Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

Steve Dublanko

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

Gary Clennan wrote:
Superb! Care to briefly share some of your PP technique for this image?

Thanks for the comment Gary -- I would be happy to go through the PP process.

Firstly, this was shot at 14mm. The closest rocks in the foreground (red one on the right side of the frame) is about a foot from the lens. I had to focus stack the first ~5 feet of foreground to keep it sharp (4 shots for this). I used one double processed shot for the midground (everything but the foreground rocks and the sky). I probably didn't need to double process this but I wanted ultra clean shadows in the dark tree areas. I used a separate shot for the sky (2 stops darker) and then another shot for the stars. So in total, there are 7 different shots here.

I started getting everything as close as possible with lightroom. I worked on the midground shot first since it contains most of the image. I got this where I wanted and then copied most of the settings over to the other images (minus the star one of course). Then I tweaked the sky image until I got it more or less where I wanted it.

I used Helicon focus to combine the 4 images for the foreground. Then I exported the sky image and the midground image into photoshop and worked on the blend. This took a bit of time to get everything nice and clean and I redid it several times using different luminosity masks until I was happy with the result. After the blend was complete, I merged it with the focus stacked foreground image from helicon focus.

I now had something pretty decent to work with. I went back into lightroom and worked on the star shot -- basically just adjusted the white balance / tint / contrast until I got the desired look. I used a little luminance noise reduction because the star shot was shot at ISO 5000 (I forgot to dial it back down when I switched from my 24-105 to 14mm earlier that morning). Once I was happy with that I exported it to photoshop and merged it with my master image.

I then proceeded to tweak the master image in photoshop until I was happy with the final result (mostly local adjustments via masked curves / levels / dodging & burning). At some point I brought the double processed raw file in to lift the shadows in the trees a bit also.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but that is the jist of it. I hope that helps

Sep 26, 2013 at 04:10 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

Beautiful shot Steve. Lovely rich colours and details.
David

Sep 26, 2013 at 07:29 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

Thanks Steve. And I thought it was the JPG straight out of camera! Just kidding of course. I truly appreciate the PP information and it proves I have much to learn in this area.

Sep 26, 2013 at 09:14 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

Incredible shot!

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

Stepping it up!!! Wow! Killer image!

Sep 27, 2013 at 02:20 AM
B Landau
• •
p.2 #6 · Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

Very creative image. I generally don't care for images that have this level of post processing, but this one I like. Well done.

Sep 27, 2013 at 02:51 AM
nikon65
• • •
p.2 #7 · Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

WOW !!!!!

Sep 27, 2013 at 05:13 PM
Steve Dublanko

p.2 #8 · Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

Thanks again for the comments friends -- I really appreciate the kind words.

@Mark: Thanks buddy. Next step is to start printing some of my new work. I'll be checking out your new sharpening tutorial soon and may send a few messages your way for advice.

I'm off to the Tonquin Valley to shoot the Ramparts this weekend. I will catch you all on Sunday night / Monday. Enjoy the weekend everyone.

Sep 27, 2013 at 09:19 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

Steve Dublanko wrote:
@Mark: Thanks buddy. Next step is to start printing some of my new work. I'll be checking out your new sharpening tutorial soon and may send a few messages your way for advice.

Let me know, I love to help! I just helped Chris Moore with his exhibition and he loved the results!

Sep 28, 2013 at 09:13 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

Steve Dublanko wrote:
Thanks for the comment Gary -- I would be happy to go through the PP process.

Firstly, this was shot at 14mm. The closest rocks in the foreground (red one on the right side of the frame) is about a foot from the lens. I had to focus stack the first ~5 feet of foreground to keep it sharp (4 shots for this). I used one double processed shot for the midground (everything but the foreground rocks and the sky). I probably didn't need to double process this but I wanted ultra clean shadows in the dark tree areas. I
...Show more

Very nice. Impressive process and an impressive photo from my favorite spot. Good job. Thanks for sharing. Scott

Sep 29, 2013 at 08:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Dublanko

p.2 #11 · Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

Scott Stoness wrote:
Very nice. Impressive process and an impressive photo from my favorite spot. Good job. Thanks for sharing. Scott

Thanks Scott. I have only been there once and really look forward to going back. Do you know what its like there mid October?

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Nori
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

Would make a great print, congrats

Oct 05, 2013 at 03:36 AM
Steve Dublanko

p.2 #13 · Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

Featured thread! Sweet. Thanks for all the support, I really appreciate it. Cheers.

Oct 05, 2013 at 10:09 PM
shane8168
• •
p.2 #14 · Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

Absolutely beautiful!

Oct 06, 2013 at 02:44 AM
Rick Joyce
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

Unquestionably fantastic.

Oct 06, 2013 at 03:26 PM
edman24365

p.2 #16 · Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

Awesome capture. Really appreciate all the effort that went into the shot and the pp

Oct 08, 2013 at 05:01 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.2 #17 · Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

Even if it's unrealistic, this photo is still mesmerizing. I love it!

Oct 09, 2013 at 02:52 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.2 #18 · Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

thw2 wrote:
Even if it's unrealistic, this photo is still mesmerizing.

looks like a beautiful painting

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM
matthewh133
• •
p.2 #19 · Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

Congrats on the feature Steve! Worthy winner indeed

Oct 11, 2013 at 09:43 AM
Tynnwrlluniau

p.2 #20 · Sunburst Serenity (Assiniboine Sunset)

Wonderful photography and well worth all that effort.
Alun

Oct 12, 2013 at 08:53 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password