New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Glass beads jewellery, photo advise needed

G. Beaulieu

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Glass beads jewellery, photo advise needed

I am a glass bead maker and I need to improve my work/jewellery photos. I own NikonD600 with 28-300 lense. I would like to invest in a prime lense to improve my photos and I would like to welcome your suggestions.
I like to take photos outdoors, in the shade, I use a tripod and the camera set on timer. I would like that my photos be very much sharper. I love my 28-300 but after many trials I do not think that it is the lense for my jewellery photos.
Any advise would be appreciated. (My first post here, I hope I am doing it right.)

Here is the link to an example:

http://500px.com/photo/47419022

Sep 25, 2013 at 03:06 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Glass beads jewellery, photo advise needed

Just a few suggestions, first simplify the background. Including the pine needles and greenery competes with the jewelry so I would use a lighter color for the backround. The jewelry itself is underexposed and doesn't reveal the patterns and colors properly. The reflections of other objects such as the sky, trees and building is distracting. A tripod is going to be mandatory to enable you to get a longer exposure and you can use a the self timer function to minimize the risk of movement when you depress the shutter.

I don't think the lens is the main problem. I would try doing a google search "product photography" or "photographing jewelry". A light tent would be a very good idea to improve the overall lighting of your photography, If you do a google search for how to build a light tent, you will find several ideas on how to construct the light box, which would dramatically improve the image. You do not have to invest in lighting just yet but I would suggest using a couple of desk lamps and bounce the light off of white foamcoare or the inside of a makeshift lightbox. You could even just purchase large sheets of white foamcoare board at an Office Supply place and tape them together to form a 3 sided box with a top, use fabric for the background and point the desk lights off of the foam core, you will have to move them around to find the best angle of light. A good book to get when learning to light objects of all kinds is "Light, Science and Magic" by Fil Hunter.

I am sure other people will suggest other / alternate ideas which would help you.

Edited on Sep 25, 2013 at 09:19 PM · View previous versions

Sep 25, 2013 at 05:53 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Glass beads jewellery, photo advise needed

Barbara pretty much covered the major points.

+1 @ lighting/composition/background will make a difference that getting a new lens won't. A different lens might have some better qualities to it, but those aren't the things that are really impeding your image ... the lighting/composition/background choices can do more for you than a new lens will for now.

If you do look to get a new lens, you can find some really great lenses that are older manual focus macro prime lenses. For product photography, autofocus isn't a major consideration, so no need to spend a ton of money on new glass when so much excellent older glass is still available.

Sep 25, 2013 at 07:57 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Glass beads jewellery, photo advise needed

The best investment you could make is to buy a light tent which you can find for $50.-$100.00. Combine that with a couple of goose neck style desk lamps and you have a starting set up.

Sep 26, 2013 at 08:09 AM
G. Beaulieu

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Glass beads jewellery, photo advise needed

Thank you all for your input. I realy appreciate it.

Sep 26, 2013 at 08:18 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.