Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Fully Articulated LCD Screens on Digital Cameras Please!!!!

rickde

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Fully Articulated LCD Screens on Digital Cameras Please!!!!

I don't understand why so many cameras are being made with either fixed or tilt-only LCD screens! Fully articulated screens are vastly more useful for shots at angles that would be impossible with tilt-only screens. Since almost every DSLR and mirrorless made has video now, shooting video is far more flexible with a fully articulated LCD. Nikon got it right on the D5200, the new Canon 70D has one and also the Lumix GH3. Other than that, most DSLR's and even mirrorless cameras have either fixed LCD's or tilt-only. Why is this? I think that swiveling LCD's should be standard on all DSLR and mirrorless cameras, even pro-level ones, not just consumer models and compacts. Even if, for some reason, the photographer prefers to have a fixed screen they can just keep the swivel-screen flat in the camera while shooting. Wake up Nikon, Canon, Olympus Fuji, Panasonic and do this for us please!

Sep 24, 2013 at 04:03 PM
darrellc
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Fully Articulated LCD Screens on Digital Cameras Please!!!!

I appreciate the fully articulated screen on my GH3, but funny thing is, I actually prefer a tilting screen like on my omd and rx100. Less functional but much quicker to utilize for the most common use cases (for me at least). I really miss either when I use my d800.

Sep 24, 2013 at 04:11 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Fully Articulated LCD Screens on Digital Cameras Please!!!!

I highly prefer the tilt only screen to the side-swing articulated LCDs with my mirrorless cameras, because, for waist level type shooting, I'd prefer the LCD to be in line with the camera, rather than swung out to the side, and articulated screens tend to be bulkier, too.

Sep 24, 2013 at 04:14 PM
RobCD
• •
p.1 #4 · Fully Articulated LCD Screens on Digital Cameras Please!!!!

douglasf13 wrote:
I highly prefer the tilt only screen to the side-swing articulated LCDs with my mirrorless cameras, because, for waist level type shooting, I'd prefer the LCD to be in line with the camera, rather than swung out to the side, and articulated screens tend to be bulkier, too.

The Sony A77/A99 design is the best by far... I hope one of the new NEX models have this design. It does take a little while to get used to it but once you do it is great.

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:06 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Fully Articulated LCD Screens on Digital Cameras Please!!!!

RobCD wrote:
The Sony A77/A99 design is the best by far... I hope one of the new NEX models have this design. It does take a little while to get used to it but once you do it is great.

It's a considerably bulkier design, which I wouldn't be a fan of on NEX. It makes sense on SLT, though.

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:18 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Fully Articulated LCD Screens on Digital Cameras Please!!!!

douglasf13 wrote:

+1

Sep 25, 2013 at 04:49 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #7 · Fully Articulated LCD Screens on Digital Cameras Please!!!!

The cost goes up and so do the cost complaints. Just sayin

Sep 25, 2013 at 05:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobCD
• •
p.1 #8 · Fully Articulated LCD Screens on Digital Cameras Please!!!!

douglasf13 wrote:
It's a considerably bulkier design, which I wouldn't be a fan of on NEX. It makes sense on SLT, though.

I suppose considerably bulkier is hard to quantify but I'd prefer the NEX 7 to be a little bigger anyway.

Sep 25, 2013 at 06:33 AM
Emacs
• •
Account locked
p.1 #9 · Fully Articulated LCD Screens on Digital Cameras Please!!!!

For stills square sensor is an answer and better solution I believe

Sep 25, 2013 at 06:46 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Fully Articulated LCD Screens on Digital Cameras Please!!!!

douglasf13 wrote:

The full tilt screens are a bit in the way when swung out for tilting.
On a few occasions a fully articulated screen would be useful, but most of the time an inline tilt only screen works best for me.

One of the best features about the fully articulated screen is its ability to turn around to protect the screen for storing.

Sep 25, 2013 at 06:50 AM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #11 · Fully Articulated LCD Screens on Digital Cameras Please!!!!

rickde wrote:
I don't understand why so many cameras are being made with either fixed or tilt-only LCD screens! Fully articulated screens are vastly more useful for shots at angles that would be impossible with tilt-only screens. Since almost every DSLR and mirrorless made has video now, shooting video is far more flexible with a fully articulated LCD. Nikon got it right on the D5200, the new Canon 70D has one and also the Lumix GH3. Other than that, most DSLR's and even mirrorless cameras have either fixed LCD's or tilt-only. Why is this? I think that swiveling LCD's should be standard
...Show more

+1

When the Canon 6D was rumoured as a FF version of the 60D I got REALLY excited, an articulated screen FF at last!

It got left off! why Canon, WHY?!

Sep 25, 2013 at 07:31 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Fully Articulated LCD Screens on Digital Cameras Please!!!!

I love the fully articulated screen on the a99, but I agree with the sentiments about about that implementation being too bulky for the NEX-7. I'd would like to see a two-axis tilt on the NEXs, though, so you can waist level shoot in portrait orientation.

Sep 26, 2013 at 06:38 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Fully Articulated LCD Screens on Digital Cameras Please!!!!

There is a reason Sony priced the a99 the way it did, and this is one of them. I don't use it much but the thing is incredibly versatile, and when you need it, it's there.

I imagine it would be great for someone like hooligan here, having trouble with event shooting, and also older landscape shooters wanting ground level shots, etc. Also exc for stealth work, subjects think you just another screen freak, even if the camera is pointed at them. Not for a small camera though.

Sep 26, 2013 at 09:59 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password