Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Best time of day for birding?

Tapeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best time of day for birding?

I understand about light, ("The golden hours etc.") but I'm wondering about the habits of waterfowl and other birds as far as when you are most likely to see them.

It seems to me that this year I have not seen as many birds as in past years around here. I live in central Minnesota and I have no problem with early or late shooting.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Sep 24, 2013 at 08:48 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best time of day for birding?

IMO, early in the day is usually the most productive. For the most part if you get somewhere at noon, bring a cot! The few hours before sunset can also be productive but not as productive as early morning.

Tim

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best time of day for birding?

Tim Kuhn wrote:
IMO, early in the day is usually the most productive. For the most part if you get somewhere at noon, bring a cot! The few hours before sunset can also be productive but not as productive as early morning.
Tim

Tapeman,
Ditto Tim's info here. In the early morning the birds are hungry and foraging. Some species of waterfowl are moving from overnight roosting areas to daytime feeding areas--good flight shots. Territories are being defended against interlopers. Scope out good shooting areas the day(s) before, then arrive in the early morning dark and be ready to shoot as soon as you have enough light. This has several advantages: (1) you catch the first morning bird action, (2) if you don't make any aggressive moves, the waking birds may see you as part of the landscape and will be more trusting, and (3) as you mentioned, you get that great early morning, frontal light.

You probably already know there are several good apps and websites that will give you info on the time of beginning twilight and and compass directions for the rising sun at your location--so you know when to arrive and where to position yourself to get the best light angles. Use these same sources of information to position yourself at roosting sites in the late afternoon. (Get there before the birds do.)
---John

Examples:
1. Sandhill cranes leaving their roosting pond in the first morning light.
http://cubit.smugmug.com/Nature/Salton-Sea-1/i-8ZddTt2/2/L/_DSC7118-L.jpg

2. Sandhill cranes returning to their roosting pond in the late evening.
http://cubit.smugmug.com/Nature/Salton-Sea-1/i-cqfJV2T/1/L/_DSC1427-L.jpg

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:04 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best time of day for birding?

A couple of the places I like to shoot are best in the later part of the day as I'm shooting toward the east. Some of the parks are gated and don't open until 8: AM

I guess more exploring is in order.

I still think that the bird population in this area is down this year as I have several places that I have gone for years. Having said that, the spring migration was quite busy.

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:16 PM
acjd
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best time of day for birding?

Tapeman wrote:
I understand about light, ("The golden hours etc.") but I'm wondering about the habits of waterfowl and other birds as far as when you are most likely to see them.

Google is your friend ... The answer will always be ..., in general ...

Well when are you the most hungry, unless you are an owl ...

Dawn ...

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:22 PM
dorian
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best time of day for birding?

morning is great for ducks and shorebirds since people will scare these off later in the day. once families, kids, and dogs show up........fuhgedabowdit! time of day doesn't matter much for coastal birds (assuming, again, there aren't people to scare them off). tides matter more than time of day along the coast so consult your local tide tables and plan your trip around them.

for songbirds, most of whom eat insects, you actually want to let the sun get up a bit. these birds most eat insects and so they will start feeding as soon as their food source is available. insects don't generally like cold, so forest/wood edges where the sun warms up the trees/bushes/flowers first will be the first to get interesting.

each type of bird has different behaviors that you will learn as you watch them more and more.

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:53 PM
Reeftank1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best time of day for birding?

Good mornings! most always....

Brian

Sep 24, 2013 at 04:11 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.