1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Info for people considering brands

Geoff CB
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Info for people considering brands

Why I shoot Nikon:

I'm used to the body layout. Its comfortable and familiar. If I shot Canon for my first DSLR I would be shooting Canon right now. All other specs are so comparable that is doesn't matter.

One thing I really want from Nikon that Canon has: f1.2 AF Prime lenses

Sep 28, 2013 at 06:44 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Info for people considering brands

I wonder what the T-stop on those f1.2 L lenses is and what the T-stop on Nikons f1.4 lenses is.

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Info for people considering brands

Yeah a thread like this easily degenerates. Shame really as I have an actual technical reason for choosing Nikon over Canon. Metering. Specifically spot metering which I use a lot in the theater. Canon cameras only spot meter in the center which means I would need to focus, expose and recompose. With Nikons, the spot being metered is where the AF point is set. No need to recompose. Very handy.

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:22 PM
joshim
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Info for people considering brands

TrenchMonkey,

I really wish I could afford a top of the line Nikon body with a nice grip, but I can't... And no, I didn't buy my 5D Mark III for retail, I got it for dirt cheap (got lucky). I actually miss Nikon a LOT, so don't take it as an attack on it, please

Neddle,

I was actually REALLY frustrated with Canon's metering today during a wedding shoot. And not just spot metering. It's like guessing every time the light changes. I'm having switcher's remorse, but I'll suck it up... lol

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Info for people considering brands

Alan321Neither brand is good at admitting to stuff-ups in design or construction or marketing - even when it is painfully obvious and causing bad press.

Both Japanese companies so 'face' is very important. This is not going to change unless a country legislates for it ! Example : Motor industry and safety issues.

Alan321Neither brand will update past models with firmware changes that could easily be made.
Profits. Why update an older model when you can sell them a new model ?

Alan321Neither brand does a lot to give us what we want when we want it. When was the last time they asked you ? They've never asked me what features I need or want.
Their designers know best Though in fact in most cases I guess they do since public opinion differs so much. Often a 'design flaw' on introduction turns out in retrospect to be accepted as a good one. Budgets, technological restrictions and Model Line-ups often play more than a passing part.

Alan321Neither brand is especially reliable with their servicing.
Welcome to the Modern World of disposable consumer products (or at least that's what producers/retailers would prefer).

Edited on Sep 29, 2013 at 12:20 AM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Info for people considering brands

Gregstx wrote:
I certainly don't think of this thread as a failure. I think it is pretty interesting. The OP mentioned the paint on the Canon getting scratched easily, I would like to mention about the rubber grips coming loose on Nikons. I do know that the rubber on Canons seems cheaper and drier to the touch to me and I don't care for it. But I don't know if their rubber comes unglued like Nikon. I much prefer the feel of the Nikon rubber. I just want it to stay where it is supposed to be. For example, I do have
...Show more

There is a thread on this on FM and it seems easily fixed with double sided tape.

Sep 29, 2013 at 12:11 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.