Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

dodgyexposure

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

mogul wrote:
The problem with the GC hike from people who have done it (in good shape) is toes being driven into the front of the boot going down. Knees also take a beating going down.

Using 2 hiking poles helps a lot, especially on descents.

My recollection of the GC trails (midsummer, 15 years ago) is that the gradient is not particularly onerous. Slow and steady should see you through okay.

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Iron_Dreamer
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

nugeny wrote:
Hope you have been trining for it. Some years ago my sister inlaw went down there with a group. On the way back up, 2 couldn't make it. they had to put them on donkeys!

Yep, we're well prepared, we're regular hikers and rock climbers with good conditioning. I'm an experience winter hiker, and we'll be sure to have all the right gear to handle some properly cold temperatures. I had a great time hiking to "The Wave" in January this year, with temps in the teens and single digits all day, and snow covering the path.

I'm debating which trails to take for our trip, some of it might come down to prevailing conditions at the time. It'll definitely be a South Rim - River - South Rim tour.

Oct 01, 2013 at 05:53 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

Today: 3 hrs 42', 11.12 miles, 1886 calories, gains 2703 feet.

Oct 02, 2013 at 08:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Walker

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

I lived in Flagstaff over over 8 years and have hiked the canyon many times. It is a great trip and I am sure you will enjoy it.

I think winter is a great time to do it. My wife and I did a one day round trip to the bottom (South Kaibab trail) for our anniversary one year in late December. Our departure was delayed until 10 AM because the roads in the park were closed due to over a foot of snow. The trail was packed with ice for the first several miles. We had instep crampons, which were essential.

It was an absolutely wonderful day with very few other hikers.

It sounds like your conditioning program is just right to me. Slow and easy is the way to enjoy the canyon for me. The trip out is long and uphill, but I enjoy it just as much as the descent.

Enjoy your trip!

Steve

Oct 05, 2013 at 05:05 AM
Hammy
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

Just got back from my first trip to the GC.

Definitely plan on returning for a hiking trip through.

Anticipating your photos and experience!!

Oct 08, 2013 at 03:25 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

Progress:
I have been doing 12,5 +miles non-stop, in less than 4 hours, up/down 4300 feet. So far so good.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I even bought a pair of crampons, just in case there is ice and snow--that I hope for, snow--for the shake of photography.
2 more weeks to go. I think I will be AOK. Hope so! Stay tuned.

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:18 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password