FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Thanks Doc- A Hike through the mountains

ScottHM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thanks Doc- A Hike through the mountains

Thanks to the doctor who just a year ago this week decided to give me a new hip, another had refused to do it. I got these shots this past August hiking on Vancouver Island. It was the first true test of what I could do. It ended up being about 10 miles round trip. I turned around when people coming back up the trail were complaining about getting all stung up from wasps that a bear had dug up three of their nests. One couple I passed said it hadn't been that way when they came up the trail an hour before.
Please give me any criticism you'd like, I've been working with new software to me..Topaz Clarity, and I'm still undecided if I like it, and how to fit it in with my usual workflow.

Edited on Sep 23, 2013 at 05:51 PM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2013 at 05:42 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thanks Doc- A Hike through the mountains

rest of the way

Edited on Sep 24, 2013 at 01:42 AM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2013 at 05:44 PM
acjd
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thanks Doc- A Hike through the mountains

#1 all the way.

A classic shot from nearly, but not quite, a full frame fisheye of tall trees ...

We'll done

Sep 23, 2013 at 06:15 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thanks Doc- A Hike through the mountains

It's 1 for me too Scott. But all are nice ~ Ron

Sep 23, 2013 at 06:58 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thanks Doc- A Hike through the mountains

Really lovely set Scott ! My favorites are 1 , 3, 5 and 6 . Looks like the doc did a great job , 10 miles is a long hike !

Birdie

Sep 23, 2013 at 07:13 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thanks Doc- A Hike through the mountains

These are super nice Scott. I have no eye for these kinds of shots (yet). Was in a big cedar forest that past week and didn't come close to matching any of yours. Well done.

Sep 23, 2013 at 07:45 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thanks Doc- A Hike through the mountains

It looks like a great hike Scott, any hike with grand trees like that has to be rewarding I too like the first one the best of the set, a super shot indeed!!!!

I think the others look over cooked, maybe too sharpened? I don't know that software so I really can't offer anymore than that. Is that the look you going for?

Tim

Sep 23, 2013 at 08:20 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thanks Doc- A Hike through the mountains

Nice set!
The first one is very cool!!!
BeeBalm

Sep 23, 2013 at 08:31 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thanks Doc- A Hike through the mountains

An excellent selection of images, Scott.
I also find the first shot extraordinary.
IMO they all look a bit oversharpened- in the sense that the real world isn't really that sharp.
Does the term "crunchy" describe it?
Charlie

Sep 23, 2013 at 08:54 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Thanks Doc- A Hike through the mountains

acjd wrote:
#1 all the way.

A classic shot from nearly, but not quite, a full frame fisheye of tall trees ...

We'll done

Thanks...I did want something to give a little perspective how tall the trees were there.

surfnron wrote:
It's 1 for me too Scott. But all are nice ~ Ron

Thanks Ron...I did the best I could and not getting dizzy looking up
Scott

birdied wrote:
Really lovely set Scott ! My favorites are 1 , 3, 5 and 6 . Looks like the doc did a great job , 10 miles is a long hike !

Birdie

Thanks Birdie I am kind of partial to the 6th one, it was kind of the gateway to the best part of the hike.

KCollett wrote:
These are super nice Scott. I have no eye for these kinds of shots (yet). Was in a big cedar forest that past week and didn't come close to matching any of yours. Well done.

Thanks Ken
There are plenty of yours that I wish I could match
Scott

Sep 23, 2013 at 08:56 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Thanks Doc- A Hike through the mountains

Tim Kuhn wrote:
It looks like a great hike Scott, any hike with grand trees like that has to be rewarding I too like the first one the best of the set, a super shot indeed!!!!

I think the others look over cooked, maybe too sharpened? I don't know that software so I really can't offer anymore than that. Is that the look you going for?

Tim

Thanks Tim...it was fun, and nice getting back out there.
It's actually the problem I'm having with the software, any incremental change is causing results like that. I've tried backing off my sharpening, stayed away from the softwares presets and just making slight changes using it but haven't quite found the key. I'm still on a trial version of it and will have to see if any more changes I do in LR4 before I take it into PS6 will make a difference. Some of the results I like, some just so so...most of these I've done about 4 times before just figuring I'd post and see what others had to say.

Sep 23, 2013 at 09:02 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Thanks Doc- A Hike through the mountains

BeeBalm wrote:
Nice set!
The first one is very cool!!!
BeeBalm

Thanks Bee...I'm wanting to get the others to look like the first, because it was such a great area.

Charlie Shugart wrote:
An excellent selection of images, Scott.
I also find the first shot extraordinary.
IMO they all look a bit oversharpened- in the sense that the real world isn't really that sharp.
Does the term "crunchy" describe it?
Charlie

That would probably best describe it...most of the sharpening I'm doing is what many are doing here, and then I back off from those levels...but the software is giving me fits in trying to get things to look right...most of the initial sharpening starts around 50% and .05 radius...I know others have been using the software with success, but in the landscape mode it's been a little frustrating.

Sep 23, 2013 at 09:09 PM
gnbuzz
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Thanks Doc- A Hike through the mountains

Scott, welcome back to the walking wounded! If you hadn't gotten that hip, you wouldn't have giving us that great No. 1 shot. I had knee surgery this summer and timed it so I also could go hiking on Vancouver Island.

Glenn

Sep 23, 2013 at 09:17 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Thanks Doc- A Hike through the mountains

Congrats on getting back to being able to do the hikes in the first place and finding a surgeon to get you back on your feet. The first shot is amazing...but love the feel of the whole series.
Eric

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Thanks Doc- A Hike through the mountains

gnbuzz wrote:
Scott, welcome back to the walking wounded! If you hadn't gotten that hip, you wouldn't have giving us that great No. 1 shot. I had knee surgery this summer and timed it so I also could go hiking on Vancouver Island.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn...the real pro of the area was the parks info booth volunteer I first met at the trailhead before he went for his morning hike. Asked if I wanted to go with him, but I had to find a place to camp first. We got to talking...Gerry is 67, had both knees replaced, shoulder replaced, part of his intestine removed because of cancer surgery and holds out his hands on his hiking poles and goes, "look, no thumbs either". Man was a marvel, and hiking that same trail. Sorry I didn't go with him, lived in the area since 67, probably had great stories to tell.

eyelaser wrote:
Congrats on getting back to being able to do the hikes in the first place and finding a surgeon to get you back on your feet. The first shot is amazing...but love the feel of the whole series.
Eric

Thanks Eric...I do owe him a lot..That whole area is beautiful..I've kayaked the western coast a bit, but haven't really gotten too much of a chance to get into the interior. That'll happen more now.

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:05 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Thanks Doc- A Hike through the mountains

nicely done Scott.. #1 for me also

Sep 24, 2013 at 03:10 AM
waldr_p
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Thanks Doc- A Hike through the mountains

No.1 is a really impressive shot, that one really works for me.

Paul.

Sep 24, 2013 at 03:05 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.