1       2       3              5      
       7       end

Archive 2013 · Info for those considering brands

sirimiri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Info for those considering brands

StarNut wrote:
Isn't it amazing how people have been taking breathtaking photos for over 150 years? Gee, I managed to take pleasing photos of my kids playing games with a manual focus, no-motor-drive SLR!

I wonder what Matthew Brady's stinkers look like?

Sep 26, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Info for those considering brands

Access wrote:
While you guys are on the topic of brand switching, as a point of curiosity, for those who sold gear and bought new gear, how much value (as a percentage) did you lose in the exchange?

i might have been lucky but for me i pretty much broken even.

Sep 26, 2013 at 09:05 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Info for those considering brands

I've lost too much. I had a massive darkroom set up and a lot of cash invested in Nikon film cameras. It was a costly but great move to Canon digital.

Sep 26, 2013 at 09:43 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Info for those considering brands

In case someone here hasn't seen it, the D800E thread in a sister subforum here at FM is one jaw-dropper after another. Made me a true believer.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1116053/0?keyword=d800e,thread#10655907

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Info for those considering brands

There's some impressive resolution on display for sure.

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Info for those considering brands

outlawyer wrote:
In case someone here hasn't seen it, the D800E thread in a sister subforum here at FM is one jaw-dropper after another. Made me a true believer.

Oh, well...what can we say...let go back to our home and having some crumb bread and sour milk.

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:53 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Info for those considering brands

mttran wrote:
Oh, well...what can we say...let go back to our home and having some crumb bread and sour milk.

That's what she said...

Derp

Sep 27, 2013 at 01:01 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Info for those considering brands

People can say whatever they want. Imo, end of the day IQ counts.

Sep 27, 2013 at 01:08 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Info for those considering brands

outlawyer wrote:

Outlawyer, I used the D800 plus Nikkor 28mm 2.8 AIS on a tripod to shoot this flower, does it count as being impressive, or am I missing something that the D800E offers? I really cant tell, my monitor is not calibrated, neither is my camera, and my skills are really sub amateur, but i get the idea, sort of! i depend on auto white balance most of the time, but at others i use a gray card. i shoot in door with usually natural lights, or with light bulbs! i use the timer on my camera a lot of the times as well, in order to use a low ISO and either f/1.4 or if i want f/13 or smaller without needing to shoot bulb! my camera like the rest is highly advanced, but my composition like my skills, is limited!

a.Rollei.Brujo.rodriguez-52 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

Sep 27, 2013 at 01:15 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Info for those considering brands

a.Rollei.Brujo.rodriguez-28 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

Sep 27, 2013 at 01:16 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Info for those considering brands

Access wrote:
Beni 5d3 metering seems to be very conservative in general. I find I can often use +1EV or even +2EV and not risk overexposure in the slightest. But it seems like the colors do fall off a bit at the upper part of the histogram (nonlinear color response). So perhaps this conservative metering was intentional.

I have run into cases where just leaving the camera alone gives me a better end result than trying to get it to expose to the right. So I honestly don't much bother with that unless I am trying to maximize the dynamic range.

While you guys
...Show more

Thanks, I have mine set permanently to +1 too. Spot metering however should be spot metering, backlighting elsewhere in the frame should not be able to make a difference and doesn't on the 1 series bodies.

Sep 27, 2013 at 02:40 AM
joshim
• •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Info for those considering brands

Funny, I basically shoot at +1 most of the time as well!

Sep 27, 2013 at 01:24 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Info for those considering brands

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
I used the D800 plus Nikkor 28mm 2.8 AIS on a tripod ...

Do us all a favor and learn how to resize your images before posting them.

Max width of 800 pixels usually works.

Sep 27, 2013 at 01:48 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Info for those considering brands

dmacmillan wrote:
Do us all a favor and learn how to resize your images before posting them.

The whole point of this practice was to demonstrate my point, although, I don't really know what that point is?? Thanks for speaking up for everyone, but I can honestly say that I don't read rules, and from my understanding I assumed that this was a post regarding the camera's capabilities, or lack of? I really don't know, but I did try to stay on topic. thank you, and mo.

