Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Assistant Pay + Expenses/Travel?

DarrenS
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Assistant Pay + Expenses/Travel?

I'm just starting to assist in the greater NYC area. Would it be appropriate to charge the photographer my mileage? I drove over 2 hours to assist on a shoot. And he wants a invoice this week.

Thanks

Sep 25, 2013 at 06:49 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Assistant Pay + Expenses/Travel?

Usually commuting to the "studio" or base of the photographer not billable. If you are driving out to a location for the shoot then mileage is billable. Hours are iffy...
In LA we have the TMZ (30 mile zone) if you are within that zone, it is considered local and not "travel".

Sep 25, 2013 at 08:19 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Assistant Pay + Expenses/Travel?

If you were driving to the shoot, standard government rate is 56.5 cents per mile.
http://www.irs.gov/uac/2013-Standard-Mileage-Rates-Up-1-Cent-per-Mile-for-Business,-Medical-and-Moving

Sep 25, 2013 at 09:19 PM
DarrenS
• •
p.1 #4 · Assistant Pay + Expenses/Travel?

Thank you for your feedback!

It was actually a location shoot that was far from my home and his studio.

On another note, this was my first time working with him. Would it be childish or unprofessional if I did not charge him for my first time assisting? Meaning, I would say something along the lines of, "Hey man, since we've never worked together before, this one was pro bono. Thanks for the opportunity and I look forward to working with you, again."

I just feel that might scream all sorts of bad things about me, but I'm not sure.

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:21 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Assistant Pay + Expenses/Travel?

The .56 per mile is what the IRS will allow for deduction off your taxes. Not necessarily what to charge a client for driving to the location.
To me it wouldn;t make a big difference if you charged or didn't charge although I might wonder why...driving a round trip anyplace these days is at least $20 I'd probably just pay you anyway, no reason for the assistant to subsidize the shoot, newbie or not.

Sep 26, 2013 at 04:51 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Assistant Pay + Expenses/Travel?

@DarrenS - there is no need to work for free. Next time I'd advise working out these details before the shoot. Instead of asking for a certain amount, maybe a softer way to handle this is to ask him what he thinks is fair (implying that he needs to pay you something).

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:41 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Assistant Pay + Expenses/Travel?

Ask him. He'll be covering the expense of you in billing the client - in other words, it's not his money he is spending on you.

Sep 26, 2013 at 03:11 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Assistant Pay + Expenses/Travel?

Paul Mo wrote:
Ask him. He'll be covering the expense of you in billing the client - in other words, it's not his money he is spending on you.

..and in most cases, he will mark it up!

Sep 26, 2013 at 08:19 PM
GoGo
• • •
p.1 #9 · Assistant Pay + Expenses/Travel?

Why not have this conversation with the photographer in question?

Did he ask you to meet him on location for the job, if so then yes you can and should have him cover your travel costs.

Sep 27, 2013 at 08:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Assistant Pay + Expenses/Travel?

I guess I am wondering why it was not settled beforehand?

If you offer the freebie, no matter how you word it, it will be expected next time. Or, at least, unpleasant for him to pay next time.

*but* since you didn't clarify it beforehand, you may have to eat it. And, if you want to work with him in the future, it is going to be awkward no matter what.

good luck.

greg

Sep 28, 2013 at 09:17 AM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #11 · Assistant Pay + Expenses/Travel?

DarrenS wrote:
I'm just starting to assist in the greater NYC area. Would it be appropriate to charge the photographer my mileage? I drove over 2 hours to assist on a shoot. And he wants a invoice this week.

Thanks

Sorry if this seems silly, but what did you agree on prior to the shoot?

Sam

Sep 28, 2013 at 05:43 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Assistant Pay + Expenses/Travel?

If someone wanted to assist for free then I would assume that includes them getting to the location. No travel. If I am paying I agree upfront to at least a amount based on hours expected. If not sure then I say at least this much and this much more if time runs over.

I don't add miles in. Again if the money is enough to interest an assistant then they can take the gas out of that. I would have build in some anyway. I know this is not the standard but works for me.

Sep 28, 2013 at 08:05 PM
ugdog
• •
p.1 #13 · Assistant Pay + Expenses/Travel?

Ask him, 'should I bill you mileage for this one'? Do NOT work for free.

Nov 06, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #14 · Assistant Pay + Expenses/Travel?

At the very least, just add the cost for gas. That's a fair request.

Nov 07, 2013 at 03:29 PM
Mark Wieland
• •
p.1 #15 · Assistant Pay + Expenses/Travel?

My guys always ride with me, unless they want to drive for some reason and then they are on their own

Dec 05, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Sid Ceaser
• • •
p.1 #16 · Assistant Pay + Expenses/Travel?

Be honest and ask him. Tell him since you are new to this, you are trying to figure out what is billable and what isn't. Any respectable Photographer who has experience hiring assistants shouldn't mind helping you with the process. We were all new once.

Just be honest and tell him you are having a hard time filling out the forms, and could you run it by him. Easy Peasy.

If he's paying you as an assistant, DON'T turn down payment. Take it and smile and learn stuff as you go.

Cheers,
Sid

Dec 15, 2013 at 08:23 PM
papageno
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Assistant Pay + Expenses/Travel?

+1

You should have covered this before the shoot. Probably the person you are assisting should have made this clear as well.

Be pleasant and professional, not whiney!

Dec 15, 2013 at 08:35 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password