FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · The myth of hawk watching

eyelaser
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The myth of hawk watching

Oldraven wrote:
As a former principal observer at 2 hawkwatch sites (see profile) I'd like to offer up some impressions gained from the work.

Hundreds of folks visited both sites over the course of a season (~6 weeks). Several takeaways seemed almost universal:

1. As this post indicates, folks who expected great raptor photography were disappointed, with two exceptions: Our sites had a plastic GHO tied lashed to a nearby treetop which occassionally drew spectacular, repeated attacks from falcons & accips. Those photogs who were good, fast & lucky got some dynamite images. One site was also host to a banding operation: the banders
...Show more

Your observations are spot on....photographic opportunities may occur but shouldn't be expected. Novices should absolutely trust that the seasoned observers aren't confabulating their sightings...well most of the time. It is a bit disconcerting however when the 11 year old son of the principle observer sees and identifies everything...snotty kid ...and finally, when you leave, the principle observer thanks you for coming, invites you back and you feel like your presence has been appreciated....that actually was one of the nicest moments I've ever had bird watching.
Eric

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:00 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The myth of hawk watching

acjd wrote:
Unfortunately. that expectation can be found in many people. I've seen tourists in Yellowstone expect Old Faithful to be turned on with a switch because they were in a hurry.

I've seen other tourists hiking in the Grand Tetons asking where the soda vending machines were after being a couple of miles into the mountains

And I've seen people come watch the eagles for an hour, get frustrated that nothing is happening and leave, only to have a flurry of fishing occurring as soon as they leave.

It's as if people expect wildlife to behave on queue, rather than be
...Show more
Wait a minute...Old Faithful isn't on a timer? Oh crap, I budgeted 10 minutes for that. Those of us who do this on a more regular basis get it...at least I hope we do.
And about the soda vending machines, I can't believe people actually think that...we all know there is a cart girl that drives around with drinks
Eric

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:04 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The myth of hawk watching

surfnron wrote:
Sounds like a fun time Eric. Next time take a recliner along with the beer - should be at least twice the fun ~ Ron

Yes a recliner would have come in quite handy...next time I will leave the tripod and lens home and bring that and headphones.
Eric

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:06 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The myth of hawk watching

KCollett wrote:
Thanks for the warning Eric!!

Ken, if they try to con you into do this in Edmonton tell them you are going ice fishing instead.
Eric

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:07 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The myth of hawk watching

cadman342001 wrote:
I feel your pain, went out with friends who run a bird tour business here on sunday. They "got" over 130 birds in the day (usual to get over 100 in a day here easy apparently), I got decent pics of about 10 birds ! About 30 of them they didn't even see just heard.

Andy

Andy, I am quite envious of those that can bird by ear...especially since I can't bird by sight...it's a whole different experience....as much hearing Kate Upton speak might be interesting it somehow pales in comparison to getting a close up view...if you get what I mean
Eric

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:12 PM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The myth of hawk watching

I like the metallic look of those raptors! I had the same experience here once. Definitely not for shutter bugs. Don

Sep 25, 2013 at 06:28 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · The myth of hawk watching

DonGut wrote:
I like the metallic look of those raptors! I had the same experience here once. Definitely not for shutter bugs. Don

Don, I agree...but I am glad to have had the experience..some really great guys/gals.
Eric

Sep 25, 2013 at 06:48 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.