Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

h00ligan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

Gunzorro wrote:
Oh, sorry! I get it!

Yes, unload that lens right away! Ha-ha!

Corrected to 24L ii

I think the above point is right. To a degree...I wonder if the omd series is pro looking enough, or not.

With the designers,t hey want fast and good shots...but I agree for portraits it's more 'picky'

One reason I have no desire to shoot paid portraits.

Are we sure the nex 6 doesn't operate wireless flash the same way as the rx1? There was a lot of confusion about the rx1 but the flash only needs to be mounted to pair. Then it can be removed to a remote location. Nex 6 doesn't worst hat way?

Fuji no wireless.....

Frustrating. We're so close.

Sep 26, 2013 at 08:16 PM
wfrank
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

Sorry to hear about your back.

The speed-booster is indeed a gift in wait for a FF NEX. I really like the ingenuity of the product though I myself would be reluctant to put an extra piece of glass on the camera when there's a clean FF option.

Then again, if it's not super urgent there's an FF NEX apparently close to be revealed (in case you havent noticed that thread). One rumor claim that it would be smaller than the NEX 7, but that just seems a little too good to be true. But it could very well be the smallest FF around if they skipped the electronic viewfinder (which I hope).

I am pretty tired of waiting for a worthy upgrade of the 5D2 and I dont see me going all out smaller sensor so that makes me very interested in an FF NEX.

To save weight it would make little sense to put a TS/ZE 21 or even a Sigma 12-24 on it. But for wides there are some fine lenses with FF image circle that do well anyway - and for very reasonable prices. The tiny Voigtländer 15/4.5 would be something to try out. Who knows, with some luck the wider Contax Gs could to well though many people doubt it, and they're super small and light too.

And for your shots like #2 and #5 on previous page - they wont be barred. Either carry the weight or exploit fast small alternatives. There are others but the Contax 50/1.4 is a personal favourite.

And while continuing talking alt, I've found only one lens that on (current) NEX'es produces similar rendering to your #2 and #5. It would be the Voigtländer 35/1.2. I realize your shots are with 35L and 135L (and FF) but I am talking about "the look". And that said with your first shot taken with the 35L which is a lens I absolutely adore though being a Zeissistador having the Distagon 35/1.4.

But in all, perhaps a hopefully short wait for a FF NEX would be worth a though.

Regardless, Good luck!

Sep 26, 2013 at 08:33 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

Sometimes, with some clients, I think you just can't win unless the camera is a) big and b) says "Canikon" on it. Its the only brand name many have heard of and even if it says "Phase One" or "Alpa" on your gear, you'll run across someone thinking its some "no-name" brand and your a hack who isn't worth the money.

Ironically same clients can rave about how much they love the images, even when you shoot 90% of the day with a Nikon V1 you picked up for $250 a few days earlier.

Bottom line is that the camera your using really doesn't matter, except when it matters

I will say though that to some degree I think clients (and other photographers) are getting a little more open minded to other brands.

I mean just a few short years ago showing up with a Sony, even if it was a rather nice FF 24meg state of the art camera would draw some raised eyebrows and under the breath comments about it being a "toy".

We've come a long ways, and now even a smartphone can pack 41megs, so you can't always judge a book, or in this case a camera, by its cover/size/logo, but there are a lot of naive (to put it kindly) photogrphers/clients/people in the world still

I'm sure every Sony RX1 user has been out and had at least one DSLR shooter make a smug comment about how their entry level APS-C DSLR is a better tool than "your point and shoot", I know I have and its like...ummm, this is a $2800 24meg full frame camera with an amazing Zeiss Sonnar and some of the best high ISO performance of anything on the market, you've got a 3 year old DSLR that is worth maybe $400 and plastic kit lens buddy.....

But sometimes its just easier to smile and nod and say "yeah, I might upgrade to one of those DSLR's sooner or later" and walk away

Sep 26, 2013 at 08:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

h00ligan
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

. Thanks.

Yah. Ff nex could be the answer. For the next shoot, I think I'll limp by as I have been. And then work on a restructure.

In the meantime, I think I'll remove the trade option for my rx1 and sell of a bit of other gear. I may rent a 16-35 for the next shoot.

At least I'll be off the Vicodin by then.

I don't see a UWA coming with a nex ff for a while. So I sorta hate to early adopt and pay that tax, when the lens lineup isn't there.

Most people seem against the omd series here. The results I see are good, but lack clarity (on pixelpeeper) but that seems like it could be a lack of post.

Sep 26, 2013 at 09:49 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

h00ligan wrote:
Are we sure the nex 6 doesn't operate wireless flash the same way as the rx1? There was a lot of confusion about the rx1 but the flash only needs to be mounted to pair. Then it can be removed to a remote location. Nex 6 doesn't worst hat way?

None of the current NEX bodies can command without a command-capable flash in the shoe. I expect this capability to come back with the NEX-7 replacement (as it was silly in the first place, all 6/7 series bodies have traditionally supported command on their built-in flash). The big problem though is that the NEX-6's wired remote release plugs into the hotshoe, blocking it from using Sony's nice little compact command flash units.

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:35 AM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

So it doesn't pair the wireless like the rx1?

In reading the rx1 docs there is a huge ?

But if you look at the 430m manual it becomes more clear. Sony support didn't have the answer.
With that body one the initial mound has been completed, and the pair set you can remove the flash to fire remotely.

Page 55 explains it. That Sid I'm reding conflicting reports. Does The nex 6 have the multiple shoe or is it the older style?

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4463175111.pdf

Sep 27, 2013 at 02:16 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password