Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Engagement Photo Shoot FAQ?

ucphotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Engagement Photo Shoot FAQ?

There is the very excellent wedding photo resource and info thread. However, I did a bit of searching and while there are lots of engagement photo session threads, I didn't see a resource thread for engagement photo sessions. Is there such a beast?

I am doing a engagement photo shoot for a cousin's daughter. It will be my first. I have done some photo shoots with my daughter and her husband, a time or two, so I have some general experience, but it is pretty limited. And my daughter was more or less self-directing. She had some idea of what she wanted, so I worked with that and took the photos.

What do I need most? I have lots of landscape photography experience, so I know which end of the camera to look through. What I need most is advice on how to guide the session. I am not really a director sort of person. I like taking candids, such as at family gatherings. That is the role of a more or less silent and invisible observer. However, for an engagement session, I will not be solely an observer, but rather an observer and director. Any guidance on that process will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:53 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Engagement Photo Shoot FAQ?

What you need most is the hardest to get, lots of practice taking photos of couples. You may try a crash course in some creativelive.com posing/interaction videos and clip some ideas from some good photographers as inspiration. At least it isn't a wedding, so you can just go out there and have fun while learning on the job.

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:11 AM
ghdarnell
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Engagement Photo Shoot FAQ?

Something that was enormously helpful to me was tagging along with another experienced photographer to get an idea of how they flow. Unfortunately it's rare to find someone willing to allow it, but the worst that can happen is they say no I suppose.

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:11 PM
ucphotog
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Engagement Photo Shoot FAQ?

...so you can just go out there and have fun while learning on the job.

Sounds like good advice. Thanks.

As to tagging along, I don't know any wedding photographers, so that's really an option. A good idea though. Thanks.

Sep 27, 2013 at 09:40 PM
RSpears

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Engagement Photo Shoot FAQ?

Posing a couple to get some romantic shots can be awkward and difficult if you're not used to it. One resource I found is some of the Youtube videos by Doug Gordon. I'm not a big fan of Gordon, but his posing "flow" is really pretty good.

Sep 30, 2013 at 01:41 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.