New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Custom Settings for 7D

Mike Letour
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Custom Settings for 7D

I have had my 7D for about a year. I like it a lot. One of the things I do with it is shoot our Freshman and JV Football games on Thursday evenings. The Freshman game starts in full daylight, and by the end of the first quarter of the JV game, all I have is the stadium lighting. Our lighting is crappy; on some parts of the field, I can get 1/400 @ 2.8 with 3200 ISO, and in other places, it takes 6400. I would like to not have to mess with the camera, although I don't like using 6400 when I don't have to. I have been looking through the David Busch book, but I have yet to find anything on how to do this. Here is what I am looking for:
-Aperture f2.8
-Shutter speed 1/400
-Modulate ISO in response to the aperture setting and the fixed shutter speed.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks,
Mike

Sep 25, 2013 at 06:55 AM
akriegsfeld
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Custom Settings for 7D

Turn on the Auto ISO setting

Sep 25, 2013 at 08:15 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Custom Settings for 7D

I'm not sure I know exactly what you're asking, on the one hand it sounds like you are trying to change the max ISO that it will go to in auto-ISO mode, and on the other hand it sounds like you're asking whether you can have the camera change ISO automatically.

Not being sure which, I will try to cover both.

It sounds like you'd want to be in Tv mode (shutter-priority) with Auto ISO set, then the camera will vary the ISO automatically once it gets to the max aperture available (presumably f/2.8). In the "ISO Auto" settings you can select the max that it will go to, for example 3200 or 6400.

I presume by not wanting to "mess with the camera" that you mean not diving into menus for a moment to change a setting. In that case, I believe (but haven't personally verified) that the custom shooting settings would allow you to do just that. You could setup C1 such that the max is 3200 and C2 such that it is 6400, both could be in Tv mode. Then all you'd have to do is rotate a dial to switch modes.

Hope this helps.

Sep 25, 2013 at 08:23 AM
Mike Letour
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Custom Settings for 7D

Thanks for the replies. I will look into both suggestions when I get home from work tonight.

To elaborate on what I originally said, this is how I would ideally like the camera to behave:

In the worst of conditions (lowest light), maintain a minimum shutter speed of 1/400

As light improves, increase the shutter speed up to a maximum of 1/800.

If the light is better than 1/800, keep the shutter speed constant and modulate the ISO.

FYI, this isn't a case of laziness; I am ADD, and I tend to hyperfocus on the shooting and forget to change the settings. As an example, I arrived at the field in a hurry one evening, and started shooting. I must have had 50 shots completed when I realized that there was no card in the camera. Shortly thereafter, I figured out how to disable shooting without a card..........

Thanks,
Mike

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Custom Settings for 7D

I think I would go about using the three custom settings on the dial. TV will not work since that is the first variable you wish to change. So that leaves manual and av modes. Under av with the ISO set to auto the shutter speed will varied along with the ISO. I think I would set everything up in manual since there is no way to program give shutter speeds between a and b. Set up c1 for your initial settings for the early came set c2 to the slower shutter speed. Set c3 to the ISO you want to be the highest iso. All Cx setting have the aperture set to f2.8 or your initial desired apertature setting for each Cx setting. Set the ISO for C1&C2 to auto ISO also. Now when you shot ting and the light isn't enough for you current settings switch to the next Cx setting.

Also the Cx setting save several items like focus mode, shooting speed , back button focusing, etc research it.
A
I doubt it but check into a magic Lateran hack to see if it will allow you to set a high and low tv or even a low tv before switching the ISO. That would be nice. Remember your exposure is a triangle based on tv,av and iso. Manual allows you to set av and tv with auto ISO will use the ISO to tweet the setting for the best exposure of an image also using ec will allow you to fine tune for the current light.

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM
NikonGuyIsHere
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Custom Settings for 7D

Not sure about Canon models, but with Nikon you can shoot full manual mode and still keep auto ISO on. So you can set aperture and ss to your liking and the camera will adjust ISO to maintain exposure.

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Custom Settings for 7D

NikonGuyIsHere wrote:
Not sure about Canon models, but with Nikon you can shoot full manual mode and still keep auto ISO on. So you can set aperture and ss to your liking and the camera will adjust ISO to maintain exposure.

