New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lightroom anomaly

Hotspur
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom anomaly

Just upgraded to LR 5.2.

When exporting files for Smugmug I make them 800 pixels on the long edge following a suggestion by Michael Reichmann of the Luminous Landscape: enough res for the Web but not enough for printing when someone rips them off.

Recently I saved a dozen or so at high res for making large prints (I simply unchecked the Res box). About 2/3 of the files were only about 1.6 MB while the largest were 16 MB. I deleted those and re-exported. Same thing.

I opened the JPGs in PS and discovered that the largest files were all 5760 x 3840 (native res for the 5D MKIII) (various filesizes, 14 to 16+ MB).

But the smaller files varied from 5400 to 2540 on the long edge. I can see no pattern in the behavior, i.e. subject matter on some of the files was nearly identical.

It could be that earlier versions of LR varied in res, though I do not believe so, for I never saw variations by a factor of 5 or 6 in file size.

Lesson learnt: When I'm going to do a large print, I will always specify 5760 on the long edge.

Has anyone else experienced this with LR 5.2? With other versions? Is this a bug or a feature?

Sep 24, 2013 at 04:18 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom anomaly

when you exported the files from LR5 did LR have access to the full RAW (or jpeg) file?

i say that because if you have 'smart previews' made of your files those previews are 2540 on the long edge .
and you can export those smart previews which will export at 2540 .

looking into the smart previews a couple of weeks ago i found the lightroom channel on youtube . they explained them as 'lossy' DNG files of 2540 on the long edge .

not sure whats happening if you are exporting different sizes above 2540 though

may be worth looking at what previews LR has made of you images .

also when you are exporting to Smug , are you exporting out of LR and the then uploading to smug? if so try the LR-Smug plugin . works great and you can change the export settings before you publish .
just a suggestion

Sep 24, 2013 at 05:22 PM
Hotspur
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom anomaly

Hmmm, think I do have Smart Previews turned on, don't know why as all my files are kept on one internal drive, so the RAWs were available. Guess Smart Previews is not buying me anything?

The puzzler for me was that there was a variety of sizes; if all were 2540 that would be more understandable.

I've always exported to a scratch folder, then uploaded through Smugmug. I will try using the plugin.

Thank you for the ideas to pursue.

Sep 24, 2013 at 05:32 PM
jonjack56

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom anomaly

I've always exported to a scratch folder, then uploaded through Smugmug. When you are exporting to Smug , are you exporting out of LR and the then uploading to smug? if so try the LR-Smug plugin.

Sep 26, 2013 at 05:52 AM
plubbry
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom anomaly

Just an off chance, are the smaller files cropped? Leading to the reduced pixel sizes?

Also, nothing wrong with only uploading 800px images, faster uploads afterall, but is there any reason to not just use smugmug's max image size to display setting? I.E. upload full rez images but limit the viewable size to 'Medium' or 'Large'?

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:21 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom anomaly

plubbry wrote:
Just an off chance, are the smaller files cropped? Leading to the reduced pixel sizes?

Also, nothing wrong with only uploading 800px images, faster uploads afterall, but is there any reason to not just use smugmug's max image size to display setting? I.E. upload full rez images but limit the viewable size to 'Medium' or 'Large'?

I use the SM Lightroom plugin as I have found that uploading through Smugmug does something to the file and I'm not sure what. I have done a lot of testing with the New Smumug and I find that the best method is to publish using the plugin and u/l using 1000px for both the long and short at a 260 resolution. When upload full rex files, my results indicate that IQ suffers regardless of the viewable size (YMMV).

Why there is a difference in size as the OP states could be the upload process from Smugmug. I'm only speculating but the SM upload process may do something to the files in terms of size to optimize disk space on their end.

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Hotspur
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom anomaly

The problem became apparent outside of Smugmug, so it is not something SM is doing. I read the file sizes in Windows Explorer. Yes, some of the small files had slight crops, but only slight, not enough to explain a 5X reduction in file size.

Sep 26, 2013 at 01:30 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom anomaly

If all of your images are on the same internal drive as everything else and if you still have room to move on that drive then Smart Previews do you no good at all. They will occupy more space and will take more processing time to keep them up to date.

You benefit from smart previews when you need to work on images that are on an external drive while that drive is not accessible. I have started using them because I have access to a speedy external drive while I am at home and I don't want to fill my internal drive too much when I am away from home. The smart previews average about a tenth of the size of the photo files.

- Alan

Oct 01, 2013 at 04:53 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.