Sep 27, 2013 at 04:26 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Info for those considering brands

dmacmillan wrote:

Thanks and +1.

Those gigantic files don't fit on the screen of my 27" monitor and they make a big mess on my laptop and iPad. A great approach if you need to show 100% magnification crop examples can include:

1. Share a small section of the full image - probably 800 px wide - that demonstrates your point.

2. Share a small version of the full image along with a link to the full size gigantinormous version for those few who might want to see it

Because these humongous images foul up the display of the forum, I generally simply "hide" any user who posts them.

Take care,

Dan

Sep 27, 2013 at 05:03 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Info for those considering brands

gdanmitchell wrote:
Thanks and +1.

Those gigantic files don't fit on the screen of my 27" monitor and they make a big mess on my laptop and iPad. A great approach if you need to show 100% magnification crop examples can include:

1. Share a small section of the full image - probably 800 px wide - that demonstrates your point.

2. Share a small version of the full image along with a link to the full size gigantinormous version for those few who might want to see it

Because these humongous images foul up the display of the forum, I generally simply "hide" any
...Show more

Bye But, before you are quick to ban, or hide me, keep in mind that an HD section exist here on a subforums, and they usually have no complaint over something so minor as an over sized image, and aside from that, isn't that what the whole half a billion pixels are all about anyhow? i have a puny 21 inch iMac and it isnt even calibrated, plus i have low speed net around 19. something Mbps down and 1.35 down crud from att, i miss super fast comcast. i also use my galaxy s 4 at times, with no big deal, and at times i use my wifes ipad mini with no probs that i wasnt expecting.?

Sep 27, 2013 at 05:25 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Info for those considering brands

This question is only relevant for someone buying new.
if you have existing lenses just buy more of the same. The two big leaders are Canon or Nikon.
Makes not difference which you choose, since they both make excellent cameras.

One brand works with my lenses and the other does not.

Sep 27, 2013 at 05:59 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Info for those considering brands

joshim wrote:
Ookay, that was a bad move on my part. I posted a link to my blog where I tried to write up an objective list of differences between the two to help people on the fence get more information before switching (which I was not able to do when switching to Canon). Two mistakes: linking out (people think I'm spamming) and the main topic. But honestly, I really want to make an objective list (with your help) to help others.

How about this, please list things from your PERSONAL experience with a brand that may HELP someone choose a brand/make a
...Show more

good stuff

Sep 27, 2013 at 08:21 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Info for those considering brands

dmacmillan wrote:

800 across appears like a postage stamp on a typical monitors these days, even on any HD tablet

so small that they can be pretty annoying themselves

granted his are a bit more than 800x but I'd still rather that than get a little postage stamp I think. If you really like the image you can size the large ones as you wish, with the little ones you are stuck with nothing

Sep 27, 2013 at 08:23 PM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Info for those considering brands

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I've found for Canon flash, to overcome the crazy NEVEC, I switch to manual mode now on the camera rather than use Av. It's amazing how much better the system works IMO. This way I can dial in precisely the exposure I want for the background and the flash fills in the subject nicely.

Try this experiment. Turn to Av mode, set desired EC, leave flash turned off and meter the scene, make a note of the exposure readings. Now turn the flash on and remeter and see how much they have changed.

This is by design. In automatic modes, Canon's system tries to balance the flash + ambient lighting automatically, and will cut ambient exposure by as much as a stop (or more), and the calculated ratio varies based on the EV level of the scene (the system discriminates between a bright sunny day outdoors, and a dimly lit interior scene, and varies the ambient/flash mix accordingly).

So shooting in M mode is always preferred if you want precise (and repeatable) control of the ambient exposure. But if you do want to shoot in Av, it's good to experiment a little to understand how it works.

One thing I like about Canon's system is that you are given *independent* control over exposure compensation for both flash and ambient lighting. So when shooting in Av mode, getting the balance the way you prefer (without switching to M) is usually just a matter of dialing in the EC and FEC that gives the result you want (and the EC can often be positive 2/3 or more for "just a touch of fill" scenarios).

Sep 28, 2013 at 01:20 AM
       7       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.