Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

Kathy White
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

I have sold one backup camera (1 DIII) , and traded the other (7D). My main body is a 5DIII. I wanted, or thought I wanted a 1D IV. However, with the Canon Loyalty program offering 5DIII's for 2379. I am finding it hard to give the prices that I am finding, when I do find a 1D IV,

It looks like they are few and far between on the B & S and going for about 2800.00 or more.

I found one used at B & H for 3250, condition 8 plus.
Adorama, 3,399.00 for an excellent.

When reading thru the general consensus on here, it appears the 5DIII slightly gets the nod from most. Which, of course makes it even harder to pay that much more for a 1D IV, not to mention the 1 year warranty with the refurbished 5DIII.
Also, in the pro column would be more MP, same controls on both cameras and I do like the smaller size for my handsize.

The reason for wanting the 1DIV was FPS, since I like to shoot action, 1.3 crop for reach, better water proofing, better battery. As well, as just perhaps other strengths from the 5DIII for variety. I am thinking the 1.3 crop advantage is probably negated by the difference in MP between the 2.

The only other cameras I have considered are the 6D and the 70D. I think I would like their size for traveling, but
it doesn't appear the 6d would do well as a backup or second camera for sports and not sure about the 70D yet.
Before I grab another 5DIII I would appreciate input and others thoughts.

I like to shoot kids sports, (nothing above HS), wildlife, landscapes, portraits, and events. I am retired from working in technology and I do a little work for pay upon request only, but mostly I shoot for enjoyment. MP are important to me, I like to be able to crop heavily or I would have kept the 1DIII.

Thanks for any input, I know I am over thinking this, but don't want to end up selling something else because it doesn't suite my needs. I really want to buy something and be done with it and don't want to be without a backup for long.

Kathy

Sep 23, 2013 at 08:51 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

As far as finding a low price MkIV look on ebay. I won a bid for one from Robert's for $2350 in excellent shape with the box and everything. Took me a handful of tries to win the bid on one though. Good Luck Kathy if you give it a shot....

Sep 23, 2013 at 09:26 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

Kathy -- Where are you going now for your next camera? I know the feeling!

Given my druthers, I'd like to have a reasonably priced, good IQ model for each of the sensor sizes. FF is my main emphasis, so I haven't invested as much in the other two -- relying on 1D3 and 60D. Still, those work very well for what I want.

Now you need to fill that void, don't you. I like your idea of the 1D4 -- good IQ at 16MP, and FAST, plus video if you can ever use it. And the 70D looks like a real advance over the 60D and even the 7D.

The question is: will there be a 7D2 to shuffle the deck in the near future? I'm hanging in there with my 60D until spring, not being pressured to decide.

As you mentioned, you could get another 5D3, but that sort of takes the fun out of playing with gear and having something for those other subjects.

Well, you've sold some key gear! It will be interesting to see what you choose. Good luck!

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

PCKit wrote:
I like to shoot kids sports, (nothing above HS), wildlife, landscapes, portraits, and events. I am retired from working in technology and I do a little work for pay upon request only, but mostly I shoot for enjoyment. MP are important to me, I like to be able to crop heavily or I would have kept the 1DIII.

This sounds a bit like 1Ds MK3 to me. Good AF, probably best resolution from Canon land (real resolution). Reasonable good ISO (sure, its limited ISO, but up to ISO 3200 its same as 5DMK2 and not much worse than 5DMK3).

And thanks to image quality on lower ISO, you can crop all you want. Only things better are in different land than yours.. (that said, nothing from other side has quality of colors from 1Ds MK3 or 1D MK3).

5DMK3 is what I would keep for faster paced "pro" work. 1Ds Mark III for enjoyment pics. And landscapes, portraits.. there it can really shine.

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM
dbick

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

how can you get a clp refurb 5d3 for 2379? i was quoted 2550. is that just the difference in state tax or?

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

sivrajbm wrote:
As far as finding a low price MkIV look on ebay. I won a bid for one from Robert's for $2350 in excellent shape with the box and everything. Took me a handful of tries to win the bid on one though. Good Luck Kathy if you give it a shot....

