Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

h00ligan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

I'm considering switching from my 5d2 system to something smaller. The majority of work I shoot is interior design / architecture on a tripod and portraits/ candids.

Has anyone with similar shooting changed. What's the hit in iq moving to nex 5/7 /10-22 or mft and panny 7-14 or oly 9-18?

Off camera flash is absolutely necessary for high contrast indoor fill.

Thoughts?

Sep 24, 2013 at 08:46 PM
alwang
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

What lens are you shooting with on the 5D2?

Sep 24, 2013 at 09:11 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

I've been shooting mostly with the 24L but I need to I wider. The options are consider changing to a smaller system or purchase the tamron uwa zoom, canon uwa zoom, and/or bower/rokinin 14mm prime.

I've been using the 35L on the canon but recently the rx1 in its place and 135L for portraits.

I'd like I have a system I didn't mind dragging around, with tilting screen as I'm tall. I'm currently trying to figure out if a complete reshuffle is justified or partial. I see a lot of landscapes with alt lenses. Not a lot of interior.

My clients don't print big, it's either for designers portfolios, rich clients to show off on their Facebook, or maybe a magazine submission for design.

For personal shooting I enjoy the rx1 - it probably works fine for most of the exterior stuff or selective objects inside. Which is why I feel the 5d2 sits around a bit.

Edited on Sep 24, 2013 at 09:37 PM · View previous versions

Sep 24, 2013 at 09:27 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

Why aren't you using the 17mm TSE? That's the perfect lens for interiors, paired the 24mm TSE II.

Sep 24, 2013 at 09:35 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

Price and size

I have considered it though. To sell the 24 and 35 and get the 17, using he rx1 as filler.

That leaves the 24-105, 135 and 40 pancake on the 5d. I don't enjoy the 5d2 for street shooting or candida which is why i use the rx1 /100 personally. Height plus camera size = look at me taking your photo.

I'm just trying to consider options and gather opinions prior to any more reshuffling.

Cheers!

Sep 24, 2013 at 09:37 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

The size of the 17 TSE is irrelevant for architectural photography -- a stable tripod is much larger!

You'll still need the 24 TSE for best results -- the 17 with 1.4X Extender is bigger still, plus loses a stop. In a pinch it will work, but I wouldn't want to use it routinely.

OTOH, the RX1 seems an itty-bitty thing to be mounting on a tripod. Seems a terribly expensive way to get a 35mm lens -- you could buy the 17 TSE (used) with plenty of money left over for what that costs. But that is a choice you make.

Perhaps you can post some pictures -- I don't see any of your work on the forum gallery, or put a website link on your profile. It would be nice to see and know what type of situations you are dealing with.

Sep 24, 2013 at 09:55 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

Yah I'll add a couple of shots. One instance where wider may have helped.

The thing is for me, the clients are the designers and they want it on their schedule (usually midday) and fast. The rx1 with rrs was a thought to replace the 35L as I orefer the results and I'd rather use that package than the 5d2 +35L for all my other shooting. I will post some shots. Give me a bit to get them organized.

The idea here is that I find increasingly my ff DSL sitting ona. Shelf outside of work, which is not a huge amount. Part time. My passion is in street photography and I'm trying to keep a kit that works well for paid but blend well for where my passion lies.

However as I examine things it seems a downsizing will be a financial wash and have an iq hit, hence e consideration to pare down to the bare essentials not he 5d2 kit.

Can rent lenses for the very odd event I do shoot. My volunteer work with the dogs has dropped to next to nothing now unfortunately but I expect it to pick up a but when the weather breaks a bit more.

Don't be too hard on me, I'm new to this style of photography! It just seems to me I need wider and as such considered trying to consolidate and maybe get a smaller system.

I prefer shooting stuff like this

Troopers by aphonic_silence, on Flickr

IMG_4546 by aphonic_silence, on Flickr

IMG_2891 by aphonic_silence, on Flickr

IMG_2758-Edit by aphonic_silence, on Flickr

Volunteer for stuff like this

Untitled by aphonic_silence, on Flickr

Untitled by aphonic_silence, on Flickr

And am starting to do this type of stuff which I feel needs wider lenses. - this is the new to me stuff. The clients are happy, but I'm not particularly. Most of which has to do with me not gear, but I feel wider would be helpful. The last shot of the living room would have benefitted from a stitch. It was a small space, hence the chair back cut off - wall behind it. Again, I realize I have a ton of room to improve, im trying to reconcile gear to what I enjoy shooting and what people decided they want to pay me to shoot - and do so without lugging heavy bags around ( I have bad muscle spasms in my back - wi out going in to detail the dr has told me to do nothing remotely stressful for at least four months). I prefer smaller cameras for shots involving people.

Thanks for looking and the input. Sorry for the crunched large interior shots.

