Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Storing camera body in dry box

CalBoy87
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Storing camera body in dry box

Hi. I got small dry box, it will fit all lenses and camera, but is a bit tight. Is storing camera inside the box a must, or is it OK to leave it outside on shelf with few silica bags around it? Humidity is around 80-85 % where I live. Also, I have attached the leather hand grip to it, do I have to take it off every time I put the camera inside the dry box? Sorry, but never used it before, so looking for advice from those with experience. Thank you for any suggestions.

Sep 25, 2013 at 07:43 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Storing camera body in dry box

I live in Nuuanu valley where it's 80% humidity and 80 to 90 degrees (F) nearly all year around. I've never used a dry box and my cameras and lenses have been fine for decades. I might get a little sweaty. I normally leave ah nekid DSLR with mounted lens lying on the table or dresser, ready to shoot. Easier to grab and run out the door when a great image suddenly bites ya on the arse!

Sep 25, 2013 at 08:25 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Storing camera body in dry box

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I do, by the way. I keep my gear and various electronics doo dads in a dry cabinet.

If I didn't would I find fungus sooner?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Sep 25, 2013 at 09:22 AM
CalBoy87
• •
p.1 #4 · Storing camera body in dry box

Reason for getting the box is my neighbor who lost older Nikkor to fungus, I will keep lenses inside, my question is regarding camera body, what is the chance of fungus getting into the body?

Sep 25, 2013 at 09:46 AM
wuxiekeji
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Storing camera body in dry box

CalBoy87 wrote:
is it OK to leave it outside on shelf with few silica bags around it?

Silica bags will do nothing if they're put on a shelf, they need to be in an enclosure to have any effect.

The other thing to watch out for is that silica gel saturates, after which it stops being effective. It can be renewed, but you have to know when to renew it. I would suggest getting the following:
1. A pack of indicator gel (lots available on Amazon). Indicator silica gel changes colour when saturated; you then throw it in an oven at 250-300 degrees F for a couple hours hours to renew it (indefinitely).
2. A reliable humidity meter to throw inside the box, so you can verify that things are working. Just buy a digital one with good reviews.
3. A translucent plastic box with lid to put everything in. (Light also deters fungus.)
You can get all of this for <$30.

If you're willing to spend a little more, you can get a powered dehumidifier cabinet.

Whatever you do, do NOT store lenses in your camera bag indefinitely. Bags harbor humidity and germs and are a great fungus growth environment inside. Whenever you get home take your lenses out and either (a) put them in a box as described above or (b) take off the caps and leave it in a bright area for a few hours while before storing -- fungus hates sunlight (but make sure you don't leave the rear cap on and put the lens in the direct sun, which will melt a hole in your rear cap and smoke up your rear element)

Sep 27, 2013 at 04:13 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password