FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

All light and steady

the tripod, I have it inmy hand, so light and so steady, and for the price, cam't be beat. You can pay 2x even 3x more you can't get btter than this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00573NAZ2/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

The backpack
I went ot a local store, they wanted $265.00 , so here is from Amazon for the same and the price $84...about 1/3
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001APFB5S/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:59 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

Well it's a long ways down and then you have to get back up again. Good luck, drink enough water and use sunscreen.

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:44 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

MalbikEndar wrote:
Well it's a long ways down and then you have to get back up again. Good luck, drink enough water and use sunscreen.

Yes, I have been training for it. Yesterday I hiked 9.3 miles elevation gain 2700 feet, non stop in 2.4 hours.
Going down and up in GC close to 10 miles each way. We will have 4 days and they would take the whole day to do it each way. Donkey assisted for loads!,
So I think I will make it. Have one more month to train, so I will be over qualified.
I signed up about a month ago. Soon after some one called to make sure I can make it. I am 72.

Sep 24, 2013 at 03:04 PM
bdickers
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

Be aware, it gets hotter as you go down into the canyon.

Sep 24, 2013 at 03:29 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

bdickers wrote:
Be aware, it gets hotter as you go down into the canyon.

that is why I will go in beginning Nov. Weasther forecast: snow possible by that time. I do hope to get some. snow would help beautifying the already magificent GC.
I can wait to shoot the waterfalls!

Sep 24, 2013 at 03:38 PM
PB_James
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

I'm heading down the Canyon in late December. Just me, my girl, and a couple of 40lb packs. Have a great trip!

Sep 25, 2013 at 05:18 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

Iron_Dreamer wrote:
I'm heading down the Canyon in late December. Just me, my girl, and a couple of 40lb packs. Have a great trip!

Hope you have been trining for it. Some years ago my sister inlaw went down there with a group. On the way back up, 2 couldn't make it. they had to put them on donkeys!

Sep 25, 2013 at 05:57 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

One of the best vacations I've had was rafting down the Colorado for a week through the Canyon with the wife & kids. An incredible experience. Went with Western River Expeditions and recommend them.

Sep 26, 2013 at 06:35 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

Nugeny,

Sir, with all due respect, don't ever regard yourself as "over-qualified" when doing long duration descents and climbs. Thinking that disregards exigencies, e.g., falls, injuries, weather changes, the pack animal dies or gets injured, and as one poster has already noted, it gets a helluva lot warmer descending. Moreover, the conditioning you acquire in your training will be quite specific to the terrain over which you are in fact training, specific to the weather conditions under which you will be training.

While not directly related to your effort, I recall recently a gentleman in our local gym who was attempting a 24 hour race - he spent the majority of his training jogging over hill and dale in weather that was not remotely similar to what the weather turned out to be. He thought that running on an elliptical machine for hours on end, and adding in treadmill running would "qualify" him to do well in the 24 hour event. He also thought quite stupidly that he could run 24 hours continuously. He bombed at 42 miles.

Even so, I wish you good luck and hope you get some remarkable pictures, highly likely I'm sure.

Sep 26, 2013 at 07:01 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

anthonysemone wrote:
Nugeny,

Sir, with all due respect, don't ever regard yourself as "over-qualified" when doing long duration descents and climbs. Thinking that disregards exigencies, e.g., falls, injuries, weather changes, the pack animal dies or gets injured, and as one poster has already noted, it gets a helluva lot warmer descending. Moreover, the conditioning you acquire in your training will be quite specific to the terrain over which you are in fact training, specific to the weather conditions under which you will be training.

While not directly related to your effort, I recall recently a gentleman in our local gym who was attempting a
...Show more

Grand Canyon elevation about 6500 feet, the temperature in Nov will be 60-30.
I am at 3000 feet elevation and right now the temperature 75-40, and getting cooler by the day. Today I worked out with snow cap on in the morning. Cold and great.
No one never can be over qualified, but the level of my work out is reassuring. Yesterday I hiked 10.5 miles in 2 hours 45 min, non stop, elevation gain 3000 feet.
Keep in mind that the hike in Canyon down and up for around 10 miles and will take the whole day each way, many break on the way; the reason is: the trip will be not competitive, but for site seeing and photography along the way.
Thanks for the thought and stay tuned for some decent images of Death Valley, Zion NP, Grand canyon and probably Slot canyon. All in 12 days.

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Adam Schallau
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

What trail are you hiking down, and what trail are you coming back up on?

Sep 26, 2013 at 03:32 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

Adam Schallau wrote:
What trail are you hiking down, and what trail are you coming back up on?

I will be hiking with Havasupai premier. No idea about which trail, but here is the essential:
--day one: 10 miles, elevation loss 2400 feet.
--day two: 7miles, up and down at the bottom 500feet.
--day three: 10 mile, up 2440 feet.
---day 3; 6 miles, down 1440 feet.

Sep 26, 2013 at 07:30 PM
3iron
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

Keep training, bear in mind the caution stated above, you will do fine. Try to prepare for the worst. You will have a great time. You can only train in the environment you have. You can, however make that environment more stringent by adding weight, increasing speed and anything else you can think of. Cant wait to see the pics.
Best wishes.

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

3iron wrote:
Keep training, bear in mind the caution stated above, you will do fine. Try to prepare for the worst. You will have a great time. You can only train in the environment you have. You can, however make that environment more stringent by adding weight, increasing speed and anything else you can think of. Cant wait to see the pics.
Best wishes.

stating next week, there will be a camera bag (D800e+24-120 lens)+ tripod on my back.

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

I'd love to do that someday, but think I'll match my transportaion mode to my character , jack ass all the way

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

Kell wrote:
I'd love to do that someday, but think I'll match my transportaion mode to my character , jack ass all the way

I am trying to convince my daughter to join me to Inka trail hiking to Macchu Picchu

Sep 27, 2013 at 01:49 PM
StevenF

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

My two cents: If you are expecting snow/ice it would be a good idea to pack some crampons. The trail can be very treacherous when icy.

Sep 28, 2013 at 09:21 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

StevenF wrote:
My two cents: If you are expecting snow/ice it would be a good idea to pack some crampons. The trail can be very treacherous when icy.

You meant Grand Canyon or Machu Picchu?

Sep 28, 2013 at 09:25 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

IN the last two days I have been to Eastern Sierra for fall leaves color.
Today , Not checking the elevation before hand, I was walking brisky and realized suddenly I was lighted head and lighted legs. So I slowed down and luckily I had the iphone with me. It told me I was at 10650 feet. That explained.

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:11 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Ready for my GrandCayon hiking

The problem with the GC hike from people who have done it (in good shape) is toes being driven into the front of the boot going down. Knees also take a beating going down.

Sep 30, 2013 at 09:41 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.