New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · D5300 with EXPEED4

hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D5300 with EXPEED4

I never saw that coming, not with the D5300 anyway I think this is very promising news that the EXPEED4 will be extended to other pro bodies.

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/09/24/nikon-d5300-specifications-wi-fi-gps-expeed-4.aspx/

Edited on Sep 24, 2013 at 10:38 AM · View previous versions

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D5300 with EXPEED4

oh boy, yet another incremental update

now with GPS:
does it also support Glonass, Beidou, and Galileo?

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM
jonrock
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D5300 with EXPEED4

I'm not exactly sure why they can't also just drop it into the rumoured D610 so there are at least some minor changes in specifications from the D600. It actually sounds like a promising update for other Nikon camera bodies as well if what I read on Thom Hogan's site is correct.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/milbeaut-and-expeed.html

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D5300 with EXPEED4

why would Nikon release a D5300 when they just released the D5200 in January? that makes no sense at all.

Kent in SD

Sep 24, 2013 at 06:10 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D5300 with EXPEED4

Nobody is forcing you to buy it. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Not sure why people complain about a camera they don't want. Sit tight, wait for Nikon to release the camera you've been waiting for.

Sep 24, 2013 at 06:53 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D5300 with EXPEED4

We get this nonsense, but no D400

EBH

Sep 24, 2013 at 06:58 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D5300 with EXPEED4

So what's new in Expeed4? I can't find anything about it. Depending on what that processor is all about (faster? cheaper to make? battery life?) one will be able to draw conclusions about the point behind releasing a new camera model. Sometimes it's about bigger margins and not really features when release cycles are cut short.

Sep 24, 2013 at 07:01 PM
jonrock
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D5300 with EXPEED4

pburke wrote:
So what's new in Expeed4? I can't find anything about it. Depending on what that processor is all about (faster? cheaper to make? battery life?) one will be able to draw conclusions about the point behind releasing a new camera model. Sometimes it's about bigger margins and not really features when release cycles are cut short.

Read the link I posted above. The milbeaut is the generic name for the Nikon Expeed processor. It's used in other manufacturer's cameras as well.

Sep 24, 2013 at 08:51 PM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D5300 with EXPEED4

D5X00 is a consumer line product, and the target market (not necessarily upgrade from D5200) always want the latest, and easy sharing (via WiFi) can be quite important to many potential users.

Sep 24, 2013 at 09:52 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D5300 with EXPEED4

I'm more excited about the EXPEED 4 engine... maybe the long-awaited successor to the D4 is around the block too? But might make sense to announce that at the start of next year after the quarter...

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D5300 with EXPEED4

Two23 wrote:
why would Nikon release a D5300 when they just released the D5200 in January? that makes no sense at all.

Kent in SD

+1000 ... especially where the lack of a D400 is such a gaping hole in the line-up.

Oct 16, 2013 at 01:32 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D5300 with EXPEED4

It got GPS and wifi, both things that should have been in all current-generation Nikon bodies, IMO.

Oct 16, 2013 at 01:51 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D5300 with EXPEED4

Just what we need from Nikon....another mid-level DX body. NOT!

I wonder how many they'll sell. After all, you can still buy the D5100 and D5200 -- and probably even the D90 at clearance outlets.

Oct 16, 2013 at 03:52 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D5300 with EXPEED4

From those I would buy the D90 without a seconds doubt. @OccAeon, why should cameras have GPS and WiFi? I donīt want either in my camera if I can help it. Both technologies are too localized and subject to change to be of any use. Iīd rather have Nikon add useful features to cameras instead of manufacturing more toys. If I want GPS, WiFi and Pictbridge Iīll just go out and buy the latest Canon compact. I buy Nikon to get rugged prosumer dSLRīs. Or at least, thatīs how it used to be.

Oct 16, 2013 at 03:57 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D5300 with EXPEED4

the solitaire wrote:
From those I would buy the D90 without a seconds doubt. @OccAeon, why should cameras have GPS and WiFi? I donīt want either in my camera if I can help it. Both technologies are too localized and subject to change to be of any use. Iīd rather have Nikon add useful features to cameras instead of manufacturing more toys. If I want GPS, WiFi and Pictbridge Iīll just go out and buy the latest Canon compact. I buy Nikon to get rugged prosumer dSLRīs. Or at least, thatīs how it used to be.

Cameras should have wifi and GPS because those two features have practical uses, are inexpensive to add, and have no downsides. If you don't like the features, disable them. I just want the ability to have those features without having to pay Nikon $200+ extra and without having random crap sticking out of my camera and/or blocking the hot shoe.

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:16 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D5300 with EXPEED4

the solitaire wrote:
From those I would buy the D90 without a seconds doubt. @OccAeon, why should cameras have GPS and WiFi?

Because the purpose of photography these days seems to be to post images on Facebook or some other social medium. Without WiFi, you can't post immediately and without GPS, there's no proof that you are where you actually claim that you are.

Now, if I could only figure out how to transmit photos to FB from my F6

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:35 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D5300 with EXPEED4

the solitaire wrote:

I don't understand the resistance to simple, inexpensive features that make the use of the camera simpler and easier. If you don't like the feature, don't use it.

It's like auto bracketing ... I never use it as I shoot 100% in manual, but I can see where some people love it and having it in my camera does not impact me.

Oct 16, 2013 at 08:23 PM
glassartist
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D5300 with EXPEED4

OccAeon wrote:
Cameras should have wifi and GPS because those two features have practical uses, are inexpensive to add, and have no downsides. If you don't like the features, disable them. I just want the ability to have those features without having to pay Nikon $200+ extra and without having random crap sticking out of my camera and/or blocking the hot shoe.

I agree with you but . . . you hardly need 24mpx for social media.

Oct 16, 2013 at 09:16 PM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D5300 with EXPEED4

glassartist wrote:

You can shoot RAW + Jpg (small). Small jpg for social media and raw for other use.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:34 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D5300 with EXPEED4

glassartist wrote:

I don't see how that's relevant.

Some people use Nikon cameras to make a living, while others use them for entertainment, and there is a lot of overlap. I don't see why Nikon can't or shouldn't cater to both audiences.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.