New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

After posting the images from Mary's maternity session, this beautiful mama to be hired me to do a maternity session for her in the red rocks. I love how it came out! I have just begun editing and will add a few more as I go. I have to share an email she sent me when she saw the images go up on my Facebook page:

"EEEK!! I just wanted to say thank you SO much for photographing me. I had a really great time taking the pictures as well. With other photographers I've worked with in the past I felt uncomfortable and they really rushed my pictures, it was just a bad experience. With you I felt so at ease and you were so much fun to talk to, your daughter was really sweet and helpful as well. I really felt like you wanted to get the best shots possible and I really appreciate all the time and effort you put into my session. Even with the crazy winds everything turned out better than I could've ever dreamed. I've seriously tried picking a favorite so far, and I can't! You are the most amazing photographer no doubt, and a really fun, cool, person to be around! Words can't describe how thankful I am ! I definitely want to have another shoot with you sometime before I have to leave in December with my newborn and my son! Pleaseeee let me know when the next time you will be available is! I HAVE to have more shoots with you haha."

And that makes it all worth it.

1a

2 (the color can be seen on my Facebook page).

3b (just for you, Jeremy)

4b

Edited on Sep 26, 2013 at 11:04 PM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:20 PM
GCasey
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

WOW!

The mom-to-be's comments make it all worth while. The income is great, but the appreciation of your craft and are is more important.

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:32 AM
TiSE
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

Stunning work again Lisa... Cudos to you.

All natural light this time ?

Sep 24, 2013 at 03:20 AM
smackem
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

Amazing images Lisa, as always!

Just love seeing your posts, very well done!

Sep 24, 2013 at 04:52 AM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

Perfect work again Lisa" :-)

Forgot to mention the last one is my favorite, man is it ever beautiful !

Sep 24, 2013 at 05:44 AM
Gary Schmeidle
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

Never tire of this location and your work there Lisa, stunning captures again!

As much as I like the first one, I think that 11 is my favorite, gorgeous! And very nice sunflares especially 5!

Nice to get those emails as well!

Sep 24, 2013 at 07:07 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

Stunning! Your ability to pop the colors, yet keep the skin tones blows my mind. Well done!

Sep 24, 2013 at 08:28 AM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

saw this on facebook "best maternity photos" fan page. looks great Lisa.

I'm curious..

sessions like this are they typical? with the location, the wardrobe and the styled shoot type?

Who picks the wardrobe, you or the client?

Also are you using all natural light or are you using off camera flash with any of them? a few of them the skin tones look so perfect and color balanced it looks like off camera flash.

Sep 24, 2013 at 09:17 AM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

Thanks guys! So to answer a few questions, yes, these were all natural light. The last was a composite (masking around hair is a pita lol). The real background in that particular shot was very distant land/hills that was blurred out into bokeh. It didn't do anything for me so I decided to change things up a bit. They were all shot with the 200L except for the b&w (#2) which was shot with the 85L. This particular location is about 2 1/2 hours from me, so clients pay extra if they want their session shot here. If they pay extra, I'm up for the drive. I always help style my clients. In this particular case, she wanted the stuff I used in Mary's shoot so that's what we used. I asked her if she brought anything she'd like to include but she just wanted to use what I had. I am always adding to my 'maternity wardrobe' so I have things on hand for these sessions. Thanks again guys!

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Nate A.
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

Another outstanding set Lisa! Really look forward to seeing your posts. Keep it up!

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

Nate A. wrote:
Another outstanding set Lisa! Really look forward to seeing your posts. Keep it up!

Thank you!

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

Lisa_Holloway wrote:
Nothing wrong with doing what works, what you love, and what brings in $$. There's my 2 cents.

Absolutely. If your clients are attracted to this specific "setting", are paying you to replicate the pictures they saw in your portfolio, and you genuinely enjoy making the same picture over and over, go for it, and don't let the naysayers distract you!

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:26 AM
jodo
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

Excellent work, Lisa. Interesting variations in contrast and saturation. I particlularly admire six seven and ten.
I find the criticism of "repetitive" to be boring and well... ignorant. Professional artists do many works that are similar and in their style and genre. They are after all satisfying the demands of a paying public. Paying being the important word here.

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

I'm just posting in this thread (which I was linked to, thanks for that, random hater) to show I'm not the Brazillian dude - Fred or another mod feel free to verify the accounts or internet providers are different.

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:12 PM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

Thanks for sharing your photos and testimonial. The question of self promotion has come up on the forums before. Almost universally, the responses have been positive.
I believe that since we live in a time when everyone has a camera. Any time someone goes out of their way to have a professional take their photo, and then share their experience with others, it can only be a good thing for all photographers.
If I had a beautiful backdrop custom made, and everyone loved that backdrop, you can bet there would be a lot of photos with that backdrop floating around. (I would of course need to have taken a beautiful photo and processed it beautifully for people to want it.)

Keep taking beautiful images and keep sharing your success.
I would guess you inspire more people than you bore

BTW... 11 is out-of-this-world good!
Greg

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

Thank you. @Jeremy - I never thought you were the guy from Brazil - I have my suspicions about someone else though.

I do have a question for those who think it's boring/same old same old - if it's that boring - why do you click on it? Why do you even waste 30 seconds of your day to look at something you know is going to be boring, and then waste another 30 seconds to make sure I KNOW that you think it's boring? *scratches head*

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

Well, I suggest you cease looking at my posts from here on out because I have a lot of future 'red rock' sessions scheduled and I am very excited for each and everyone of those darn boring repetitive red rock sessions!

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Frock
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

Outstanding, the first one and the last one blew me away. Epic set once again.

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Gary Schmeidle
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

Lisa_Holloway wrote:
Thanks guys! ..... In this particular case, she wanted the stuff I used in Mary's shoot so that's what we used. I asked her if she brought anything she'd like to include but she just wanted to use what I had. I am always adding to my 'maternity wardrobe' so I have things on hand for these sessions. Thanks again guys!

After reading this, one could anticpate some similarity in the maternity shoots. But boring? And as far as dealing with criticism, you probably should have said "thanks guys" a few more times.

Keep posting, I always enjoy seeing your work, red rocks or no red rocks.

Sep 24, 2013 at 03:16 PM
4meNex7
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Cinzia {Maternity in the Red Rocks}

Great series Lisa. I really like the lighting in #6. In my eyes it brings a glow of light around the intent of the image, the miracle of life. Beautiful! As far as boring? When I see your name, I know what to expect, as is the case with all the other regular posters. If I don't like a style of work I just move on. C&C means discussing points about an image that may help the poster, or the one critiquing it. It is not commenting on whether you find it boring. Is it critique to view a gallery of Picasso paintings, and because the style of the paintings are similar, call it boring. No that is not critique, it is ones opinion as to whether they like the style of the work. I don't post here because a good part of the work here is better then mine. Occasionally I will make a comment on a small point that I think may improve an image. I think to post just to comment that I feel someones post in boring, because I don't like their style is counterproductive to what this forum is about. If you find a post boring, fine, just move on. By the number of favorable replies to this thread, the naysayers on in the minority.
Please continue to post your work Lisa. You put a lot of thought and work into your images, and it is appreciated by many here. I sure wish I had access to some of the scenery that you have.
regards
Ed

Sep 24, 2013 at 04:31 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.