You can do that with Canons as well and is another way to slice this. The catch is if you want to change the max-ISO on the fly, the quickest is with custom settings on the dial rather than hitting up the menus.

For the OP, there's no way I can think of that you can guarantee a minimum shutter speed other than using the method that Michael described. With the custom modes you can have it start at a certain shutter speed each time you switch into that mode, but if you want something other than that you'll have to vary it manually using the controls.

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM
drbob
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Custom Settings for 7D

Maybe this has been answered but, you can put the camera in Shutter priority mode (to set your 'minimum' shutter speed... say 1/500), and also set ISO to Auto. You can also set to Manual; 1/500 @ f/2.8 with Auto ISO.

Something like Nikon D4 will let you set a range for shutter speeds and ISO's in Auto mode.

What I believe you can't do wiht the 7D is use some kind of exposure compensation such as you might use in Aperture priority in a dark environment.

As the lighting goes to full stadium lights, I think you'd be better off going full manual @ ISO 6400 and taking whatever shutter speed you can get. Another suggestion would be to shoot RAW to enable a 'little' pushing of the exposure in your processing. "Little" defined as up to a .5 stop or so.

good luck!
bb

Sep 26, 2013 at 09:39 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Custom Settings for 7D

Mike Letour wrote:
...To elaborate on what I originally said, this is how I would ideally like the camera to behave:

In the worst of conditions (lowest light), maintain a minimum shutter speed of 1/400

As light improves, increase the shutter speed up to a maximum of 1/800.

If the light is better than 1/800, keep the shutter speed constant and modulate the ISO.

Hi Mike.

I think the closest to your ideal that you can get is to shoot the 7D in Manual mode with your lens' maximum aperture set and your shutter speed set to 1/800, and the camera in ISO Auto with ISO 6400 set as the maximum. If the light drops to a level where 1/800 at ISO 6400 isn't enough, 1/400 would only be one stop brighter so not the end of the world if it doesn't change and you get a little under exposure. You can probably fix the levels in post without too much problem.

Or you could use 1/400 as your constant, with only slightly more chance of motion blur but with cleaner images from the resulting lower ISO. (That would be my choice.)

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:52 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Custom Settings for 7D

In a word the 7D can't do exactly what you are after and I blame Canon squarely for this oversight. Basically you want Av and auto ISO, but the fastest possible shutter speed you can set as a minimum is 1/250. In the one series there is a custom function to set the minimum shutter speed, but not in the other cameras. Canon needs to offer more options for the minimum shutter speed, such as 1/(m*FL) where m is a multiplier, say from 1 to 4.

M mode is ok if the light doesn't change and you don't need EC as that's not possible in auto ISO.

Sep 26, 2013 at 05:08 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Custom Settings for 7D

On a newer body such as the 6D, Safety Shift can work with the ISO speed. So you could, for example, put the camera into TV mode using your desired shutter speed then set some arbitrarily low ISO speed to ensure the camera always chooses the widest aperture. The camera will then shift the ISO speed as needed. You can still use exposure compensation in this mode.

Unfortunately, this [Safety Shift using ISO instead of shutter speed or aperture] is not a feature on the 7D body.

Edit: for clarity.

Edited on Sep 27, 2013 at 12:53 PM · View previous versions

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Custom Settings for 7D

garyvot wrote:
On a newer body such as the 6D, Safety Shift can work with the ISO speed. So you could, for example, put the camera into TV mode using your desired shutter speed then set some arbitrarily low ISO speed to ensure the camera always chooses the widest aperture. The camera will then shift the ISO speed as needed. You can still use exposure compensation in this mode.

Unfortunately, this is not a feature on the 7D body.

To expand a bit....the 7D does have Safety Shift, but the catch is that it operates on the primary variable, so in Tv mode it will slow the shutter speed.

From the manual (pg 223):

C. Fn 1 -6 Safety shift
0: Disable
1: Enable (Tv/Av)
This works in shutter-priority AE (Tv) and aperture-priority AE (Av) modes. When the subject's brightness changes erratically and the correct autoexposure cannot be obtained, the camera will change the exposure setting automatically to obtain a correct exposure.

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:48 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.