Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · My First AFMA: No Cost And Effective

TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · My First AFMA: No Cost And Effective

Diggler I have probably forgotten more things about photography and technology than you know. With all due respect.

I bought both my bodies at the same time and all my lenses work perfectly on them. If one body was not perfect I would have sent it back. If one lens was not perfect on both I would have sent it back.

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM
photosymbol
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · My First AFMA: No Cost And Effective

TTLKurtis wrote:
Diggler I have probably forgotten more things about photography and technology than you know. With all due respect.

How would you know that? We don't even know who Mr. Diggler is...

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · My First AFMA: No Cost And Effective

photosymbol wrote:
How would you know that? We don't even know who Mr. Diggler is...

I'm right until proven wrong. That's how the internet works.

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:23 AM
mjoshi
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · My First AFMA: No Cost And Effective

Here is something that could help with people having questions about zoom lens calibration - this is not definite technique but more of explanation of what to expect with zoom lens calibration keeping in mind Camera limitation

http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/faqs/how-do-you-calibrate-zoom-lenses/

So based upon this, is it reliable assumption that prime lenses are easy to calibrate compared to zooms.

On a side note, why so much negative attitude directed at specific person who is simply trying to share some information he found useful. If you don't agree with it don't take it but what is point with all this negative attitude ?

Sep 26, 2013 at 09:37 AM
photosymbol
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · My First AFMA: No Cost And Effective

I don't have a negative attitude, i think someone giving out so much opinion about different things - it would help to know who we are speaking to. And i believe he has misrepresented which country he lives in, and possibly what his profession is since he hasn't posted a single photo of his own. Which adds to the mystery.

Does he have to post a photo to be a part of this forum? Of course not. But isn't just a little odd?

Lastly, it isn't a secret that i think this section of the forum should require users to have their real website in their profile. Many others agree. Not sure where, if anywhere it has gone. But i think it's a good idea that we know the expertise of the person we are speaking to that is giving actionable advice.

Sep 26, 2013 at 09:42 AM
mjoshi
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · My First AFMA: No Cost And Effective

photosymbol wrote:
I don't have a negative attitude, i think someone giving out so much opinion about different things - it would help to know who we are speaking to. And i believe he has misrepresented which country he lives in, and possibly what his profession is since he hasn't posted a single photo of his own. Which adds to the mystery.

Does he have to post a photo to be a part of this forum? Of course not. But isn't just a little odd?

Lastly, it isn't a secret that i think this section of the forum should require users to have their
...Show more

As with any advise - you don't have to take it if you don't think that helps your situation, irrespective of how proficient the person giving advise is - be it ghost writer or real person.

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:10 AM
photosymbol
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · My First AFMA: No Cost And Effective

It's not just my situation, it's everyone's situation. You also don't list your website, so it's no mystery as to why you are taking to this subject and seemingly taking the side of Mr. Diggler.

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM
photosymbol
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · My First AFMA: No Cost And Effective

Stand up, be a real person. Stand behind your words. Have confidence in your work.

What reason do you all have for hiding behind a username? I don't get it...

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:56 AM
mjoshi
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · My First AFMA: No Cost And Effective

photosymbol wrote:
It's not just my situation, it's everyone's situation. You also don't list your website, so it's no mystery as to why you are taking to this subject and seemingly taking the side of Mr. Diggler.

If you don't agree with someone's information then contradict it with your own opinion and counter argument instead of trying to make thread about personal attacks. I've listed my work more than once on this forum, so if you take courtesy of learning how to use this forum, you will find it. Throughout this thread you've posted nothing that add anything positive to this thread except ranting about Diggler, Educate yourself and rise above your own personal issues.

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · My First AFMA: No Cost And Effective

Careful now. You'll get your posts deleted for calling someone out.

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:18 PM
photosymbol
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · My First AFMA: No Cost And Effective

mjoshi wrote:
If you don't agree with someone's information then contradict it with your own opinion and counter argument instead of trying to make thread about personal attacks. I've listed my work more than once on this forum, so if you take courtesy of learning how to use this forum, you will find it. Throughout this thread you've posted nothing that add anything positive to this thread except ranting about Diggler, Educate yourself and rise above your own personal issues.

That's ok. I'm ok with being wrong about you. I'm a real person. Get it? I'm really not trying to ruffle any feathers.

But i do dislike those that hide behind usernames.

Sep 26, 2013 at 01:32 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · My First AFMA: No Cost And Effective

For those of you here who may want to give this AFMA method a try, having done it myself, I would like to add a few helpful notes ...

1. Put the tape measure (which is held up by the pencil) right up against the box, so that it's actually touching the box. And affix the target right to the edge of the box, abutting the tape measure. This will help when it comes to analyzing the results later on.
And will also help when you position the tape measure's "1' " marking exactly in parallel with the target. (Tape the target top and bottom to the box so that the target stays flat to the box.)

2. You can easily make your own focus target, as I did. Just cut a 2.5" x 2.5" square of white copy paper and take a thickish black marker and draw an "X" on on the paper, like this:

The actual target I made was an "X" with a "+" sign on it, like this:

3. The recommended distance from camera to target is 25X the focal length, though I've heard you can use anywhere from 5X to 50X. What I've found is that the farther back you are, the easier it is to tell if focus is off. For example, at 3' from camera to target, focus will be off 1/2" but move back to a 6' camera-to-target distance, and the focus will be off 1".
(When calculating the recommended 25X distance, it was said to ignore the crop factor of the smaller sensored cameras in your calculations ... full frame or crop makes no difference.)

My actual camera to target distance was 17X the focal length, which seemed to work out fine.

Here's an online calculator to convert lens focal length in millimeters to inches:

http://www.convertunits.com/from/mm/to/inches

Any questions, don't be shy.

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:53 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.