Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sony rx100 ii and 480ex flash..

John Power
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony rx100 ii and 480ex flash..

Just for the fun of it I attached my 480ex to the hot shoe and it fired. I was surprised. What are the practical considerations and applications of doing this? obviously no Ettl.. The tightening wheel blocks the built in flash from popping up so all the light comes from the 480.

Sep 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony rx100 ii and 480ex flash..

John Power wrote:
Just for the fun of it I attached my 480ex to the hot shoe and it fired. I was surprised. What are the practical considerations and applications of doing this?

The 430 is a good medium-power Speedlite; I have one, and may get another soon to complement my two 580s.

As you say, it won't work in autoflash mode with the Sony, so you need to set it to Manual power mode. You can set the power level either by using a flash meter or by taking test shots and using the preview and/or histogram to dial in the level you want. It's no problem doing that, and with the instant feedback is a lot easier than it was back in the film days.

In addition to more power than the built-in flash, the biggest advantage is the ability to bounce and/or swivel the flash for more-natural looking or more-dramatic lighting.

Edited on Dec 26, 2013 at 10:32 AM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2013 at 03:42 PM
John Power
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony rx100 ii and 480ex flash..

Thanks Brian. Can't I just use the on camera FEC controls to adjust the output? The Sony flash is about $400 and I see no need to spend that is a quick power adjustment will give me good exposure. The built in flash is ok but as you know, it doesn't put out the light a dedicated flash gun does.

One more question. Are you aware of an accessory that will let me fire or off camera?

By the way the flash on that camera makes one smile since it it bigger than the camera...

Sep 23, 2013 at 03:53 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony rx100 ii and 480ex flash..

John Power wrote:
...Can't I just use the on camera FEC controls to adjust the output?

I don't think so; FEC is normally handled through the proprietary signal pins, and so isn't usually interoperable between brands.

John Power wrote:
...The Sony flash is about $400 and I see no need to spend that [if] a quick power adjustment will give me good exposure.

Yeah, that's a bit much just to get automatic flash adjustment. Manual adjustment has worked for generations of photographers, and is still the way it's done with studio strobes -- and many of us use it often even with camera-dedicated Speedlites.

John Power wrote:
...Are you aware of an accessory that will let me fire or off camera?

An off-camera shoe cord will work the same as the Speedlite itself, so since the 430EX works I'd suggest a Canon-compatible one that will also work with a Canon DSLR. Here's a link to my favorite vendor:

http://www.flashzebra.com/ttlcords/ettlcords/index.shtml

Note that on a Canon camera these cords will allow ETTL autoflash, but on the Sony they won't. Since the Speedlite won't work in ETTL on the Sony anyway, that's a non-issue.

You could also use a simple trigger-only radio, like a Pocket Wizard Plus II or Plus III, or any of the inexpensive Chinese-made ones like the Yongnuo YF-603:

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Wireless-Trigger-Shutter-Transceiver/dp/B004YTA15W

(Don't get a more-expensive ETTL/iTTL trigger like a Yongnuo YN-622 or Pocket Wizard Flex TT5, because the Sony won't send the proper codes for them.)

Edited on Dec 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2013 at 04:20 PM
John Power
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony rx100 ii and 480ex flash..

Much appreciated. I will check the on camera FEC control to see of I notice a difference in flash output.

Sep 23, 2013 at 06:06 PM
John Power
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony rx100 ii and 480ex flash..

My mistake. No FEC in manual buy that's no problem. Much better than the built in flash.

Sep 23, 2013 at 06:58 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony rx100 ii and 480ex flash..

John Power wrote:
My mistake. No FEC in manual...

No mistake in experimenting, though; that's how we learn/grow. Now you know for sure and can take the next steps.

Sep 23, 2013 at 08:23 PM
rosspian

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony rx100 ii and 480ex flash..

Very useful. With all your help I have been able to get the RC-100ii to fire my speedlite 430Ex. It fired with the RX-100ii set to "Flash Off" which meant the built in flash did not pop up.
The 430EX flash fired off camera when connected with a Nissin SC-01 flash cord.
I tried the RX-100ii with a Yongnou 560-III, but it would not fire. Yongnou RF-603II triggers did not work, either.

Mar 28, 2014 at 09:13 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.