Agree our B&S hasn't had many MkIV's lately. I have been watching Roberts, Henry's, Calumet, Samy's on eBay. Seemed like there were several good deals (about $2,500) over the summer, but hasn't been much lately. So over the weekend I pulled the trigger on a Buy it Now ($2700) from The Camera Shop in Bryn Mawr. Can hardly wait to get my hands on it this week.

I wrestled with the 5DIII option as well. I've been shooting with a 7D for the last 4 years. This is my daughter's senior year in HS, so I wanted to upgrade for her last season of soccer and ice hockey. The 7D is very good with daylight soccer, but I wanted better AF and high ISO (I'm at 4000 all winter) for hockey.

Since my longest lens is a 100-400, I decided to go with the reach of the MkIV. Sounds like the 5DIII has slightly better AF and high ISO, but the reach and fps trumped that. I also shoot nature and aviation - the 10 fps will be more useful than 6 fps (prop planes at 400mm and less than 1/125 doesn't give you a lot of keepers). The MkIV will still be a significant upgrade over the 7D.

Maybe the 7DII will be killer if it ever gets here. That's what I was really hoping would get released by now.

Mark

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

Kathy, I think that for sports you might find the 1D4 advantage over 5D3 to be significant. For me it's a matter of fps, initial shutter lag time and viewfinder blackout, and greater battery capacity. The built in vertical grip is also a big advantage for me. I prefer the build and feel of 1D series cams, but I also have a 5D3 and love it for many kinds of shooting. Of course you have one and know its strengths.

I'm a moderately small guy, but I do have fairly large hands, and I realize that from the standpoint of handling, things could be very different for you.

I think you'll be fine with either choice, and it could depend upon what kind of a deal you can find for a 1D4. A refurbished 5D3 is a bargain imo.

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

I own both 5D III and 1D IV and still use the 1D IV a lot. There's not a lot between them other than the speed and appreciably shorter shutterlag and VF blackout of the IV. 5D III is a bit better at high ISO, but 1D IV is easily useable to ISO 6400-10000, AF of 5D III is also a bit better, but 1D IV is still excellent. 1D IV has much better battery life and several CFn I find useful not available on the 5D III.

There's still something about the spped and responsiveness of the 1 series I love, but 5D III has really closed the gap. I think they are perfect pair of cameras. It used to be the 5D II and 1D III were considered a great combo, well 5D III and 1D IV is a even better combo.

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

1D IV

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Steve Gotter
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

I too struggled with this very choice. I am primarily a sports shooter and was shooting with a 7D for a number of years. A few months ago I weighed my options and went back and forth between getting a 5D Mark III (which I had previous experience with) and a 1D Mark IV. Ultimately, the FPS, speed, and ruggedness of the 1D won me over. I don't regret my decision in the slightest, it is a beast of a camera.

As others have mentioned before, I really was hoping the 7D Mark II would have been out by now and shown good specs. But I am not one for waiting. I will probably add this camera as my 2nd body and keep my original 7D in the closet once it is finally released.

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

lovetohoop2003 wrote:
I too struggled with this very choice. I am primarily a sports shooter and was shooting with a 7D for a number of years. A few months ago I weighed my options and went back and forth between getting a 5D Mark III (which I had previous experience with) and a 1D Mark IV. Ultimately, the FPS, speed, and ruggedness of the 1D won me over. I don't regret my decision in the slightest, it is a beast of a camera.

As others have mentioned before, I really was hoping the 7D Mark II would have been out by now and
...Show more

We won't see 7D II until well into 2014 I fear. I would be happy if they put the 1D IV internals in the 7D II body and added the ability to change AF modes like on the 7D, 5D III and 1D X.

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Kathy White
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

Gunzorro wrote:
Kathy -- Where are you going now for your next camera? I know the feeling!

Well I know where I would like to go, (1DX) but unfortunately, I can't justify that expense. And yes, if there was a 7D II already, with better IQ and better AF, it would be the easy solution.