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

The mirrorless camera that closely resembles a DSLR in form and function, that is a professional full-systems camera is, without a doubt, the OM-D E-M1. Check out this article:

http://www.gizmag.com/olympus-omd-em1-dslr/29015/

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

I'm not a pro and I've only started using flash photography. But from what my roommate and I have done, flash photography is definitely not the NEX's strong point (nor any liveview only camera), because in order to get the sync speed you have to set up the shutter speed and of course without the flash, it's pitch black and you have focus and switch back and forth. It was a real pain. It was so much easier with my Canon 5D then my NEX 5N. I may be doing something wrong, but if so, someone please chime in.

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:02 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

I have not used the OM-D with strobes for some time, but if I remember correctly, you have to turn on the "Live View Boost" so your VF remains bright even when the camera is stopped down to f8 or whatever. Otherwise it's impossible to focus and compose.

Dudewithoutape wrote:
I'm not a pro and I've only started using flash photography. But from what my roommate and I have done, flash photography is definitely not the NEX's strong point (nor any liveview only camera), because in order to get the sync speed you have to set up the shutter speed and of course without the flash, it's pitch black and you have focus and switch back and forth. It was a real pain. It was so much easier with my Canon 5D then my NEX 5N. I may be doing something wrong, but if so, someone please chime in.

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

Tripod based, strobes. Definitely m43. You want one of the E-M5 or EM-1 (the GH3, while otherwise excellent, lacks wireless TTL flash support, which is Oly-only in the current m43 system). NEX is out, since you can have either a remote release or strobes with the NEX-6, all NEX's have poor tripod feet and no other NEX body supports a wired remote release (a pity since the NEX-7 is otherwise ideal for you).

And yes, when using strobes you need to turn off exposure simulation (whatever it's called in the system in question) or you can't compose. Another win for the OM-D bodies since you can save your setups to the mode dial and just select the setup you need at the time.

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:21 AM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

Withdrawn to find more info.

How big is the em5. I'm not in search of the latest and greatest. From what I read the new oly is basically the same as the little brother

I'm going to hit pixel peeper I think, look around.

Thanks for the info, keep it coming!

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:23 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

h00ligan wrote:
Withdrawn to find more info.

How big is the em5. I'm not in search of the latest and greatest. From what I read the new oly is basically the same as the little brother

I'm going to hit pixel peeper I think, look around.

Thanks for the info, keep it coming!

E-M5 is quite small, essentially similar to the NEX-7 but with a prism hump. You can add either a horizontal grip or a horizontal & vertical grip to optimize handling (the HLD-6 includes both grips, you can't by the horizontal seperately but one of the L brackets includes a horizontal grip), most seem to prefer having the horizontal only.

The E-M1 is a big win in terms of handling, mostly due to the better buttons (button size/layout is an issue with the E-M5), it also gains a much better EVF and a minor resolution advantage (no AA filter), also you can remove the battery easily in the best size/handling combo, which the E-M5+horizontal grip makes difficult.

Given the cost right now, for your uses the E-M5 is probably the better solution, the cost difference will take you from a 9-18 to the 7-14.

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:31 AM
alwang
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

I would definitely take a look at Fuji (maybe the X-M1, for the tilt screen) along with the Fuji 14mm. The Fuji's low distortion would be a big advantage for interiors.

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:47 AM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

I considered the Fuji but I'm not willing to use a different raw converter or deal with less than stellar results from camera raw - it seems like Fuji is still difficult for now with Lightroom - I asked in the Fuji thread.

The Panasonic 7-14 seems to outshine the oly 9-18 in the images I see. Mft stopped down at moderate sizes for things like tripod work doesn't seem to be I big of an iq hit, however the minute the lights fun the difference is well. Night and day.

The Fuji was my first stop, but subsequently disqualified.

I used to own a gf1/20mm combo and liked it in good light - bit didn't make a good all around camera for me as I shoot in dim light a lot - the system was immature then too.

Sony has the sensor down, the bodies are getting there, but they don't seem to care about things like remote release and external flash.

If the lenses and features of mft were paired with the sensor and tech if the Sony. Winning system!

I'll look more at the em5. And 1. I did read the preview on the new one, which stated more buttons and better compatability with 4/3 (which I probably won't use)

I have a g45 with I could and would use on any if these systems for a mid to normal portrait lens, subsequently I think I will remove that from the buy sell boards for now. It's a great lens.

Unfortunately my back issues are unlikely to remedy for quite a while and that's really the catalyst. The one complaint I have about the rx1 is lack of a tilt screen.

For wide angle I really consider I need to be at minimum 17mm, but am concerned about flare reports on the panny. Realistically selling off the 5d and equipment should more than cover a camera and 1-2 lenses in either system. And a flash or two.

Does the omd series include wireless strobe capabilities without additional equipment?

Sep 25, 2013 at 01:02 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

alwang wrote:
I would definitely take a look at Fuji (maybe the X-M1, for the tilt screen) along with the Fuji 14mm. The Fuji's low distortion would be a big advantage for interiors.

Fuji's run into the same problem as NEX, but even more so, which is the limited flash capabilities (with NEX it's more a case of flash or remote release, pick one). Based on the requirements listed flash capabilities are fairly important, which really means Olympus when it comes to the combination of good wides, good for tripod work and capable flash system.

