Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Pelican case?

gratefool1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Pelican case?

Hey guys. I am looking to get a pelican case for when I am on the boat. I shoot a canon 1d2 and a 100-400 lens mostly for bif. I am planning on getting the foam option so I can customize it to fit my camera snugly with the lens attached for quick access. My concern is the constant shaking and "chatter" of a boat at speed... Some days the waves can give you a pounding in the smaller boats, even inshore.
Is the foam option sufficient? Any input on size? I thought about getting a larger case so I could also take other lenses, but I really think I want to minimize lens stress so I'll probably only take the one unless I'm shooting family as well.
Thanks for any and all input!
Ab

Sep 23, 2013 at 09:37 PM
dgdg
• • •
p.1 #2 · Pelican case?

Never used on in a boat, but have taken it on planes. People like the dividers better from what I read, so that is what I have. They complain about the foam breaking down over time. You can always add your own extra padding. I have the 1514 carryon which holds a 600mm f4, 5D, a couple lenses, extenders, battery pack, drop in polarizer. You can get the next size up if you carry lots of stuff.

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:02 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #3 · Pelican case?

I used to use the foam version for geophysical instrumentations and would rather get that if you know the box will be in constant bumping. The dividers will not give such a snug fit than the foam gives. A bit of work is involved to cut the thing but it's great in the end

Pelicans are great, get them a bit larger than you think..

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:50 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #4 · Pelican case?

I agree that the foam will be a more secure fit, but once it is cut...bought the foam version and quickly switched to the TrekPak inserts that are easily reconfigured when your needs change.

TrekPak

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:55 AM
lukeb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Pelican case?

I had a Pelican that was cut for my XL-1. Loved it - took a beating and kept on ticking. Liked it so much when I bought an XL-2, got the same case. As for the foam, never had a problem in 7 years, but I can see if you lived in a high humidity area, the foam may not last as long.

You won't go wrong with a Pelican, and the foam, I believe, will suit you best for your purpose.

Sep 24, 2013 at 03:14 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Pelican case?

This company does a great job making custom foam inserts:

http://www.mycasebuilder.com/

Sep 24, 2013 at 09:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Pelican case?

You might want to something like pouches.

http://optechusa.com/lens-filter-pouch.html

if you go w/ the divider kind of setup. Or, really, some sort of sorbithane (sp) material
below/above the lenses to help w/ vibration suppression.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A1EPE8IE7JPHY4

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:45 PM
gratefool1

p.1 #8 · Pelican case?

Thanks all

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #9 · Pelican case?

I like my Pelican case, but if I were buying today I would check out some of the competitors. The Pelicans are quite heavy empty. I think you could find equal protection in a lighter package. I would get the size that fits in the overhead compartment of an airplane- I can't remember the model number.

Sep 25, 2013 at 02:38 PM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #10 · Pelican case?

I love Pelican cases. I own the following1660 w/ dividers & lid organizer, 1650 w/dividers, 1550 w/dividers and the one setup for a 17" laptop. I've even thought of getting another 1650 for photography equipment and a 1660 for other uses. I live in a RV and used them for storage after having a RV fall apart like wind blowing down a house of cards after an accident.

Sep 28, 2013 at 03:55 AM
Chris S.
• • •
p.1 #11 · Pelican case?

I have three Pelicans in different sizes, all with the dividers, not foam. I like the dividers because it's easy to reconfigure the case for the gear to be used on a particular outing, and as my gear changes over time. My cameras and lenses have been well protected in jolting movement as harsh as any boat is likely to dish out--such as a pickup truck barreling across thousands of miles of washboard roads (where you need to keep your speed up to surf the crests of the bumps) or bouncing, (a bit more slowly) on mountain two-track where my head sometimes hits the ceiling of the truck.

Remember that is is pretty easy to arrange the dividers so that a lens or camera has a very snug fit. My gear is not rolling around within the dividers, and after years of such travel, I have no sense that it is stressing my gear.

I do make it a point to place the case on top of something soft whenever possible--a foam sleeping pad, upholstered surface, or whatnot--so that some of the vibration is dampened before it reaches the case.

--Chris

Oct 02, 2013 at 04:57 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password