I took Jarvis's advice and posted a WTB for a 1D IV on our B & S forum just to see what I might find. I agree that the 1D IV would best fill my needs and give me something with some other strengths and not just
...Show more

Sep 24, 2013 at 05:13 AM
Kathy White
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

Photon wrote:
I think you'll be fine with either choice, and it could depend upon what kind of a deal you can find for a 1D4. A refurbished 5D3 is a bargain imo.

Yes, I agree on all points . Especially the Loyalty Program price on the 5DIII being such a bargain.

Sep 24, 2013 at 05:29 AM
Kathy White
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

dbick wrote:
how can you get a clp refurb 5d3 for 2379? i was quoted 2550. is that just the difference in state tax or?

The quoted me 2379 plus tax, no shipping. I did not get a quote on how much the tax would be. I 'm guessing around 200.00.

Sep 24, 2013 at 05:31 AM
canon.eos30d
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

PCKit wrote:
The quoted me 2379 plus tax, no shipping. I did not get a quote on how much the tax would be. I 'm guessing around 200.00.

On top of $2,379, you will get extra $100 off for purchase more than $500 before Sept 25th.

- Tam

Sep 24, 2013 at 05:36 AM
Kathy White
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

Are you sure you get the 100 off thru the Loyalty program? I did not ask today, but previously were told that you had to choose. ie either loyalty program or sale price.

Sep 24, 2013 at 05:50 AM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

I own 5Dmk3 and 1Dmk4, too. I almost always grab the 5Dmk3, but I do not shoot sports. I still keep the 1Dmk4 around, though. It is a nice camera, too, and I agree with what Whayne wrote above, the battery life is much better, there are more and better C.Fn. options, and you have more Fps, of course.

Sep 24, 2013 at 07:47 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

PCKit wrote:
Are you sure you get the 100 off thru the Loyalty program? I did not ask today, but previously were told that you had to choose. ie either loyalty program or sale price.

You are correct Kathy, Canon does not combine offers on lenses or bodies. CLP at times will give you a discount; the percentage seems to vary tho, when buying a refurb body and lens combo. I've been told 20% off for each, and 20% for the body and 10% for a lens...as a combo...I'm not sure why but this has happened three times.

Last xmas Canon was running a special like the current 'buy $500 or more, get $100 off', looking at a 5D3/100L combo and I was quoted the 20/10 discount by CLP. The 100L refurb was priced at $820, I bought the lens only; getting a slightly better discount...the $20 or so saved was spent on a few rolls of Velvia

---

As for your backup body issue, I'm not much of an action shooter, can easily live with 6fps so the 5D3 would be my choice. However if more FPS is not just a 'nice to have' but a requirement to get better results, a 1D solution seems your only real option...

- Getting a 1DsIII would give you 21mp which might meet your 'cropping' needs but it's 5fps falls short of even your 5D3, so it's out in my book.

- The 1DIV gets you those precious extra FPS and a bit more reach, but are those high-quality 16MPs enough for 'your' cropping needs?

You've had the higher FPS and extra reach with the 7D/1D3, how important are those two features vs extra MP's for cropping? Ultimately that's your biggest issue. Before making a decision I'd want to experiment with a few 1DIV files; RAW and Jpeg, if possible and see if they'll satisfy your cropping/post processing needs/wants. Ask an FMer for some samples, I'm guessing one or two might help

Best wishes with your choice, it's not an easy one...
Jerry

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

Kathy, Having rented the 1DIV on several occasions & owning the 5DIII I think you know the answer. The 1DIV is the camera you need for sports. Good luck, Jim

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Kathy White
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need replace Backup 5DIII, 1D IV, 6D, 70 D?????

Jerry, I wish I needed/wanted one of the lenses they offer with the cameras but I really am only wanting a 135L or a 400 5.6 L. Neither of these are on the list. I asked again yesterday as I have heard that the selection changes. I like your suggestion of asking for a file to play with.

Jim, yes, I know I do, just not sure I am willing to pay for it.

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:46 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password