Sep 25, 2013 at 04:28 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

h00ligan wrote:
Does the omd series include wireless strobe capabilities without additional equipment?

It does indeed. You do need a flash in the shoe to command, but the small body-powered unit which is included with the OM-D bodies is capable of command.

NEX also has wireless flash (but you need to purchase a command-capable unit, and the only wired remote available for the NEX-6 uses the hotshoe, so no NEX can support both a wired remote and wireless TTL flash). Fuji, Panasonic and Samsung have no wireless TTL capability, the EOS M has the same capability as the low-end Rebels.

Sep 25, 2013 at 04:32 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

While I have transitioned over from 5 D II and III to a NEX 7 and couldn't be happier, I am not sure that I would recommend you do the same, Edward.
First off, there are few options for flash and lighting. Then, NEX 7 isn't so great at higher ISOs. I stick to 100. Then you haven't got so many options for wide angle. I love the Touit 12mm, but of course keystoning is acute. The Sony 10-18 is nice enough, but suffers from color shift on the wide end with NEX 7.
Lastly, but that is your call and not mine, if a photographer I paid showed up with a NEX, I am not sure I'd be so happy, as it looks anything but pro.
Oh, there are positives, too. IQ of the NEX 7 leaves that of the 5D III for dead in DR, colors and contrast. And it is small, light and stealthy enough that I never leave home with it and 3 primes, be it to buy bread or to go the end of the world. And, it you have a mind to that, you can use your Canon lenses on it, either with a SpeedBooster or an electronic adapter. You can mount fabulous and stealthy Leica M glass. You can even use it for tilt or shift with an adapter. But I haven't cared to tread these water yet.

Sep 25, 2013 at 04:55 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

hooligan -- Thanks for the photos! That helps give an idea of your interests and uses. I can see the RX1 to be great for the street and casual event stuff. But can't see it for your interior/architectural shots.

The good news is you have pretty decent lighting technique on these moderate wide angle shots. Lighting gets more difficult with wider angles, as you probably know, but is key for balancing outside light. You are right -- you do need wider angle lens. My standard has been the 24 TSE plus 16-35L II (now added the 17 TSE). You could look at the Tokina 16-28/2.8 for a low cost alternative -- I haven't used it, but it gets great remarks on FM. For a FF set-up, I'd look at the 6D with its WiFi, TSE and UWA lenses, along with a tablet for "proofing" the LV and doing remote firing.

I can understand the allure of the smaller M43 (and RX1), but don't think it's the best choice for these architectural assignments. The street and caninie shooting would be good for M43, but now you are getting multiple systems going, and it doesn't sound like that's what you want -- or is it?

Sep 25, 2013 at 02:03 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5d2 to nex or mft for non event photog

Thanks gunzorro

My initial thought process was to use the 5d2 for wide and telephoto. And the rx1 for my 35 equiv.

The more I look through the shots I like the more it stands out most are made with the 5d2. The tokina 16-28 was my next purchase for the 5d2 and I had planned on selling the 24L ii and 35L. They are both great lenses.

I don't mind multiple systems but would rather avoid overlap - like the rx1, 35L and 20 pancake. The pancake is cheap enough to justify keeping as a light go everywhere lens. I alsol so have the rx100 which
Is good enough for casual parties.

I appreciate all the responses. I think philander has a point too. About appearances. It's very unfortunate because I see the quality of shots coming from smaller systems and there should be no systemism. I do think that would be less wih omd as it looks like a dslr.

Things I don't like about the 5d2 - no titling screen would be the biggest. The id have to go with af. I wish the 6d or 5diii had fast live view. Maybe they do and I missed it?

I wanted to check in with the experts here before reshuffling any more gear, draw on the group experience to save myself money and time!

I even considered getting an eos-m with 22 and ef adaptor....it's on the table. The af seems a lot better and the kit is $400

Right now I feel like I have different gear I like for different reasons and just wanted to see if there was a. Way to consolidate and possibly downsize.

Thanks for all the great responses. Very much appreciated. I'll have to see what the newer canon ff features benefit. If the 6d is smaller. The rx1 also has tangibly better high ISO. I'm wondering if I keep the rx1/100 as my go everywhere cams and keep the 135 anda. Tokina UWA with two strobes for the 5d2. I don't want to spend any more money, I'd rather repurpose.

How can one trigger with a tablet on the 6d. That takes away the tilt screen need for me. Shuttersnitch? That's another bummer, I have an eye fi card (not worthy he money IMO, slow and finicky) but s obviously sd anyway. I don't shoot crazy bursts or do much tracking.

I hought here was a. Wifi addin for the 5d2 also. May cost less than changing to a 6d. I have no idea what gently used 5d2ís are going for these days.

But for walking around, I still find the overall system too big, so it would have to be a split setup. I'd like to integrate the two setups when needed rather than repeat focal lengths.

I have to say the em1 is very intriguing to me. I'm going to look at some previews.

Edited on Sep 25, 2013 at 04:30 PM · View previous versions

Sep 25, 2013 at 04:01 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password