Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

mountain wedding in Banff

CareyNash
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · mountain wedding in Banff

A few shots from a recent wedding in Banff Canada. I'm not sure how much I love the tilt shift lens but every so often I like the effects. The whole session is on the blog as well.

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:46 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · mountain wedding in Banff

#4 has my vote for image of the week.

Man, the gorgeous mountains in your images... the thought of being able to trail-run up them makes me want to move up there even if it means working a minimum-wage job.

Sep 24, 2013 at 03:09 PM
bbourizk
• • •
p.1 #3 · mountain wedding in Banff

4 is a killer shot mate.

Sep 24, 2013 at 03:22 PM
myam203
• • •
p.1 #4 · mountain wedding in Banff

I agree about 4. 99% of the time I don't like tilt-shift, but you made it work here! 1 is nice too, but more typical of what I see being done. 3 I just don't like, because they look so stiff and unnatural.

Sep 24, 2013 at 04:16 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #5 · mountain wedding in Banff

That's because they're likely a bunch of flat-landers who came up from 85F-land who are now freezing in 55F temps.

Sorry about not being able to convert F to Celsius... the rest of the metric system makes a lot more sense for weights, volume, distance, but for human temperatures, Celsius doesn't seem as applicable.

myam203 wrote:
3 I just don't like, because they look so stiff and unnatural.

Sep 24, 2013 at 04:33 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #6 · mountain wedding in Banff

Please step away from the VSCO....

I really like the photography, but I grieve for the loss of what had to be wonderful blues, greens and other colors of nature.

The last photo is a lot of fun.

Sep 24, 2013 at 05:21 PM
CareyNash
• • •
p.1 #7 · mountain wedding in Banff

dmacmillan wrote:
Please step away from the VSCO....

I really like the photography, but I grieve for the loss of what had to be wonderful blues, greens and other colors of nature.

The last photo is a lot of fun.

I've been floating back and forth with it. I make my own actions (not vsco) but yes they have muted shadows and tones emulating a softer film look. On the contrast I'm not a big fan of over sharpened and over coloured images so I'm trying to find a happy middle ground.

Sep 24, 2013 at 05:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #8 · mountain wedding in Banff

CareyNash wrote:
I've been floating back and forth with it. I make my own actions (not vsco) but yes they have muted shadows and tones emulating a softer film look. On the contrast I'm not a big fan of over sharpened and over coloured images so I'm trying to find a happy middle ground.

Gotcha! Good on you for looking for your look. I understand what you are trying to avoid. Being an old film guy I find a lot of digital work oversaturated over sharpened. Heck, I never shot a roll of Velvia because I thought the look was overcooked!

The color photo of them with the mountains in the background is fine. I especially like the skin tones. I might have snapped the background a little, but that's personal preference.

I spent years printing B&W and I'm not a big fan of the muddy blacks that seem to be in fashion. I worked hard to avoid them and I think my clients would have been disappointed if I presented prints that didn't have nice blacks.

Looking beyond the PP, I really like the photos. I find the wedding party photo with the tree in the middle to be fun and playful!

Sep 24, 2013 at 09:00 PM
joshua grasso
• •
p.1 #9 · mountain wedding in Banff

I like the processing on three. Nice subtle film look not overlydone. The other ones are obviously strong but I don't find them distasteful I find them nice. I personally love TS and it almost works great in 3 but I think theres too much blur up into their face. Still looks good but I think thats the only thing from making it perfect. I've never used a TS so I'm curious how hard/easy to see where your blur will be?

Sep 25, 2013 at 02:23 PM
Cassario
• •
p.1 #10 · mountain wedding in Banff

Great shots Carey, number 2 is probably my favorite and 4 is awesome too. Im trying to figure out the focus plane on 4, is the blur done in post or did you free-lens that shot? Just curious.

Sep 26, 2013 at 01:00 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #11 · mountain wedding in Banff

I have to say as well, 4 is awesome. From a client pov they probably loved it. From a photographer pov, my eye went right to the groom's head where over-manipulation of the image is apparent. And agree with the rest, 3 is uncomfortable. I'm personally over the washboard poses.

Sep 26, 2013 at 01:58 PM
CareyNash
• • •
p.1 #12 · mountain wedding in Banff

Cassario wrote:
Great shots Carey, number 2 is probably my favorite and 4 is awesome too. Im trying to figure out the focus plane on 4, is the blur done in post or did you free-lens that shot? Just curious.

This was with the 45 mm ts from Nikon. I have three lenses torn apart to free-lens and although I had fun with it, it was so hit or miss and delicate for me and never enjoyed monkeying around and wasting time trying to do it the way I can in two seconds with the ts lens.

Sep 26, 2013 at 03:27 PM
CareyNash
• • •
p.1 #13 · mountain wedding in Banff

cineski wrote:
I have to say as well, 4 is awesome. From a client pov they probably loved it. From a photographer pov, my eye went right to the groom's head where over-manipulation of the image is apparent. And agree with the rest, 3 is uncomfortable. I'm personally over the washboard poses.

100% agree. It's all I see as well but the average viewer never seems to mention it and I actually tried to clean it up afterwards but had no success and just opted to leave it as it was. I'm with you though.

Sep 26, 2013 at 03:28 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #14 · mountain wedding in Banff

Carey, one of the best thing's I've learned as a photographer and something I still tend to ignore, is that the average viewer just doesn't see what I see in terms of qualities of an image. I read photographers arguing until they're blue in the face about things when the people paying them and sustaining their careers will have no clue either way. It's either A) do I (the client) like the way I look and B) is there something obvious about the qualities of the image that's taking the viewer away from the moment. All else is academic.

Sep 26, 2013 at 04:32 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password