Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List
  

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

  

The calm before the storm (one image)
  
 
morby
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · The calm before the storm (one image)


Philly got a ton of rain on Saturday night! Right before the storm came rolling through I pulled the couple outside for a quick photograph. Surprisingly this is close to SOOC. I used a tungsten gel to pop the sky and a rogue flash bender to light up the couple. I feel the light falling on them is a little harsh, but I had to move quickly and didn't have time to set up my soft box.








Sep 23, 2013 at 02:42 PM
friscoron
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · The calm before the storm (one image)



You used a light with a tungsten gel to pop the sky (clouds)? What light did you use on the clouds? I gotta get me one of those!



Sep 23, 2013 at 02:48 PM
Nikon_14
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · The calm before the storm (one image)


Yes, it is harsh- to we who make a living out of this.

For the couple, it's an cheery image from their day w/ a sky that they would've otherwise remembered as gloomy.



Sep 23, 2013 at 02:49 PM
morby
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · The calm before the storm (one image)


friscoron wrote:
You used a light with a tungsten gel to pop the sky (clouds)? What light did you use on the clouds? I gotta get me one of those!


By putting the tungsten gel on my flash I was able to set my WB to tungsten. By setting my WB to tungsten I'm telling my camera to add more blue to the photo. It popped the blue sky even more, while keeping the couple at the proper WB.



Sep 23, 2013 at 02:52 PM
_Rob_S_
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · The calm before the storm (one image)


Clever and a great way to make lemonade out of lemons!

Rob



Sep 23, 2013 at 03:11 PM
dhp_sf
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · The calm before the storm (one image)


I think the blue is a bit overly saturated in the shot. But I get what you're trying to do. Or maybe it's just too dark. Any way to lighten up the sky and still have the awesome cloud texture?


Sep 23, 2013 at 06:50 PM
Jeff Simpson
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · The calm before the storm (one image)


I like it. nice job!


Sep 23, 2013 at 06:54 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



jolson72
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · The calm before the storm (one image)


What color correction gel is that? Would it be a Lee 201 (3200K to 5600K or so?)

Thanks, James.



Sep 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Inku Yo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · The calm before the storm (one image)


This is nice. The only thing I would have tried to do is include the ground all the way across. Just a personal thing.


Sep 24, 2013 at 01:13 AM
morby
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · The calm before the storm (one image)


Thanks for the comments!

Inku - I felt the same way, but it was a steep downhill.

Jolson - It was a Honl Photo tungsten gel. I'm not sure about the exact color temp




Sep 24, 2013 at 02:49 AM
morby
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · The calm before the storm (one image)


dhp_sf wrote:
I think the blue is a bit overly saturated in the shot. But I get what you're trying to do. Or maybe it's just too dark. Any way to lighten up the sky and still have the awesome cloud texture?


Thanks for the comment! Because of the gel and tungsten WB the camera did most of the saturation, I just popped it a bit more. I'm going to play with it a little bit to see if another style works better.

Here is the SOOC with the blue sky...








Sep 24, 2013 at 02:51 AM
Inku Yo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · The calm before the storm (one image)


morby wrote:
Thanks for the comments!

Inku - I felt the same way, but it was a steep downhill.

Jolson - It was a Honl Photo tungsten gel. I'm not sure about the exact color temp



Sometimes in a situation like that, I'll shoot a couple frames with the ground in the shot even if it's uneven or steep... just in case. I also shoot several variations of the shot in different compositions. couple in each quadrant... lower right/left, upper right/left, centered, legs cut off, etc... the day goes by quickly and you can never tell by glancing at the back of your camera which way will look best.



Sep 24, 2013 at 03:30 AM
morby
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · The calm before the storm (one image)


Inku Yo wrote:
Sometimes in a situation like that, I'll shoot a couple frames with the ground in the shot even if it's uneven or steep... just in case. I also shoot several variations of the shot in different compositions. couple in each quadrant... lower right/left, upper right/left, centered, legs cut off, etc... the day goes by quickly and you can never tell by glancing at the back of your camera which way will look best.


That's great advice!



Sep 24, 2013 at 06:55 PM
Inku Yo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · The calm before the storm (one image)


morby wrote:
That's great advice!


Learn that plus much, much more at my upcoming workshop.



Sep 24, 2013 at 07:11 PM





FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password