Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Bow Bridge and Pine Bank Bridge

johnmatrix84

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bow Bridge and Pine Bank Bridge

Hello all,

I am currently photographing the bridges of central park as a project. Both of these images are details of two cast iron bridges.

The first is Pine Bank Bridge. I loved the details found in the bridge but found the scene itself uninspiring. So I focused on the iron work hoping to highlight the incredible workmanship.

PineBankBridge by johnmatrix1, on Flickr

The second is the famous Bow Bridge. I haven't quite found a composition that works of the entire bridge. However, the vines growing over the iron work was quite a beautiful contrast between man and nature. I couldn't decide whether to make it B+W or color so I split the difference and desaturated the bridge while leaving the vines intact. Comments, criticism, and rework are welcome. Thanks for looking.

BowBridge by johnmatrix1, on Flickr

Sep 25, 2013 at 03:08 AM
beanpkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bow Bridge and Pine Bank Bridge

John,

Interesting project!

I like the second one -- the vines really add a lot both in the composition and the color. Somehow in the first one it looks cut off on the right -- I even resized my window to make sure I hadn't cut it off myself. Maybe its the curving lines that cross and then go off the image. I wonder if you could reduce the skew in PP and make it a little squarer, as if you had stood right in front as in the second image. Maybe that would help make the right edge look more finished?

Just my 2 cents. Looking forward to seeing more of your project.

keith

Sep 25, 2013 at 08:07 AM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bow Bridge and Pine Bank Bridge

first photo: your perspective (leading lines) move your eye to the right and out of the photo. If you shot the wall straight on, it would keep your eye better focused and more comfortable exploring the beautiful design.
second photo: part of your photo is in sun, and part in shade. More desirable to have uniform light, either all sun or all shade. Your eye is drawn to the lightest part of the photo and tends to stay there. Also, in terms of your composition, you've cut off part of the circular design on each end. Seems like an unnatural point to slice. Last, I might crop off a little on the bottom.
Interesting project you're pursuing. I bet most people walk by and never notice these beautiful details.

Sep 25, 2013 at 03:17 PM
johnmatrix84

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bow Bridge and Pine Bank Bridge

When I shot the first photo I was worried about the crop being too tight so I grabbed a wider take. Let me know what you think.

Pine Bank Take 2 by johnmatrix1, on Flickr

For the bow bridge, I wanted the dappled light to draw attention to the middle circle. Which is also why I cut the outer circles to keep the focus on the middle. Thanks for the comments.

Sep 25, 2013 at 04:08 PM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bow Bridge and Pine Bank Bridge

The way I view both photos is that you are documenting a beautiful work of art. In my opinion, this is best viewed straight on frontally. If you were shooting a painting or a sculpture, would you shoot it slightly from the side? Not unless there was a thematic or contextual reason which I don't see here. Also, your composition in the first photo oddly cuts off part of the frame around the relief.
Your dappled light on the second photo draws my eye to a small, bright point at 2 o'clock on the circle, and keeps my eye there. As an artwork, it's the relationship of the three concentric sets of circles that is the most meaningful, and that is better served by having uniform light. Just my 2 cents.

Sep 25, 2013 at 05:12 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password