate. Glad you like 1. It was a great day. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

B Landau: Friday was perfect. I always hike better in cool weather and it was about 15 at maximum and no wind until the pass and the snow on the pass. Glad you like 4. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

dalongfellow: It is a fantastic area. Glad you like the images. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

nwadventurer7: Bill - its hard to imagine that you are less enthusiastic given your recent adventures. Glad you like the work. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Eiffel Lake Wenkchemna Pass near Moraine Lake

David Leask: I am glad you like the eos-m output. Its hard to get used to processing landscapse images from a crop camera but my feet thank me for it. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

dgdg: Well I would have used the tripod but there was a "4 person in a tight group" rule with a $25,000 potential fine available that kept me from straggling. As is I took 3 in a bracket at iso 400 in a hurry to compensate and create optionality. However, given that if I had my 5diii it would likely have stayed in the packsack, it was a great grab shot (processed with 3 shots and blended with original best exposure and aligned and fussed with). But I am convinced that for mid day shots not tripod and EOS-M is adequate (but barely). Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

kmunroe: Glad you enjoyed them all. It was a great day. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Edited on Sep 27, 2013 at 05:42 AM · View previous versions

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Jfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Eiffel Lake Wenkchemna Pass near Moraine Lake

Looks like beautiful, rugged country.
Jon

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:33 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Eiffel Lake Wenkchemna Pass near Moraine Lake

Scott, I like the composition of no. 2, but I am finding the harsh lighting you had was not your friend. Sometimes a beautiful day for hiking does not make a beautiful day for photos. I think you made the best of what the lighting brought you.

Sep 27, 2013 at 02:26 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Eiffel Lake Wenkchemna Pass near Moraine Lake

Stunning location. Nice to see those mountains from a very different perspective. Looks like a must do hike. Thanks for posting.

Sep 27, 2013 at 04:54 AM
dwa652
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Eiffel Lake Wenkchemna Pass near Moraine Lake

Great views in pics 1 and 2. I like those best. I guess that is the direction you hiked from?

Anyway, great shots again!
Don

Sep 27, 2013 at 06:23 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Eiffel Lake Wenkchemna Pass near Moraine Lake

Jfarmer: It is a very pretty place.. Glad you like the beauty. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

chez: This spot requires 4 hikers in a tight group (to avoid grizzlies) and with differences in hiking ability and inclination to take pictures and 10km- that makes it difficult to get good light. So I don't think I will be able to do better - unfortunately. But I agree with you - late or early light would have been better. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Sneakyracer: The location is spectacular. Beyond the pass, it comes down into a (this is the continental divide between Alberta and BC) valley that leads (with difficulty) to Lake Ohara area. Glad you like the view. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

dwa652: If you look in the far middle left of these pictures you will see the tower of Babel. Moraine Lake Rock pile was an rock slide off the tower of Babel - the slide created a dam that created the view. So yes the end of 1,2 is where the hike started from. Glad you like the views. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Sep 27, 2013 at 01:03 PM
harland
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Eiffel Lake Wenkchemna Pass near Moraine Lake

Super shots, Scott. 700m, that sounds easy .
Wish I was back up there
Darryl

Sep 28, 2013 at 07:28 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Eiffel Lake Wenkchemna Pass near Moraine Lake

Harland: 700m always sounds easy until you convert it to feet It was a great hike but it would have been better if you were hiking it too. Hiking with non serious photographers does not leave much time for photography. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Sep 29, 2013 at 04:02 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password